WRA Attempt - We've lost it - Lets try and get it back

Temporary forum for the event on the 31st May 2009
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 11 years and 6 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

vinp182
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 100

Re: WRA Attempt - We've lost it - Lets try and get it back

Post by vinp182 »

Sounds good to me :)

Cars suck donkey balls

d-peg
Years of MR2 Ownership: 13
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by d-peg »

Yup yup yup!
92 JDM Turbo - V8 Project Car - LINK
93 UK N/A - V6 SC Project Car - LINK
00 mk3 2zz - Driven Daily :D - LINK
It's not a party till I get my bum out

Howlin_Mad
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by Howlin_Mad »

Could be good for some inter-club comerardery too - If we had Supras and GT4's driving in colour order for the WRA title too, I'd be much more interested in talking to the drivers around me in the holding area as I would at a club event like JAE.

My only gripe is that Silverstone doesn't have a noise appreciation tunnel like Rockingham :crybaby:

HM
MGB GT For Sale// JDM Rev3 3VZ-FE V6

topgun
Years of MR2 Ownership: 8
MR2's Owned: 10

Post by topgun »

What I can't understand is how they can beat our record,when I set up the first one I stated it was to challenge the Netherlands record of most mr2s in a rolling convoy,but they changed it to largest parade of Toyota cars,so let's try that again and beat the Netherlands record.

Chris69
MR2's Owned: 5

Post by Chris69 »

500 cars? Theres more that that in the factory! Why dont you put this much effort into something worthwhile!?!

sent from my foot to your "censored"!
There is no "it cant be done" only "I cant do it!"

(OO==\°/==OO)

Howlin_Mad

Post by Howlin_Mad »

Chris69 wrote:500 cars? Theres more that that in the factory! Why dont you put this much effort into something worthwhile!?!

Don't understand? :confused1:

HM

topgun
Years of MR2 Ownership: 8
MR2's Owned: 10

Post by topgun »

Howlin_Mad wrote:
Chris69 wrote:500 cars? Theres more that that in the factory! Why dont you put this much effort into something worthwhile!?!

HM
Same here :confused1:

TonyleFrog
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by TonyleFrog »

Mick, I think the reason is that GWR only recognise manufacturers/marques. The fact that the gathering at Silverstone was one particular model was incidental. Likewise the Netherlands one. The UAE attempt conformed to GWR's rules, so it takes the record.

GWR records can be somwhat flaky tbh. For example according to their website the one for Subaru cars is 339. http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/wor ... ubaru-cars
The previous year more than 3 times that number turned up at Prodrive for the tribute to the late Colin McRae. I can only assume it didn't conform to GWR's 'rules' for ratification, there was an issue about who the organisers were, or it was never officially entered as an attempt at the record.

With sufficient support from other clubs as mentioned I'm certain the UAE Toyota record could be blown out of the water. The only thing which might scupper it would be if there was an inter-club argument over who was going to take the credit for organising it. That of the UAE one was overseen by a (local?) government department so there was a single entity in the driving seat.

While we're at it, we could also try for the world record for the biggest sandcastle. :D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vovaikgp ... re=related
Last edited by TonyleFrog on 18/09/12 22:38, edited 1 time in total.
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

peteV6R5
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by peteV6R5 »

TonyleFrog wrote: With sufficient support from other clubs as mentioned I'm certain the UAE Toyota record could be blown out of the water. The only thing which might scupper it would be if there was an inter-club argument over who was going to take the credit for organising it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vovaikgp ... re=related
100% agree with TLF - the biggest issue is ego' s of the clubs - maybe someone should contact Toyota UK and get them to organise the event - therefore all clubs would be equal in the eyes of the WRA.

