Help with 2zz conversion

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
tonyrs

Help with 2zz conversion

Post by tonyrs » 07/07/17 13:10

Hi,

I'm midway through and engine conversion on our MR2 roadster using a Celica 190 engine and 6 speed box.

Celica engine came out no problem with box. However, I spent a long time disconnecting all the sensors and releasing the engine wiring loom due to some very inaccessible positions of sensors/connectors.

Should I have disconnected the loom from the ecu, and pulled it through the firewall to remove still attached with the engine? If so can others shed some light on how they did it and it had me swearing at the car a lot!!

Also the knock sensor on the 2zz looks the same as the one on the 1zz, no need to change this?

thanks in advance and i#m sure i'm going to need more assistance :D !

vinp182
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 100

Re: Help with 2zz conversion- wiring loom removal

Post by vinp182 » 07/07/17 14:20

The loom will probably be clipped to the fire wall so will need those cutting off, in-plugging from the ecu and it should pull through a grommet

The knock sensors do look the same but the codes will probably be different
Cars suck donkey balls

tonyrs

Post by tonyrs » 07/07/17 16:32

thanks.

Does the fuse and relay box have to come out with the loom or can this be unplugged?

vinp182
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 100

Post by vinp182 » 07/07/17 18:02

Just remove the loom from the box dude
Cars suck donkey balls

tonyrs

Post by tonyrs » 11/07/17 14:33

thanks. all removed. Would've have been easier to do this in the first place, but there you go

tonyrs

Help with 2zz conversion

Post by tonyrs » 11/07/17 14:39

HI, I thought i'd start a new topic on this as I think i'm going to have lots of questions that people may be assist with on here re the 2zz swap im doing onto my mk3 MR2. I'll make a donation to the site at the end to show my appreciation.

both engines are out. Have swapped power steering pump pulley for idler pulley and aircon pump removed. Is there a belt size to hand for this new layout?

How do you disconnect the fuel line from the injector rail? Isn't the usual clip with 2 tabs to push in.

Both the sumps on the 1zz and 2zz look the same so confused as to why these have to be swapped?

The valave on-top on the engine mount that needs to be changed, can this be deleted?

thanks Tony :)

tonyrs

Re: Help with 2zz conversion

Post by tonyrs » 11/07/17 14:43

also, how does the throttle cable link up to 2zz throttle body as there is no bracket to support cable on the 2zz?

tonyrs

Re: Help with 2zz conversion

Post by tonyrs » 17/07/17 15:55

Update (for anyone that's interested),

New engine mount fitted, sumps swapped (with oil pick up mod), gearbox mounts swapped, gear selector shaft and components swapped over to 6 speed box.

Having trouble disconnecting the fuel line from the fuel rail. it seems to be a one time install.

Next is to remove LSD from 5 speed and put in the 6 speed box. Once that is done, bolt gearbox back onto engine, re connect engine loom, add 3 wires for lift solenoid/oil pressure and fit back into the car!

Return to “MK3”