New Leather Seat covers for MR2 SW20

Use this forum to chat about general MR2 topics. See also the Mk1 Mk2 and Mk3 sections above for more specific technical information
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 2 years and 5 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
scann2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 22
MR2's Owned: 1

New Leather Seat covers for MR2 SW20

Post by scann2 »

Hi All, first post in years and not a plug, just a post for info. Took the plunge and ordered new Seat covers for my almost Old Timer '93 G-Limited NA. Shes in mint condition, cant part with it so thought i'd spruce her up with some new covers. The old / original Fabric ones in fact weren't too bad, just a bit dusty i suppose, i would consider selling the covers but min 600€ i'm afraid. Pending what the new ones look like.
Anyway, seats are at the Upholstery Shop near Cologne (Germany) right now, should come back in the next week or so so thought i'd let you know. Judging by their fruitful experience already with the MR2 (See website), i'm expecting them to be very good. I've gone with a standard look, Black Leather Bolsters with Black Alcantara (Actually Carabu 33, similar) centre inserts with grey / silver stitching to match the existing door cards. Before and after pics will follow.
I looked long and hard online, considered Leatherseats.com but import costs to Germany would be too high. Furthermore, found this company also in Germany (Dresden), who will take your old standard OEM steering wheel, and recover it adding a flat spot on the bottom & Thumb positions using a moulded resin whereby NOT deforming the metal, it'll be re-trimmed with the same material as the seats so should look great.
Cheers.
Seat company near Cologne: https://shop.ma-carstyle.de/Toyota-MR2-W2-Leather-Seats
Steering wheel company Dresden: https://meinlenkrad.de/das-design/lenkr ... enter-guss

ayresyboy
Regional Rep
Regional Rep
Current Model: MK2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 20

Re: New Leather Seat covers for MR2 SW20

Post by ayresyboy »

Looking forward to the photos! Andy
1997 2GR-FE | 1998 3S-GTE

Topic author
scann2

Post by scann2 »

Good evening everyone. Update. The seats are finished. Take a look, they look very good in my opinion. Not cheap at approx 900 euros but will refresh the interior. Now I'll get the steering wheel done, info to follow. Cheers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jeff
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 20

Post by jeff »

looking good
did you take the pictures ?
Not Plan B again!! Why don't we just go with plan B in the first place?
It’s more important to lose a minute in life than your life in a minute

Topic author
scann2

Post by scann2 »

No, they were sent to me prior to shipment as appearance approval sign off, which I gave.

Topic author
scann2

Post by scann2 »

I'll take a couple more when they are in the car next week upon arrival back from Köln.

Hotrod

Post by Hotrod »

They are really nice, I would prefer to keep the original seats and cost wise that is around what a good replacement would be but for just one.
Anyone know of places in the U.K. who do this?

jeff
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 20

Post by jeff »

i guy on facebook does covers and i asked him for a price it was £500 plus paypal fees plus shipping iirc
Not Plan B again!! Why don't we just go with plan B in the first place?
It’s more important to lose a minute in life than your life in a minute

Topic author
scann2

Post by scann2 »

Good morning Team. Pictures as promised, took a while but worth it I think. Looks OEM standard, matches the current trim, very pleased. Some wrinkles which i'll try to kneed out, particularly around the head restraints / or it'll go over time but generally pretty good. Enjoy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
scann2

Post by scann2 »

For info, here she is in her full glory. Next i'll get the steering wheel redone to match the thread colour on the seats. Pictures and details also to follow.

Topic author
scann2

Post by scann2 »

Another pic, was fun fitting them yesterday and gave me a chance to clean and hoover the car properly. Nice to have such a rare car nowadays, in Germany you never ever see these (Only boring Porsches everywhere). Even in the UK some 5 weeks ago, i never saw one so i guess they're getting rarer and rarer so its nice to keep it relatively standard.

benckj
Years of MR2 Ownership: 5

Post by benckj »

Very nice indeed, well done with your preservation work. Car looks great.!

rich1068

Post by rich1068 »

They look extremely good.

I notice you have an aftermarket gear knob fitted but I need to investigate getting my standard one replaced/recovered as it's very worn. Little nick in the gaiter too.

Topic author
scann2

Post by scann2 »

Yes, the Gear Knob is one I used to manufacture and sell for the MR2 SW20 actually back in 2005 ish, called GKS. It has a button on the top to start the engine, flashes green continuously. Still need the key. Perhaps I should ask around and see if there's more interest to manufacture another batch, not sure I can be bothered though to be honest.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 2 years and 5 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MR2 Discussion”