tyre pressures

Use this forum to find out what fits and to share fitment information and images.
43 posts • Page 1 of 41, 2, 3, 4

tyre pressures

Postby mrelson101 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:41 am

Hi all picking up my new roadster today and been looking all over for what tyre pressures should be can anyone shed any light on this for me,
thanks mark
mrelson101

Years of MR2 Ownership: 2
MR2's Owned: 2

Re: tyre pressures

Postby RickMcRick » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:44 am

As per KY2

Pre facelift Tyres:

15” Fronts - 185/55/15 – tyre pressure 28psi
15” Rears - 205/50/15 - tyre pressure 32psi

Facelift Tyres:

15” Fronts - 185/55/15 - tyre pressure 28psi
16” Rears - 215/45/16 - tyre pressure 32psi

Or, you can go for a spirited mooch then feel the tire, if the edge is warmer than the center they are too low, if the center is warmer then the edge they are too high and if they're about the same all the way across then they're about right :)
Cars Owned:- Black 94 Mk2 Turbo 2011
White 87 Mk1 NA 2011-2012;SMG 93 Mk2 Turbo 2006-2011
Red 91 Mk2 Turbo 2010-2010;Black 92 Mk2 NA 2003-2006
NW Events<-Click
RickMcRick

Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 5

Postby kentsmudger » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:30 pm

RickMcRick wrote: ... feel the tire, if the edge is warmer than the center they are too low, if the center is warmer then the edge they are too high and if they're about the same all the way across then they're about right

Neat tip - Not heard that one before
The Toyota MR2 mk3 Roadster - Because you're worth it!

Click here to see my pictures.
kentsmudger

Years of MR2 Ownership: 4
MR2's Owned: 1

Postby RickMcRick » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:56 pm

Its probably no substitute for factory recommendations, but when you're on non standard wheels/tires it gives you a good pointer if you're running hard/soft and getting maximum tire contact with the road :)
Cars Owned:- Black 94 Mk2 Turbo 2011
White 87 Mk1 NA 2011-2012;SMG 93 Mk2 Turbo 2006-2011
Red 91 Mk2 Turbo 2010-2010;Black 92 Mk2 NA 2003-2006
NW Events<-Click
RickMcRick

Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 5

Postby msb » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:13 pm

RickMcRick wrote:As per KY2

Pre facelift Tyres:

Facelift Tyres:

Or, you can go for a spirited mooch then feel the tire, if the edge is warmer than the center they are too low, if the center is warmer then the edge they are too high and if they're about the same all the way across then they're about right :)

Those pressures seem high to me other halfs omega barge only has 32 in the fronts where the engine is and that weighs loads more than an mr2, i'd try 26 front and 28 rear to start :th:
msb

Postby kentsmudger » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:09 pm

msb wrote:
RickMcRick wrote:As per KY2

Pre facelift Tyres:

Facelift Tyres:

Those pressures seem high to me other halfs omega barge only has 32 in the fronts where the engine is and that weighs loads more than an mr2, i'd try 26 front and 28 rear to start :th:

Those pressures come from Toyota - As found in the owners manual - This car is pretty sensitive to tyre pressures so recommend you start with the correct pressures and adjust to taste once you are used to the car. I have had mine (on standard size Toyo T1-Rs) for 4 years as a daily driver and have settled on 2psi over the standard pressures.

kentsmudger

Postby msb » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:13 pm

Can't personally ever remember running a car over the recommended pressures, surely on a rwd car thats a recipe for disaster :confused1:
msb

Postby kentsmudger » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:36 pm

msb wrote:Can't personally ever remember running a car over the recommended pressures, surely on a rwd car thats a recipe for disaster :confused1:

Toyos are well known to be a little soft in the sidewall and many Roadster owners run them a little harder. I have also been on trackdays and airfield-based handling instruction days, with the club, where the organisers recommend setting the pressures up to 10psi higher than usual so as not to roll the tyres off the rim under hard cornering. None of us suffered any 'disasters'.

My suggestion was to use the manufacturers recommended pressures from the owners' manual, rather than using a Vauxhall Omega as a reference point, but you do whatever makes sense to you.
:facepalm:

kentsmudger

Postby msb » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:17 pm

I wasn't using the vaux as a reference point, just sayin that the tyre pressures in it are the same as you're recommending, which seems crazy when the omega weighs twice as much :facepalm:
As for trackdays, i do my fair share of them and i have not heard of increasing pressure as a way of improving grip or lap times, usually most on the ones i've been on reduce pressures as the pressures increase dramatically on track,oh and i was using toyos till recently and never encountered problems pulling them off the rim even in my current car that recommends 27psi all round and i was running 24psi with no adverse effects ;)
msb

Postby kentsmudger » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:58 pm

msb wrote:I wasn't using the vaux as a reference point, just sayin that the tyre pressures in it are the same as you're recommending, which seems crazy when the omega weighs twice as much :facepalm:
As for trackdays, i do my fair share of them and i have not heard of increasing pressure as a way of improving grip or lap times, usually most on the ones i've been on reduce pressures as the pressures increase dramatically on track,oh and i was using toyos till recently and never encountered problems pulling them off the rim even in my current car that recommends 27psi all round and i was running 24psi with no adverse effects ;)

I do apologise if I misunderstood you, I thought you were comparing tyre pressures on the MR2 with reference to the Omega, as some basis for suggesting incorrect pressures.

