MK1 will not tickover.

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
mah001

MK1 will not tickover.

Post by mah001 » 20/01/13 11:44

Hi there,
Hope you can help.
Bought an 85 mk1 mr2 two weeks ago. Collected it and drove home 130 miles and apart from little hunting at tickover and only 1/4 showing on temp guage it ran fine.
Parked in garage and following morning found spots of oil under car.
Opened engine lid and found oil everywhere from top of engine down, no lights on dash though and oil level not dropped drastically, found cam cover bolts all hand tight or looser.
Have retightened them, checked oil and coolant levels all seems ok and now car starts easily , no nasty noises or smoke and sounds healthy but have to use accelerator. Soon as accelerator pedal released just dies instantly even after 30 seconds of throttle.
Sorry but have looked through the existing posts but am at a loss seems it could be lots of things.
I am going to do the maual choke conversion this week to see if that helps with hunting etc, then drop and replace coolant etc.
Any idea of most likely or easiest to try first for the not wanting to tickover ?
Thanks

Chris69
Years of MR2 Ownership: 6
MR2's Owned: 4

Re: MK1 will not tickover.

Post by Chris69 » 20/01/13 12:33

Yikes! Sounds like the previous owner was a bit of a tool to leave the engine like that, clearly made a hash of it! Would start by bleeding the coolant system, 1/4 on the guage is well off? Would also be checking vac lines and electrical connectors, manifold bolts, tbh any number of things could be loose..... To be fair if it was mine I would start looking for another engine or parts to start rebuilding it.

sent from my foot to your "censored"!
There is no "it cant be done" only "I cant do it!"

(OO==\°/==OO)

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 13
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi » 20/01/13 13:12

Try switching on the rear window demister and see if it will tickover with that on.
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

mah001

Post by mah001 » 20/01/13 13:18

Thanks will try.
Was running great started etc fine seems to have just stopped with finding oil leak.
Thanks again and will let you know result.

mah001

Post by mah001 » 20/01/13 17:09

Hi again,
I have got in from work and have retried starting the car with the rear demister on.
It now idles but still hunting at very low revs, almost stalling then upto 800 ish.
Hope this makes sense, any ideas appreciated.
Car is in garage but at home but need to drive it to work where there is power and lighting
and can start to sort the whole car. Thanks

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi » 20/01/13 18:27

By putting the demister on you bring in the idle-up VSV which raises the idle by 200 rpm.
Sounds like someone has been messing about or something isn't connected.
Next thing to try is to adjust the warm idle screw. It's located on the throttle body under a round black plastic cover, you can see it in this picture just to the right of the red vacuum line on top of the throttle body.

With the engine running adjust the screw and see if the idle will increase. If it does bring it up to over 1000 rpm then put the demister off (make sure you have no other heavy electrical loads on (ie heater blower, lights, wipers etc) and see what happens.

mah001

Post by mah001 » 20/01/13 18:38

Thanks

mah001

Post by mah001 » 20/01/13 20:32

Have re ran car with demister on and the warm idle screw had no cover..signs of foul play.
Checked it and was fully in, backed it off and revs lifted to 1000 rpm.
Switched off the demister and revs stayed at 1000rpm.
Still hunting slightly but still no unusaul noises,smoke etc.
Thanks for the advice know can be a pain if you given same advice out before.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi » 20/01/13 23:58

Your not finished yet ;) it's still far from correct.
Starting from cold a MK1 should idle at up to 2500 rpm gradually decreasing as the engine warms up so yours is quite right yet, if you carry out some more checks we can narrow down the problem, I wouldn't worry about the hunting just yet.
The cold starting is handled by 2 things, the cold start injector and the AAV ( auxiliary air valve ) Paul Woods manual choke conversion eliminates the AAV (which is infamous for causing problems) and is well worth doing.
With the engine running (from cold) remove the main inlet hose from the throttle body if you look at about the 5 o'clock position you will see a small hole (about 5mm dia ) block off the hole with your finger (press tightly) and see what happens
The hole you want to block is marked C in this picture.

mah001

Post by mah001 » 21/01/13 18:00

Hi again,
I have covered the hole and stalls instantly.
Have all bits to do the manual choke conversion as well.
Cheers

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi » 21/01/13 18:46

Sounds like the AAV is stuck open which would give a very high idle when cold and cause the idle to hunt wildly when warm, someone has adjusted the warm idle screw right down to compensate for this.
Since you have the bits I'd do the manual choke conversion first and then sort the idle out.
Once you have done the conversion you'll probably find the car won't idle at all when you switch the manual choke off. You'll then need to adjust the warm idle screw until car ticks over at about 900rpm (with nothing electrical running) and the manual choke off. Once the engine is up to normal running temp you may need to fine tune the warm idle screw and that should be it :)

mah001

Post by mah001 » 21/01/13 18:56

Cheers..Thanks for all the help.
Here's hoping.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi » 21/01/13 18:58

No worries :th: glad I was able to help :cool1:

mah001

Post by mah001 » 25/01/13 22:53

Hi again,
Quick update, did as you said after fitting the manual choke conversion.
Hvae it now sitting at 1600 rpm when cold and sits at 800/850 when warm and valve switched off.
Bouncing idle gone and engine compression checked and all are within 4 or 5 of each other at 160 to 165.
Engine now sounds and drives great.
Back to my original post the oil leak has turned out to be the previous taking the cam covers off to paint and refitting with the old damaged gaskets and no washers/seals on the bolt heads.
They came undone and hence the oil has dropped over and down the engine.
Now cleaned and new gaskets fitted and all seems well.
Thanks again for all the advice.
Cheers.

Return to “MK1”