3S-GE in a Mk1??

Considering a turbo or V6 conversion then use this forum
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 13 years and 10 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
pablojones

3S-GE in a Mk1??

Post by pablojones »

I know that there have been several V6/Tubby conversions in a Mk1.........but has anyone done a 3S-GE conversion??
I was just thinking that a 173bhp rev3+ engine with it's increased bhp and torque might be quite entertaining without the added complexity of the turbo gubbins that goes with it!
Any thoughts on how tricky this might be?? (Obviously with my lack of mechanical knowledge this would be done by a pro!)

Protok
Years of MR2 Ownership: 11
MR2's Owned: 4

Re: 3S-GE in a Mk1??

Post by Protok »

I would have said stick with a V6, chassis bending torque really.

If I was going through all that trouble to fit a 3SGE, I'd either get a beams or stick with a 4AGE 20v :th:
Red "Iron Guts" Protok
JAE '11 Food Eating Contest Champion
JAE '12 Food Eating Contest Champion
JAE '13 Food Eating Contest Runner-up
JAE '14 Food Eating Contest Champion

Topic author
pablojones

Post by pablojones »

Protok wrote:
If I was going through all that trouble to fit a 3SGE, I'd either get a beams or stick with a 4AGE 20v :th:
All that trouble?? Is this a tricky conversion then? (forgive my ignorance :) )

Beams would be nice, but as rare as hens teeth and with a price to match.......was thinking that a 3S-GE would give a decent power hike for not too many bucks :th:

Chris69
Years of MR2 Ownership: 13
MR2's Owned: 5

Post by Chris69 »

Yes it has been done, Paul Woods has done one.
Its probably just as difficult as a tubby conversion as far as fitting goes just without the hassle of fitting the intercooler aswell.
There is no "it cant be done" only "I cant do it!"

(OO==\°/==OO)

Topic author
pablojones

Post by pablojones »

So, 173bhp in a roller skate which will still do in excess of 30mpg is quite readily available then on the cheap? :D

Sounds like something i'd like to try then (I already have a Rev2 tubby but I do miss the power delivery and sound of my old NA)

Chris69
Years of MR2 Ownership: 13
MR2's Owned: 5

Post by Chris69 »

Not sure about cheap, theres a fair bit of work re-locating engine and gearbox mounts.

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/turbo.html

That link is a rough idea of whats involved with the turbo conversion wich uses the same mounting points as the n/a.
Things to note are the driveshafts, the n/a uses different ones to the tubby and not sure how they fit on the mk1. The exhaust as you probably know is also different so perhaps a custom downpipe to suit aswell.
Id say its a fairly good conversion, surprised there arent more of them about. Will probably be as quick as a mk2 v6 due to the weight difference. :th:
There is no "it cant be done" only "I cant do it!"

(OO==\°/==OO)

Topic author
cabbydave

Post by cabbydave »

I'm doing the very same at the moment just got the engine mounts welded in and the engine sitting on them but ive got a bit to much on my plate at the moment but its not hard to do like you say an extra 50 bhp from standard has got to be good and usable unlike other conversions that would get a bit insane

Topic author
pablojones

Post by pablojones »

Chris69 wrote:Not sure about cheap, theres a fair bit of work re-locating engine and gearbox mounts.

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/turbo.html

That link is a rough idea of whats involved with the turbo conversion wich uses the same mounting points as the n/a.
Things to note are the driveshafts, the n/a uses different ones to the tubby and not sure how they fit on the mk1. The exhaust as you probably know is also different so perhaps a custom downpipe to suit aswell.
Id say its a fairly good conversion, surprised there arent more of them about. Will probably be as quick as a mk2 v6 due to the weight difference. :th:

Thanks for that Chris, made for an interesting read!

Topic author
pablojones

Post by pablojones »

cabbydave wrote:I'm doing the very same at the moment just got the engine mounts welded in and the engine sitting on them but ive got a bit to much on my plate at the moment but its not hard to do like you say an extra 50 bhp from standard has got to be good and usable unlike other conversions that would get a bit insane
Excellent...........hope your project gets finished, it'd be interesting to see how it works out.

Topic author
martysmith87

Post by martysmith87 »

why dont you go for the 4AGZE supercharger engine surely thats a simpler fit also your going to have around 190 bhp ive seen these engines a while ago on a import engine site and it was around £1500.00

more fun less hassle :th:

Topic author
cabbydave

Post by cabbydave »

If you go fot the supercharged one you still have to change the loom ecu etc.If you use the rev3 on engine you have to change the engine mounts on the chassis and make different front and rear gearbox mounts then alter the wiring and put the rev 3 engine in.Gearbox and drive shafts are straight from the rev3 and fuel pump from rev3 so really theres not much in it except you can get a complete rev3 for a lot less than all the supercharger bits and you can get money back on bits from the rev3 so you could end up with the engine costing you nowt

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 13 years and 10 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “Engine Conversions”