MR2OC Way Of The Roses Macmillan Cycle Challenge - May 2017

This section is to talk about setting up MR2OC events.

Moderator: Regional Reps

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 7 years and 8 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

baileydom

Re: MR2OC Way Of The Roses Macmillan Cycle Challenge - May 2

Post by baileydom »

Right, I've been looking at bikes all week but think I might actually spring for more and get a new bike from Evans. I know they're common as muck but thinking about the Specialized Allez Sport 2016. Gets really good reviews and I can get it on finance too.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Topic author
MR2Jay
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 7

Post by MR2Jay »

No complaints here bud....Seems a really good bike :th:

Another couple to consider at that price range are

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/avanti-giro-ar-1-2016/

**Biased Choice** http://www.wiggle.co.uk/felt-z100-2016/

Can't hurt to have options....I know I tried a couple before I settled on my Kona. That's the beauty of buying new. Trying it for size, you'll know if it feels right :th:
1993 Revision 3 Turbo - Restoration Underway

baileydom

Post by baileydom »

Even better I've just found I can get discount through works rewards system.

Topic author
MR2Jay

Post by MR2Jay »

Haha, the old "cycle to work" scheme? Good effort :th:

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

baileydom

Post by baileydom »

Nope not cycle to work. We're administered by Kent county council and they have something called 'Kent rewards'. 15% off at Evans

Topic author
MR2Jay

Post by MR2Jay »

Awesome... I think we have a winner then? :yh:

baileydom

Post by baileydom »

Absolutely. Tomorrow afternoons job sorted.

Topic author
MR2Jay

Post by MR2Jay »

Ok, so here we are....we roughly know the team that is attempting this, most of us have bikes which will do the job. Now comes the gruelling part. Training.

What we are effectively aiming for is achieving approximately 90 miles a day for 2 days straight. Throw into that a day of quite intense hills and I think it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that rocking up on the day and expecting it to just happen is a bit optimistic to coin a phrase.

So how do we prepare for this? Thankfully, we have plenty of time to get to a level where we can cope with this provided we know what we are doing and understand how to push that little bit further without injuring ourselves.

What do people think? What should we be aiming for at this early stage?

Personally, I am looking to increase my distance on a bike over the week as a target (last week was 40 miles for example, this week I'm looking to beat 60). I'm also spending time in the gym working on strength training to increase the muscle capacity I have. Whether this is right or wrong, I have no idea. Personally I'd like a bit of guidance as to what I should be looking to achieve.

On a side note, I am gradually upgrading my road bike for this event. I have now fitted the bike with a pump and a small emergency wheel repair pack (inner tube and tyre levers) mounted in a small bag under the saddle. I've also bought a new saddle for the road bike as I am finding the longer I spend in the stock one, the more uncomforatble it becomes. This is due to the design and shape of the saddle concentrating pressure in places. Combine this with the new handlebar tape and it is gradually coming together. I have a spare set of wheels I might swtich in with new tyres soon for training but I'll be upgrading the wheels before May.

vinp182
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 100

Post by vinp182 »

I'll be sorting a bike out and getting out on it after my holidays :th:

I already go running/training (instructor lead) twice a week and circuit training once a week at least along with the odd trail ride over Cannock chase to keep my fitness up
Cars suck donkey balls

MRturboTom
Years of MR2 Ownership: 6
MR2's Owned: 9

Post by MRturboTom »

https://www.strava.com/clubs/214040

strava club made up, would be good to get you all on there.

Prep is key, I can comfortably manage a 20mph average speed, I'm not expecting us to be doing that, but I think it's good for the group to at least have one strong rider to keep you all motivated.

I think the goal would be for people to try and aim to get themselves to a 15mph average speed,this is where strava helps.

You don't need to be doing 90 mile rides before this event, but doing a few 90+ miles a week will certainly help, longest day in the saddle I have had is 12 hours and felt completely fine and rode the following day .

