Anyone know this Rev3 Turbo?

Use this forum to chat about general MR2 topics. See also the Mk1 Mk2 and Mk3 sections above for more specific technical information
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 2 years and 10 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
iiNNeX
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0
MR2's Owned: 0

Anyone know this Rev3 Turbo?

Post by iiNNeX »

Hey all,

Considering potentially going to view and purchase this car. Does anyone here know it?

https://www.pistonheads.com/buy/listing/11527722

Any comments on price as I have absolutely no idea what MR2s cost now. Last time I had a JDM car was a DC2 which I got in mint condition for 4k, but that was a LONG time ago lol.

Any help would be highly appreciated :)

Ty

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: Anyone know this Rev3 Turbo?

Post by jimi »

It looks superb, expensive IMO but then again there can't be many in that condition in the UK, at the end of the day only the buyer can decide if it's worth it.
I see the seller has a MK1 (possibly an SC) as well ;)
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
iiNNeX

Post by iiNNeX »

jimi wrote: 07/05/21 13:36 It looks superb, expensive IMO but then again there can't be many in that condition in the UK, at the end of the day only the buyer can decide if it's worth it.
I see the seller has a MK1 (possibly an SC) as well ;)
Yeah it is not cheap but I think given its condition, rarity of the OEM parts fitted and overall lack of cars for sale, it's probably worth it and will only go up with time.

I spoke to the owner earlier today, his father's car (the supercharged mk1 in the back) has been under a full nut and bolt restoration and featured in a 2020 MR2 magazine, his name was Graeme I believe?

They sound like a solid bunch of people and really into their classic Japanese cars. I'm viewing it next week and if all is well it shall be mine :)

Edit: I forgot to mention, I gave Torque GT a call to see how much it would cost to import a Rev 3+ turbo car (regardless of mileage, as long as its in good condition of at least Grade 4) and they said it won't be lower than £20k... so by that account, this car starts to seem like a bargain haha...

Seriously wtf is up with all JDM "legends" these days, Skyline GTRs fetching 6 figures, RX7s and Supras over 50k?! Even a DC2 is 15-20k lol...

Topic author
iiNNeX

Post by iiNNeX »

Here is 2 shots I found of that mk1, it looks veeeery clean!

Voivod

Post by Voivod »

Looks mint and very original..real eye catcher!However the price is far too high..Serviced 5 years ago t.belt wise means that you have to do it again shortly...(not cheap!)and I guarantee that there would be a plenty suspension parts and brakes that needs to be replaced..you have to remember is an old car.

p.s For that price you can buy (hate to say :zip ) a better car in every aspect..of course unless you're collector or mad fan or extreme enthusiast :laughing

Topic author
iiNNeX

Post by iiNNeX »

Voivod wrote: 07/05/21 23:50 Looks mint and very original..real eye catcher!However the price is far too high..Serviced 5 years ago t.belt wise means that you have to do it again shortly...(not cheap!)and I guarantee that there would be a plenty suspension parts and brakes that needs to be replaced..you have to remember is an old car.

p.s For that price you can buy (hate to say :zip ) a better car in every aspect..of course unless you're collector or mad fan or extreme enthusiast :laughing
It says it has been serviced 3 times in the last 5 years? I ll go through the paperwork properly when I see it next week but yes I am aware of the price and my initial thought was that it was quite high. That said, after speaking to a few parties, I cannot physically import one cheaper, let alone one in this condition. Doubt there is many like this left in the UK? (happy to be prove wrong, after all I am after one so the more choice the better haha).

I will go into it with my eyes wide open and do have an MR2 lover coming along to inspect as much of it as we can. Yeah you can get better cars, but I recently sold my M2 Comp as I found it quite boring and miss 90s sports cars, so for that reason "better" is subjective I guess.

Thanks for the input bud.

Voivod

Post by Voivod »

iiNNeX wrote: 07/05/21 19:07 Here is 2 shots I found of that mk1, it looks veeeery clean!

Is that the same MR2 in back ground which advertised on pistonheads? :laughing I'll bet is a one owner who's got both cars. Something strange here..:)

Voivod

Post by Voivod »

iiNNeX wrote: 08/05/21 8:26 It says it has been serviced 3 times in the last 5 years? I ll go through the paperwork properly when I see it next week but yes I am aware of the price and my initial thought was that it was quite high. That said, after speaking to a few parties, I cannot physically import one cheaper, let alone one in this condition. Doubt there is many like this left in the UK? (happy to be prove wrong, after all I am after one so the more choice the better haha).

I will go into it with my eyes wide open and do have an MR2 lover coming along to inspect as much of it as we can. Yeah you can get better cars, but I recently sold my M2 Comp as I found it quite boring and miss 90s sports cars, so for that reason "better" is subjective I guess.

Thanks for the input bud.

By looking at the photos of service book is got 5 services in year interval I would bet is for oil change,then other pic of service book..2 stamps on coolant change and looks like cambelt was done in 2017.

Well..lets talk about the condition :laughing When you look at the picture of the engine bay is really strikes how clean it looks. However if you pay close attention you can see in one of the pictures that fuel rail and injectors is covered in dirt pretty badly. I guess someone just refreshed and painted many parts in engine bay so is looks really good. Is a high millage for asking price too..I'll bet if I go and look at the car I'll find many surprises :laughing

Just make sure you take someone with you who knows those cars,otherwise you can buy very expensive lemon :D

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

The SC is his dad's car ;)
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Voivod

Post by Voivod »

jimi wrote: 08/05/21 17:28 The SC is his dad's car ;)

Ok thanks :th: :laughing

Topic author
iiNNeX

Post by iiNNeX »

Voivod wrote: 08/05/21 17:11
By looking at the photos of service book is got 5 services in year interval I would bet is for oil change,then other pic of service book..2 stamps on coolant change and looks like cambelt was done in 2017.

Well..lets talk about the condition :laughing When you look at the picture of the engine bay is really strikes how clean it looks. However if you pay close attention you can see in one of the pictures that fuel rail and injectors is covered in dirt pretty badly. I guess someone just refreshed and painted many parts in engine bay so is looks really good. Is a high millage for asking price too..I'll bet if I go and look at the car I'll find many surprises :laughing

Just make sure you take someone with you who knows those cars,otherwise you can buy very expensive lemon :D
Hey again,

The mk1 MR2 is his dad's car which I believe was featured in an MR2 magazine dated 2020, as a complete nut and bolt restoration. It really does look brand new from a few other pics I've seen.

Then of course there is the skyline wheels that have been re-done and wrapped in AD08s, new pads and discs all around + the only new caliper is one of the rears, as he mentioned it was sticking due to the low mileage it did each year.

I think the seller is definitely honest, looks like he knows a thing or two about MR2s in general and other classic cars he owns, so I don't know what else to say. It is a strong price, but looks to be a decent car. If it's a grand or two "overpriced" then I don't mind, but who really knows what these are worth when there isn't another one to compare it with?

If I ask him to reduce the price further (We agreed on 13k flat, pending inspection ofc), he already said he won't go lower as there is another 2 parties interested, 1 is simply waiting on his car to sell and is happy to pay full price even... Could be just snake oil or it could be true and these are finally fetching better money? I don't know man, I keep going around in circles today and can't make my mind up if this is a good/bad purchase.

Maybe I should become a sheep and lease an M140i/GolfR/S3 with auto gearbox that makes farting noises and forget the past :laughing :laughing

Edit: Forgot to mention, car is getting an oil and fuel filter change this coming Wednesday so should be up to speed on servicing.

Edit 2: Removed pics to avoid leaking personal details.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 2 years and 10 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MR2 Discussion”