Installing Remote Central Locking

Topic author
stuMR2lee
Years of MR2 Ownership: 7
MR2's Owned: 6

Installing Remote Central Locking

Post by stuMR2lee »

**Final Solution**

It's the Negative Trigger instructions you need to follow.

Find your 'Door Control Relay' by removing the plastic panel under the steering wheel/above where the drivers feet go.

Door Control Relay looks like this (Green or Yellow with Orange plug):ImageImage

Then find the black (lock) and black/yellow (unlock) wires. Pins 10 & 11 on the orange plug. Splice your relevant lock/unlock wires from your new unit to these. Image

Now find permanent +12v source on this same plug (use a multimeter to confirm). Tap into this wire for your power. Possibly pin 12 but do check this.

Earth/Ground will be any suitable bolt on the car body.

If you want the indicators to flash you can tap into the green/black and green/yellow wires on the plug under the steering wheel. You will need a suitable diode on each wire for this. Often they come pre-installed with your remote locking kit.

For the hazard flash, the device outputs a 12V signal of up to 15A to drive the indicators directly on a wire (see your instructions for which wires). Unfortunately, you can't simply hook up the wire because the indicators work on separate circuits. You need the green/black wire and the green/yellow wire located in the main harness under the steering wheel column and a couple of high power diodes. I used 3A diodes which seem to have worked fine and to wire in would look something like this.

Signal Wire from unit ->I- Green/Black Wire
Signal Wire from unit ->I- Green/Yellow Wire

By installing it like that with a couple of diodes means the remote unit can operate the hazards as a lock/unlock indicator but also means that the indicators still work independent of each other.

Ayzaz78

Re: Installing Remote Central Locking

Post by Ayzaz78 »

hi Stu

Been following this thread as i'm trying to get my unlock to work following my alarm being removed by a company who were trying to eliminate my alarm immobiliser being a reason for some ignition probs my jap import 91 mr2 was having.

Now i'm trying to reinstall it i've got everything (alarm arming/chirping/power windows/lock/hazards) working fine but unlock doesn't work from the fob. However lock/unlock does work from fob when key is in ignition - so its missing a signal somewhere and that has led me here.

I've got the TOAD ai606 alarm (red/blue) wire going to the black/yellow wire at the drivers side kick panel where it was originally wired into by the looks of it. (guys who ripped out the alarm left me some clues to work with!). But this doesn't work the door unlock. I haven't tried coupling it with the blue/orange wire yet. Thats next on my list of things to do tonight - not sure if i will need diodes but ive ordered some.

But i have tried wiring the unlock wire only (not the lock wire) directly to the CDL relay wire (black yellow wire) - but this didnt work for me.. i have the same functionality as it did previously in my set up - any clues as to why that wouldnt work with the CDL relay? Do i need to wire in my lock and unlock wires from the alarm unit into the CDLrelay?

Topic author
stuMR2lee

Post by stuMR2lee »

Have you got the Toad install guide? If not pm me your email and I'll send you a copy.

Ayzaz78

Post by Ayzaz78 »

Yes I have it - followed it religiously...

Ayzaz78

Post by Ayzaz78 »

So I've got the red/blue unlock wire from toad going to black yellow in the CDL (orange plug) - not working - and the lock wire joining to the black wire in kick panel.(this works)

Topic author
stuMR2lee

Post by stuMR2lee »

I'd put them both to the CDL. Just make sure the relevant wires are grounded. Not much else I can suggest.

Ayzaz78

Post by Ayzaz78 »

Thanks Stu
I'll play around tomorrow with this and see if i can get this working finally.
Thanks for your reply.

MR2BRU

Post by MR2BRU »

Interesting and very useful, I too am looking at installing remote locking :)

I have an odd one on mine atm, whereby the door lock / unlock switch will only unlock the doors, but not lock them! :confused1:

Bru :th:

Ayzaz78

Post by Ayzaz78 »

Got mine working now by splitting the unlock wire to the black/yellow and blue/orange wires in the drivers kick panel. Haven't used diodes - but I really should!

JayAudio

Post by JayAudio »

Hello any ideas how to hook the factory alarm up to the central locking unit? Can lock doors and close doors alarm activates but when i unlock with fob alarm sounds, need to use key in door to disable, using fob alone with doors closed doesn't activate alarm either. Would be nice to have this working and also thinking of hooking it upto the electric mirrors so they close when locked and open when unlocked but not essential, the alarms my main concern. Cheers -jay

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

What kind of remote ? Factory or after market ? What year/model ?
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Return to “MK2 Useful Information”