d-peg’s JAE-11 diary… & pics

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 12 years and 6 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
d-peg
Years of MR2 Ownership: 13
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by d-peg »

d-peg’s JAE diary… & pics

My first year on the JAE Planning team and didn’t really know what to expect. I had previously organised the club stand at the BHP Show but nothing of this magnitude….We’ve planned as much as we can and can hope. So Wednesday night I trot off to Tesco (other supermarket brands are available) and did my shop.

So packed up both Sonic and Michael’s beautiful one-of-a-kind MR2 V6 Auto and got in a good night’s kip.

The drive up was uneventful although the weather doesn’t look great. I meet up with the guys on the M1 and we grin and bear the horrific roadworks and 50 limit! Tony, Alan and myself meet up with Paul (after a slight detour, eh Alan) and dig in to the customary Pre-JAE Olympic Breakfast … Fuelled and ready to go we made our way over to Wicksteed Park, JAE were being tough and we weren’t allowed on site until 5pm.

We eventually get to site, pitch our gear for a couple of hours then sit back… We’ve made it; MR2OC is ready for JAE 2011. We spend the next couple of hours watching the weather gradually getting better, un-winding, a few beers and having a laugh. Paul .. you have said something that will stick in my mind for a very long time! We get the first cars positioned on the stand…

Off to bed, a good night’s sleep…. No! The complete T 1 T in a Subaru revving his engine at 6:23 in the morning. Not cool, very not cool. But hey, get up get moving and get ready. Showered, shaved and ready. The guys arrive from their B&B (lightweights) and we await the first folk to arrive. Generator FAIL! I give them a call and expected to arrive with the hour so no drama. Aside the early arrival of MR2Jay unbelievably folk didn’t start turning up till gone 11!! We knew you’d come… Field of Dreams, “Build it and they will come…”

A few old faces, and plenty of new ones arrive. We get them all parked per the layout Alan and I had come up with worthy of best stand? …. We thought most definitely! Much beyond the rushing round, the meet and greet and several turbo-shandies and, as Mr Nowak accurately dubbed, “Blue s hit” I struggle to remember much else aside being pretty poor in the Karting! J A great opening day

92 JDM Turbo - V8 Project Car - LINK
93 UK N/A - V6 SC Project Car - LINK
00 mk3 2zz - Driven Daily :D - LINK
It's not a party till I get my bum out

Topic author
d-peg

Re: d-peg’s JAE-11 diary… & pics

Post by d-peg »

So Saturday morning is my 3rd fry up in as many days and boy does it taste good. mopping up the excesses of the night before :th: Get cleaned up and wander out to see who else is about... my deary me, there's some weary looking souls about! :laughing . Still not had chance to wander round, i'll be damned if my 2nd JAE means i dont get to look round!

Nevertheless, we've something more important to focus our attention on ...... the IKO and Football. We made the semi's last year in the footie and must do better this year. EVERYBODY played their best.....! I do mean that, I even run my guts out so hard i threw up.... had nothing to do with the night before, just completely out of juice. ..... But it was not enough, we made the final and lost to a team of American-ringers! :laughing

Nevermind, there's always next year :)

You'll have already seen the pics and vids of me rallying the ToW-ers! :D

So now we have chance for a wander :yahoo: Chris, Jessica and I toodle off to have a look round, unfortunately didn't make it round all the stands but we did get to see some lovely motors none the less.

D4NXY's lovely Zed

A Honda thing with bad-ass stance

Toms..... mmmmmm

Shiney Rotary

Looked better than in pics .... honestly! :D

GT-1 GT-R.....

285's on the rear and were still stretched! MADNESS! :shocked:

Then it was time.... the main event.... the one thing everybody had been waiting to see.... The Japanese food eating and drinking competition :shocked: . We made our way over to the Admin tent and the smell hit you from 20ft away, it was truly vile.

After all the hype could our men truimph..... I have to say as soon as Steve started his eyes were streaming.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAKMylsdUfk

Well done that man! :th:

So back to the stand, by this time I'm feeling pretty exhausted. Chris and I pop out to KFC which is becoming a JAE tradition for a select few on Saturday night .... although i did notice Dominos will deliver to the gate! :D . Re-fuelled we head ofto the award presentation with high hopes.