You need to make sure the bicycle is set up comfortably, clothing is comfortable and versatile, try different drinks, like SIS Go for energy and hydration. try light snacks like flapjacks and jelly babies for energy food on the go.
Getting to grips with what you need on the journey,
I have a saddle bag with inner tubes, pump,levers, patches and multi tool,few energy bars and energy drink powder sachets.
I will probably wear bib shorts and a short sleeve jersey,so weather dependent may need sun cream, I will likely wear a gilet and have pocket sized jacket in my jersey pocket,along with a bag of jelly babies.
I recommend you all getting yourself a tub of chamois cream and maybe some recovery drinks to aid you for the following day.
I will literally take my house door key, cash card and a couple notes,wallet and all other bulk left at home.
I'll keep the stuff for the evening/overnight bag to an absolute minimum.

Lights may be required if it becomes over cast or the day gets on.

I'd advise getting yourself some good drinking bottles,good ones don't have the strong plastic taste.
I'd also train ride with the bottles full for added weight, getting used to that will help
'94 Mk2 Rev 3 GT-S 295 fwhp @1.2 bar
'93 Mk2 Rev 2 GT-S 296 fwbhp @ 0.9bar

Topic author
MR2Jay

Post by MR2Jay »

Joined the Strava club :th:

90 miles a week? That sounds like a lot but I'm gradually getting there. It's the average speed I think I need to work on first. I'm currently averaging at about 13mph so I'm not a million miles away. I'm right on target for my 60 mile goal for this week though. Thankfully we have a while before the event to bring up my stats :th:

Just ordered a new rear cassette and chain for the Felt so I can put the Maddux R3.0 wheels I bought a few weeks ago at a car boot on. The replacement cassette is an 8 speed 11/32 Shimano unit which gives a great range of gears on this bike. With the new chain, new tyres (Michelin Lithion 2) and inner tubes as well as the new cassette, it rapidly becoming a new bike for a fraction of the cost :th:

Saddle has arrived today so it looks like the entire bike is going to get an overhaul this weekend. Think I'll be skipping the main run and concentrate on rebuilding and tuning the bike. I'll have a short blast once it's all together just to make sure it's all good :th:

Topic author
MR2Jay

Post by MR2Jay »

Busy weekend ahead of me on the bike :th:

Managed to get to 53 miles so far this week with an extended ride home tonight taking it up to 65 miles - ahead of my target distance :yh:

Upgrade time tomorrow though, got this little lot to install along with new wheels I managed to pick up at a bargain basement price at a car boot a few weeks ago ;)

Plan is to fit all of that and make adjustments tomorrow to get it where I want it and then tackle a 30 mile ride out on Sunday.

My biggest problem seems to be my average speed, it's nowhere near high enough cruising at around 13mph. I need to raise this by 2mph while working on my endurance. If I can get my average distance per week up to the 90 miles, I can then start seeing about tackling longer distance rides at the weekend to train my body to cope with the prolonged effort :th:

Fundraising is going REALLY well already and thanks go out to whoever has already supported us, both from the OC and elsewhere. We have now reached 6% of our target already with new supporters coming in all the time :th:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/MR2OC

MRturboTom
Years of MR2 Ownership: 6
MR2's Owned: 9

Post by MRturboTom »

http://guides.wiggle.co.uk/beginners-sp ... campaign=-
Some useful training information with this link, although we aren't doing a sportive it's a very similar event.

Speed comes with time, but the only way to get faster is to go faster. Also no traffic /junctions really aid average speed
'94 Mk2 Rev 3 GT-S 295 fwhp @1.2 bar
'93 Mk2 Rev 2 GT-S 296 fwbhp @ 0.9bar

Topic author
MR2Jay

Post by MR2Jay »

Some great advice there Tom :th:

OK, clothing? What do people think is a bare minimum that we'll need for this?

I've already done something I swore I'd never do and bought some bib shorts (which look ridiculous I have to say) but what about waterproof layers? Long sleeve/short sleeve? Footwear?

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 7 years and 8 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “National Events”