Just a thought - and they would pay the £2000 to have GWR there to verify the event on the day
Highland Drive 13/14/15/17/18/19
JAE 07/09/10/11/12/13/14/15/16/17
Japfest 09/11/12/13/16/19
Wales runs 14/15/16/17/18

Chris69
MR2's Owned: 5

Post by Chris69 »

topgun wrote:
Howlin_Mad wrote:

HM
Same here :confused1:
I'm understand this "record" your attempting is to gather about 500 toyota's in one place. You'll have to excuse my ignorance but why? Go to most automotive factories and what do you have, 500 cars all the same in one place. Then again why not just take a look at the massive carparks that appeared after the scrapage schemes. Im sure you'll find alot more than 500 of one manufacturer in any of them if you care to count. It just isnt written in a book because nobody cares, just seems like one of those pointless things like "the longest you can stay in a bath full of beans." Why not put some logistics and planning into something useful or at least get everyone to chuck in a tenner for charity, make it worthwhile.

There is no "it cant be done" only "I cant do it!"

(OO==\°/==OO)

Howlin_Mad

Post by Howlin_Mad »

TonyleFrog wrote:Mick, I think the reason is that GWR only recognise manufacturers/marques. The fact that the gathering at Silverstone was one particular model was incidental. Likewise the Netherlands one. The UAE attempt conformed to GWR's rules, so it takes the record.

GWR records can be somwhat flaky tbh. For example according to their website the one for Subaru cars is 339. http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/wor ... ubaru-cars
The previous year more than 3 times that number turned up at Prodrive for the tribute to the late Colin McRae. I can only assume it didn't conform to GWR's 'rules' for ratification, there was an issue about who the organisers were, or it was never officially entered as an attempt at the record.

With sufficient support from other clubs as mentioned I'm certain the UAE Toyota record could be blown out of the water. The only thing which might scupper it would be if there was an inter-club argument over who was going to take the credit for organising it. That of the UAE one was overseen by a (local?) government department so there a single entity in the driving seat.

While we're at it, we could also try for the world record for the biggest sandcastle. :D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vovaikgp ... re=related
Yeah we know about the rules now Tony - they wouldn't recognise a "single marque" only a "single make". That's why we need to get more Toyota clubs involved, but I personally feel we should just include 80's/90's models (that includes the MK3 BTW!!!) and not stuff like the Yaris. That's just my opinion though.

We struggled with 224 cars with space at Silverstone (both in the first car park, the holding area, getting the people in the briefing media centre, getting all the disclaimers and licence checks done in time, and even the number of cars on track albeit it was a shortened Silverstone circuit. 300 cars and we would be able to do it JUST like last time, but anything over that, we will have to re-think our organisation. It's not an easy event to organise Tony!

Chris - you've obviously not been to an MR2 WRA attempt. They are great! (see the MR2 Only Mags) Everyone who I've spoken to has had nothing but praise for them. To see 304 or 224 cars driving around Rockingham & Silverstone is something pretty special on a glorious summers day. I'll take those memories and my GWR memories to the grave :th:

And it has to be a cavalcade, i.e. a rolling convoy for x miles, not just parked in a car park!

HM

Michi
Years of MR2 Ownership: 7
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by Michi »

count me in on this , the last one was wkd :th:
the MR2 is more than a car, it's a lifestyle.

Howlin_Mad

Post by Howlin_Mad »

Michi wrote:count me in on this , the last one was wkd :th:
It was incredible Michi!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IASLpAEl4oM

Organising a club stand for 35 cars is tough for a weekend, organising a meet for 90 cars is one hell of a job, but doing it for 200/300+ is f***ing difficuilt! But we've done it in the past (I organised 80+ myself for the middle of the country meet), and the whole team know what we are doing now and how to do it as we've been there, got the T-Shirt, cap and GWR record :D

:th:

I'm 99.9% sure if we get the members willing to turn up, we'll cane the UAE record by a long shot ;)

HM

ian_106
Years of MR2 Ownership: 2
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by ian_106 »

shinny wrote:It's Toyota cars, not just MR2s... we'll need Celicas, Supras, Corrollas, Estimas, Yaris's etc. realistically :th:

If its Toyota cars thats handy as i bought one today :clapping:

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 11 years and 6 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “World record attempt.”