As to track use, I think you have misunderstood me - I did not mention grip or lap-times, I just repeated the advice given by the organisers of a Driver Training Day that I had attended, as an extreme example of "running a car over the recommended pressures" without it being a "recipe for disaster". I am not an expert in these things, I reproduce their experienced advice verbatim below.

My only recommendation would be to set tyre pressures as listed in the post you seemed to disagree with above - ie at the level stated by Toyota. I mentioned that my preference after many miles experience in the car was 2psi higher, out of interest alone.

As I say I am not an expert, but an enthusiast, willing to learn from those more qualified than myself - Perhaps you could clarify the reasoning that led you to say "i'd try 26 front and 28 rear to start"?

CarLimits.com - "TYRES
Please note that as your vehicle will be cornering at speed, you may need to inflate your tyres more than you would normally. Vehicles ... such as Subaru Imprezas, Porsches, Madzas, TVRs etc are recommended to inflate their tyres to the maximum stated on the tyre itself to protect the side wall of the tyre."

kentsmudger

Postby msb » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:46 pm

kentsmudger wrote:
msb wrote:I wasn't using the vaux as a reference point, just sayin that the tyre pressures in it are the same as you're recommending, which seems crazy when the omega weighs twice as much :facepalm:

I do apologise if I misunderstood you, I thought you were comparing tyre pressures on the MR2 with reference to the Omega, as some basis for suggesting incorrect pressures.

As to track use, I think you have misunderstood me - I did not mention grip or lap-times, I just repeated the advice given by the organisers of a Driver Training Day that I had attended, as an extreme example of "running a car over the recommended pressures" without it being a "recipe for disaster". I am not an expert in these things, I reproduce their experienced advice verbatim below.

My only recommendation would be to set tyre pressures as listed in the post you seemed to disagree with above - ie at the level stated by Toyota. I mentioned that my preference after many miles experience in the car was 2psi higher, out of interest alone.

As I say I am not an expert, but an enthusiast, willing to learn from those more qualified than myself - Perhaps you could clarify the reasoning that led you to say "i'd try 26 front and 28 rear to start"?

CarLimits.com - "TYRES
Please note that as your vehicle will be cornering at speed, you may need to inflate your tyres more than you would normally. Vehicles ... such as Subaru Imprezas, Porsches, Madzas, TVRs etc are recommended to inflate their tyres to the maximum stated on the tyre itself to protect the side wall of the tyre."

Obviously what tyres you are running will make a huge difference, but generally in hard use particularly trackwork in my experience it would seem right to reduce pressures to increase grip and improve lap times. Through testing in my own car i have generally found max grip under hard use is achieved through setting the tyre pressures below what is normally recommended because of the increased heat which raises pressures quite significantly which in turn makes the tyres contact patch with the track reduced hence the lack of grip, my recommendations were given based on the fact my current car is of a similar weight to the mk3 mr2 and runs almost the same size tyres but pressures are alot lower than in the mr2, i currently run 25 psi with no problems, and sometimes on track will lower the pressures even further. 26f28r seems to be a good place to start in my experience given the weight of the vehicle and tyre sizes etc, with some tweeking on a test day to find out what suits the driver of the car, bearing in mind some may like higher pressures to decrease grip, maybe to dial in or out understeer/oversteer to enable them to get the best from their vehicle and driving abilites :th:
msb

Postby danleary » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:55 pm

for me personally i run lower pressure. only because i find it safer . the back end has alot more margin before it wants to give way (from what i have found). obviously a better driver with a higer tyre pressure that understands the car better than me , will leave me behind . but its not about them , its about me, knowing my own ability and what lets me have fun while staying safe.
not very techinal i know. :D
danleary

Years of MR2 Ownership: 5
MR2's Owned: 2

Postby msb » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:03 pm

danleary wrote:for me personally i run lower pressure. only because i find it safer . the back end has alot more margin before it wants to give way (from what i have found). obviously a better driver with a higer tyre pressure that understands the car better than me , will leave me behind . but its not about them , its about me, knowing my own ability and what lets me have fun while staying safe.
not very techinal i know. :D

Sounds fairly sensible to me, mark(mrelson101) is finding reduced pressures the way forward as well, we dicussed it before he posted here and i said ask on the forum, can't quite believe some of the answers sometimes tho :th:
msb

Postby kentsmudger » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:28 pm

msb wrote:my recommendations were given based on the fact my current car is of a similar weight to the mk3 mr2 and runs almost the same size tyres but pressures are a lot lower than in the mr2

So you do not even own an MR2. What do you have?

The pressures you have given are incorrect and the car will not feel right. The factory settings are 'a good starting point'.

I am quoting the Toyota manual, and giving my opinion after more than sixty thousand miles, on road and track, on several different tyres, in my Mk3 MR2 - Have you even driven one yet?

kentsmudger

Next

43 posts • Page 1 of 41, 2, 3, 4

Return to MR2 Wheels and Tyres