Cruising ban West Midlands

The place for all your general chat - Any MR2 related topics will be moved to the appropriate forum sections
G MR2 Turbo
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0
MR2's Owned: 1

Cruising ban West Midlands

Post by G MR2 Turbo » 03/12/17 9:01

http://www.wolverhampton.gov.uk/CHttpHa ... d=5904&p=0

Saw a big yellow sign on the Southbound A38 towards B’ham the other day that mentioned a high court order banning cruising.

Looked it up online and apparently West Midlands Police applied for the order which bans organising and attending cruise meets (even if you don’t take a car!)

Bearing in mind the MR2 meets in Kingswinford are in the West Mids hiw would this effect totally innocent MR2 owners attending the meets if they meet up prior and travel, sensibly of course, in convoy? It would be grossly unfair to punish sensible drivers wishing to attend classic car meets just because the ricers act like total idiots.

Having seen the way some of these idiots arrive and leave the meets at Coopers Square in Burton on Trent I can understand why W Mids police have done this but to potentially have the likes of us dragged down to their level is bang out of order I say.
Black MR2 Turbos matter

angpozzuto
Years of MR2 Ownership: 4
MR2's Owned: 3

Re: Cruising ban West Midlands

Post by angpozzuto » 03/12/17 10:55

I'd imagine something like that would be difficult to enforce. I reckon they'll only start throwing their weight around at the big asbo yoof events. I don't think they'd even notice a dozen mr2s parked properly with owners that don't behave like twats

vinp182
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 100

Post by vinp182 » 03/12/17 15:34

It was mainly done to stop people from racing up and down the duel carriage ways

Never been stopped going to or from an mr2 meet/event
Cars suck donkey balls

TonyleFrog
Years of MR2 Ownership: 11
MR2's Owned: 5

Post by TonyleFrog » 04/12/17 19:43

G MR2 Turbo wrote:
03/12/17 9:01
Looked it up online and apparently West Midlands Police applied for the order which bans organising and attending cruise meets (even if you don’t take a car!)
The 4 Black Country councils obtained a High Court injunction 3 years ago (1st December 2014)
The current ban expires in February next year. I will put money on it being renewed

Just organising one can land you with a hefty fine even if you then cancel it before it happens.
http://www.wolverhampton.gov.uk/article ... High-Court
Take part and you'll be in contempt of court which means you can be imprisoned and gain a criminal conviction on your record. Bad news if your job requires a DBS check. These twonks all received a suspended sentence.
https://www.signal107.co.uk/news/local/ ... igh-court/
http://www.dudley.gov.uk/media/media-re ... njunction/

The entirely predictable result of the Black Country ban was that the oiks responsible migrated to the surrounding areas. So Birmingham City Council followed suit (which will be the sign you saw: the A38 from Burton-on-Trent to Birmingham goes nowhere near any of the 4 Black Country council areas) as has Solihull.
http://www.solihull.gov.uk/Portals/0/Cr ... nction.pdf

These injunctions are not confined to the West Midlands. Other local authorities have applied and been granted them, e.g. Nottingham CC and Southend-on-Sea.
https://www.nottinghamshire.police.uk/s ... 5%2015.pdf
http://www.southend.gov.uk/downloads/do ... _injuction

You can be sure that, like Japanese knotweed, the injunctions will spread. Watch while more and more Councils jump on the bandwagon.
G MR2 Turbo wrote:
03/12/17 9:01
Bearing in mind the MR2 meets in Kingswinford are in the West Mids hiw would this effect totally innocent MR2 owners attending the meets if they meet up prior and travel, sensibly of course, in convoy? It would be grossly unfair to punish sensible drivers wishing to attend classic car meets just because the ricers act like total idiots.
If you read the injunctions they are all alike. They detail the specifically prohibited activities. MR2OC members who behave themselves should have nothing whatever to be concerned about.
The police can hardly stop a group of socially responsible adults going down to the pub for a burger and a drink. It would be completely disproportionate and totally unacceptable.
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

G MR2 Turbo
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by G MR2 Turbo » 04/12/17 22:24

It's the traveling in convoy thing that concerned me more than revving engines and stuff.

One over zealous cop wanting to score a few points....
Black MR2 Turbos matter

TonyleFrog
Years of MR2 Ownership: 11
MR2's Owned: 5

Post by TonyleFrog » 05/12/17 2:10

G MR2 Turbo wrote:
04/12/17 22:24
It's the traveling in convoy thing that concerned me more than revving engines and stuff.
I get your drift point. ;)

Interestingly the Nottinghamshire one does not include 'driving in convoy' as a specific prohibited activity. I don't know the reason for that.

What is concerning is that nowhere in any of the others is there a definition of the term 'driving in convoy'.
G MR2 Turbo wrote:
04/12/17 22:24
One over zealous cop wanting to score a few points....
Indeed. It is so widely drafted it is open to almost any interpretation. For example, without it being defined in any way two cars merely within sight of each other on the same stretch of road could qualify.

At the end of the day it comes down to the police using the power proportionately and exercising common sense (just like a S.59 warning but with far graver consequences). Otherwise every group of beardy OFCs* driving classic cars (such as MG, Healeys, Triumphs, etc. etc.) are at risk.

I still believe that unless you do something stupid to draw attention to yourself in the manner of your driving the likelihood of falling foul of one of these injunctions is unlikely. Mind you, as I don't live anywhere near most of the places mentioned so far and I have absolutely no desire to spend any time in or near Southend-on-Sea, I'm not going to be putting it to the test!

* Like me. :laughing
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

Return to “General Banter”