The OFC's and affirmed take their chairs...

Fancy Dress was a let down... Sleep-O pulled off probably the shattest RD-D2 costume ever

How much of this trophy haul would we have? (yeah alright, you all should know by now lol)

Catchweight ToW

Openweight ToW

Food Contest

and IKO Champions for 2011! :yahoo:

So that was it.... all that remained was to wander back to the stand and drink in the atmos.... and the alcohol :) And the fireworks too :th:

(See Paul, your bonnet is pretty shiney!)

The OC, we came, we saw, we kicked ass!

Oh and a few of our stand!

chefey

Post by chefey »

Thoroughly enjoyed reading this. :th:

peteV6R5
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by peteV6R5 »

Dan, captured the week end me thinks. :th:
Highland Drive 13/14/15/17/18/19
JAE 07/09/10/11/12/13/14/15/16/17
Japfest 09/11/12/13/16/19
Wales runs 14/15/16/17/18

paulharry

Post by paulharry »

Nice Dan
I bet everyone was nackered when they got home,looks like you all had a good weekend :th:
Im gutted i never made it up(pretty busy at the minute)and i dont think it would be the same without my 2 there with me :sad:

Id like to say thanks to all the guys involved in one form or another because you did the club proud :clapping1: :toot: :clapping1:

Theres some beautiful mr2s on the stand and its made me even more determined to get mine ready for next spring and given me some new ideas as well :th:

Post by Guest »

chefey wrote:Thoroughly enjoyed reading this. :th:
+1! Great read...

topgun
Years of MR2 Ownership: 8
MR2's Owned: 10

Post by topgun »

Great read and pics Dan, and i finally have my voice back lol

RickMcRick

Post by RickMcRick »

Great read, really summed it up :)
d-peg wrote:Paul .. you have said something that will stick in my mind for a very long time!
Enlighten us :)

Topic author
d-peg

Post by d-peg »

RickMcRick wrote:Great read, really summed it up :)
d-peg wrote:Paul .. you have said something that will stick in my mind for a very long time!
Enlighten us :)
It was simply one of those drunken chats where the subjects just got more and more random. Unfortunately i cannot repeat what was said but it was enough for me to spray my mouthful of beer all over the table in hysterics :laughing . Really it was a "you had to be there to appreciate it" moment.

spanky
Years of MR2 Ownership: 4
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by spanky »

I was really disappointed that I couldn't make it over this year, 'cuase I had a great day last year but other things demanded my money.

I am toying with the idea of driving over next year, so you may have your first N Irish car ever :shocked:

The last photo in your diary post should be substituted into the home page, for the 2009 one ... it would bring the events link image changey thing up to date??

Topic author
d-peg

Post by d-peg »

That would be amazing if you could drive over dude!

vanilla.coffee
Years of MR2 Ownership: 39
MR2's Owned: 5

Post by vanilla.coffee »

Excellent read Dan.

Was awesome to have you, Alan and Paul on the team this year. :th:
Considering how a lot of clubs seemed to have less cars this year I think we possibly had more cars on our stand than anyone else...?
I think a big reflection on how everyone enjoys themselves is in a large part down to the regional reps having their regular meets across the UK. It means most people alreay know each other when they turn up.
I also hope that the few that were worried about should they park their cars on the stand concerned that they might 'not be good enough' now know that JAE is about the people, not the cars.
It's a social weekend where new friendships are formed and old ones renewed. Where fall out in the forums are forgotton about once you put a face to a username.

That was an excellent read Dan. See you soon bud. :th:
They'll take the internet off us if people keep doing this.

andyroo
Regional Rep
Regional Rep
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 14
MR2's Owned: 15

Post by andyroo »

Well said Tony and great read Dan.
Andy.
MR2 MK3 Silver 56
Mercedes E220 2016
Lexus IS300H 2014

JimGreen

Post by JimGreen »

Great read, reminds me of what I'm missing! :facepalm: :facepalm:

I showed this photo to my year 10 class today when talking about Aluminium polishing, was pretty sad :crybaby:

Looks like you guys had a great time.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 12 years and 6 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “JAE pics and vids”