Electric fault - window stuck and alarm sounding constantly

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
weedyt

Electric fault - window stuck and alarm sounding constantly

Post by weedyt » 09/09/17 5:55

Hi all
Just brought my first MR2 a couple of months ago and have, until now, had no problems. A few days ago the passenger window simply stopped working - unhelpfully stuck open. Even more unhelpfully, the car has since been blocked in by builders so haven't been able to get it anywhere to have a proper look.
Last night, the alarm started going off and wouldn't respond to the remote, indicators flashing randomly rather than steadily.
Managed to stop it by disconnecting the battery but am now completely stumped! :w_tf:
Any thoughts?

carolineasb
Years of MR2 Ownership: 3
MR2's Owned: 2

Re: Electric fault - window stuck and alarm sounding constantly

Post by carolineasb » 10/09/17 22:50

I take it the window lock switch has not been depressed on the right side of the dash? I thought it only locked shut but it may lock open too.

Are the batteries in your key fobs ok? Perhaps needing replaced if they won't switch off alarm

weedyt

Post by weedyt » 10/09/17 23:36

No, double - checked the switch and it's definitely not the cause. Looks like a trip to my friendly mechanic, as the problem now seems to have spread to the starter. Fun and games... Thanks anyway!

weedyt

Post by weedyt » 13/09/17 8:34

Problem solved - corroded contacts on the switch caused the fault with the window, then as it was stuck open the interior motion sensors drained the battery and made the alarm go screwy. Switch cleaned up but will look to replace it as soon as the garage is built and I can work somewhere dry!

carolineasb
Years of MR2 Ownership: 3
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by carolineasb » 13/09/17 20:10

I forgot to ask had you clicked the fob 3 times when the window was lying open to stop the sensors setting off the alarm :(

Return to “MK3”