Sill replacement. 1990 Mk2 Rev 1 T bar.

Topic author
BrianDeacon

Sill replacement. 1990 Mk2 Rev 1 T bar.

Post by BrianDeacon »

Hello All.
Have been reading TrevMk2's great work on sill replacement. Now started to follow his lead and tackle mine. Starting at the drivers side have cut along about an inch below the door. This done with an angle grinder and cutting disk as its quicker than using the nibbler.
Then drill out all the spot welds along the lower flange. These can be seen more easily of you shine an inspection light along the sill. I drilled through each one with a 1/8 drill then drilled the weld with a larger drill just through the sill and not all the way through the flange.
The T Bar has additional stiffening with a vertical flange behind the sill. This is spot welded to the sill just on the curved surface above the lower flange. Shining the light you can just see the weld spots. These were drilled out in the same way.
The inside structure at the rear is well corroded. So far have cut out all the bad stuff and reprotected until I can start to fabricate parts.
There is a good article on how to remove the side vent panel which must be done to complete teh sill replacement. Its on the "know your MR2" pages.
A waiting Astra Mk1 sills now to get the next bits done. Could not have started this without Trevs good info on this site. Brian
MR2 sill 019a.jpg
MR2 sill 009a.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
xvillax

Re: Sill replacement. 1990 Mk2 Rev 1 T bar.

Post by xvillax »

from what he has done so far its not going to be an easy task...

i have yet to do mine think its time for me to get off my lazy ass and do it

any ways good luck hope it all works out ok :th:

Topic author
BrianDeacon

Post by BrianDeacon »

Still waiting for the new sills to arrive. Have cleaned the exposed structure and coated in rust removed gel to keep the weather out! Some more pics added to show the "hidden" rust damage.
Having to do this in the drive so hope the snow doesnt come back!
MR2 sill 010a.jpg
MR2 sill 002a.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
xvillax

Post by xvillax »

they all rot from the inside out :ranting1:

love the axle stands.... i know how ya feel have to do mine on the drive too not got the lux of a workshop :blush:

Topic author
BrianDeacon

Post by BrianDeacon »

Axle stands now under teh car, were not doing a lot sitting in te garage!!

Topic author
BrianDeacon

Post by BrianDeacon »

Managed to spend some time in the garage today and progressed the fabrication of various bits.
Two inner sill offside pieces.jpg

Topic author
BrianDeacon

Post by BrianDeacon »

The front of the Astra Mk1 sill fits really well. It has been joggled to fit inside the original sill piece that was left in place.
The inner T bar web will have angled pieces welded to it and the lower flange. These do not need to be shaped to allow water run off as the web itself is shaped and will leave gaps between the new and old metal.
The rear of the sill is more of a problem. The original structure is still good and I did not want to cut this off. But the new sill profile will not fit. Still undecided whether to reprofile the sill at the back end, or cut of the support structure and make a new piece.
Astra Mk1 sill in place front.jpg
Inner stiffening web, T bar extra.jpg
Offside inner sill pieces in place.jpg

Topic author
BrianDeacon

Post by BrianDeacon »

two more pictures, the new sill in place at the rear and the original structure which I think will have to be cut away..
Sill in place rear.jpg
Rear original sill piece.jpg

Topic author
BrianDeacon

Post by BrianDeacon »

Bad weather has prevented much progress in the last month. Now going to be on a contract for three weeks so not expecting to start welding parts in until April. Will post some pics of progress then.

Topic author
BrianDeacon

Post by BrianDeacon »

Still in KL with temp at 34 deg so welding MR2 sills way at back of mind. Will have to get a move on though as going to unsorn the car at the end of this month.

Topic author
BrianDeacon

Post by BrianDeacon »

Well work has beaten me. :sad: I just cannot find the time to finish this project, and must have the MR2 back on the road by September as we will be using her to go to the Circuit De Ramparts in Angouleme, France. She is has now been transported to VRS in Iver to have the project finished. They will take some photos as this progresses which I will upload onto here. Brian

Topic author
BrianDeacon

Post by BrianDeacon »

Well sill replacements complete on both sides thanks to VRS of Iver. Really good job and the Astra sills fit very well. Car MOTed, unSORNED and back on the road for the summer.

Topic author
BrianDeacon

Post by BrianDeacon »

Picture of sill in place

Topic author
adam3442

Post by adam3442 »

Good work Brian its a shame you didn't get to finish it yourself as you were doing some well thought out and executed work.

At least you can have fun with it now she's all good.

Adam

Return to “MK2 Useful Information”