Illustrated guide for fitting clear Toblerones....

Topic author
wolfie308

Post by wolfie308 »

Well at last, I've put together this sequence of photos and text which I hope will help simplify the whole process. I have tried a number of techniques on these and the similar Supra MK3 sides, and I think the following method gives the best finished result.

1) First step is to cut off the bulk of the bubble part of the lens. Hold the unit secure in a WorkMate or vice, and using a fine toothed saw, you should be able to easily remove the bulk of the lens. I only had a junior hacksaw, so had to cut it off in 2 parts.

2) Next stage is to remove the remaining amber. First time I did it, I used a neighbours bench mounted grinder which works a treat. Take extra care when removing the last traces where the lens buts up to the coloured end of the unit. If you've got or can borrow a Dremel or similar tool, I think you'll find it a bit easier, as the small grinding wheel is more manouverable.

3) Here we can see part of the lens completely removed, but for now, retaining the outer lip on the backing case. If you haven't got a Dremel, then this and be done equally well with the unit held in vice, and using a flat file. Note that when you are down far enough, you will then be able to pick off the last thin strip of amber round the edge.

4) When you have finished, the casing should look like this.......

5) There will be small traces of the amber round the edge and the lip will not be a smooth surface. So, placing the backing part face down on a flat surface, you just rub away until the lip round the edge is almost removed.

6) Next I washed the unit in hot soapy water, using a tooth brush to get rid of any crud to get rid. This also slightlty softened the glue holding the rubber gasket to the backing. This enabled me to mask the rubber prior to chrome spraying.

Before....

After....

7) After the chrome spray has dried, remove the masking tape and paper. I put the unit in a cool oven for about 20 mins to speed things up. The final stage is attaching the lens to the fully prepared backing.

For this I use clear RTV silicone. I got a tube of Locktite 595 from Halfuds for about £3 IIRC. This is where the most care is needed. I use a small flat bladed srewdriver to apply a thin bead around the outside, making sure that you dont get it inside the remnant of the lip. Then, carefully press the clear lens into position, and wipe away any excess from from round the edge. Secure with tape at both ends and in the middle until set. I left them over night to be sure.

8) When you're sure they've cured, remove the tape and any excess dried silicone can just be rubbed away with your finger. The completed job is now ready to grace your car :cool:

Hopefully this can be Stickied in the appropriate place, to make it most easily accessable :D

Topic author
adam3442

Post by adam3442 »

good write up Richard, the lenses look familiar ;)

Topic author
wolfie308

Re: Illustrated guide for fitting clear Toblerones....

Post by wolfie308 »

Cheers for that Adam,

Hope you like them when fitted. They're pretty much the same as the ones you've currently got on, but I did a slightly neater job preparing the backings as shown in the pics. I've also fitted new mounting screws for you :wink:

I'll give you a call tomorrow to arrange getting them swapped over :th:

Many thanks again for your help, without which, this may not have made production :D

Topic author
mr2nr15

Post by mr2nr15 »

OK but where do you find the clear lenses? I'm from the states and only have the flat ones I would like to find some like this. Even amber would be fine. Would even trade mine if interested!

Topic author
LUCIFER2009

Post by LUCIFER2009 »

Looks a good mod but where do you get the clear lense from?

Topic author
3913mark

Post by 3913mark »

I did it without removing the fitting from the car. I put masking tape around the base to protect the paint then broke the orange lense away with pliers and a chisel. I painted the backing silver and glued the new lense on with superglue.

Topic author
Toms-MR2

Post by Toms-MR2 »

3913mark wrote:I put masking tape around the base to protect the paint then broke the orange lense away with pliers and a chisel.
You're braver than i am mate, i'd probably end up chiselling the wing off :laughing

Topic author
IanC

Post by IanC »

Are clear lenses still available and if so where do you get them from??

Topic author
3913mark

Post by 3913mark »

I think it may have been Wolfie from this thread. I just did a search until I found a thread saying who sold them, but that was 3 years ago so I don't remember.

Return to “MK2 Useful Information”