Twosrus.com not selling to UK

Use this forum to chat about general MR2 topics. See also the Mk1 Mk2 and Mk3 sections above for more specific technical information
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 2 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
CleMR2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 15
MR2's Owned: 1

Twosrus.com not selling to UK

Post by CleMR2 »

Don't know whether anyone's noticed but Twosrus.com are not selling to the UK at the moment due to new UK tax rules. I wanted to order some crash bolts and swapped some emails with David Hawkins there and got this response:-
With Brexit, the UK has put the burden for collecting VAT on sellers – requiring us to register for a VAT number, collect VAT and submit it to the UK government quarterly. It is unprecedented for a government to put this burden on sellers outside their jurisdiction. Until I have time to navigate this change and figure everything out, we will not be shipping any orders to the UK.

Don't whether anyhone else has experienced this kind of thing with anyone else but I don't remember Boris mentioning in the news. :confused1:

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23

Re: Twosrus.com not selling to UK

Post by MR2DI4 »

Interesting, our government shifted collecting the GST which is basically the same as your VAT to overseas sellers a few months back now. Comes up on E-Bay automatically as you checkout it just cost you more in the way of the 15%.

The overseas business must be doing over like NZD$70,000 a year with New Zealand for it to have to comply so it would only hit all the majors like E-Bay and Amazon etc.

If you have applied it across the board, then you may see some very small sellers stop shipping to the UK because they cannot be bothered with the compliance costs.

Australia are currently trying to stick it to Google with a tax, its not going well and I don't think they are large enough to start pushing their weight around. 94% of Australians use Google as their preferred search engine and Google can easily pull the plug on them.

On a side note, have you checked the freight rates these days ? Increases have totally killed getting some things sent to you from the USA in particular. I'm still getting small things from China out of E-Bay as cheap as chips but this is not the case from some other countries.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18

Post by jimi »

I regularly send small parcel to various countries, the Royal Mail have just increased their prices, parcels that used to cost me £14.25 to ship to the USA, tacked and signed for now cost me £20.10 :shocked:
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
CleMR2

Post by CleMR2 »

That's interesting, I tried to order from them a few weeks back and they tried to charge me 82 dollars for postage so I changed my mind, figured it was a mistake. I tried again and now they won't sell to the UK. It was only for 2 bolts and a pedal rubber.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18

Post by jimi »

£60 for postage ? their having a giraffe ! are the parts not available in the UK ?
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
CleMR2

Post by CleMR2 »

Yes but I'm not supposed to leave the house unless it's "essential", so I'd prefer to mail order for this one.

It can wait tbh, only ordering because I'm bored.

jeff
Administrator
Administrator
Current Model: MK2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 20

Post by jeff »

give tcb a ring
Not Plan B again!! Why don't we just go with plan B in the first place?
It’s more important to lose a minute in life than your life in a minute

Topic author
CleMR2

Post by CleMR2 »

I had a look at my car yesterday out of boredom more than anything else and found a jammed handbrake cable so now my car's off the road temporarily. This gave me a more legitimate excuse to go to Toyota though so I've ordered what I need now.

They'll ready by Saturday which gives me time to save up! :laughing

Synz
Current Model: MK2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 5
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by Synz »

I’ve noticed the shipping going for sure, was going to buy a strut braces set but shipping was more than the item 🤯.

I also tried to order an XS Power intercooler twice and they refunded me both times without replying to my emails so maybe they aren’t selling to the UK either.
- MR2 Rev5 2.0 GTi TBar 2008 - 2011
- MR2 Rev5 Turbo GTS TBar 2020 - Present
- MR2 Rev3 Turbo GTS Donor car (RIP)
www.instagram.com/fuel_toyota
My Project thread

TonyleFrog
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by TonyleFrog »

The change to VAT collection is a direct result of Brexit. Plus freight rates generally have gone through the roof due to the pandemic. Anything coming into the UK by ship from Asia is going to be badly hit. In December the cost of a 40ft container from China to northern Europe rocketed from £1,100 to £9,000. VAT collection costs + shipping cost increases = double whammy - https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... d-pandemic

It's early doors atm but there is a lot of pain to come. The UK is a long way from being self-sufficient.
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

Topic author
CleMR2

Post by CleMR2 »

Good to see someone keeping track of current affairs Tony. :th:

Not sure what collecting VAT from sellers in the US has got to do with Brexit though; do you care to expand on that?

TonyleFrog
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by TonyleFrog »

These explain the e-mail you received from David Hawkins.
https://www.dlapiper.com/en/us/insights ... customers/
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... nuary-2021
The new regime started on 1st January 2021 which is the day after the end of the Brexit transition period.
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

Topic author
CleMR2

Post by CleMR2 »

Thanks Tony. I can see why they're doing it and it should mean that we don't get an admin charge from customs for importing stuff anymore but smaller sellers that don't do that much business with the UK may just give us a miss altogether.

I hope TwosRUs get it sorted as they've been useful over the years and as parts gradually dry up over here we might need them.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 2 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MR2 Discussion”