the easiest conversion?

Considering a turbo or V6 conversion then use this forum
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 13 years and 8 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
BenjiRixon

the easiest conversion?

Post by BenjiRixon »

Hey Guys,

i was just wondering whether to spend more cash on trying to get more power from my Rev 2 NA, or go for turbo conversion.

my cars got full exhaust and decat, hks induction kit, iridium plugs and uprated leads and ive treated my engine better than my missis ! oil changed regulary, de-coked, new plugs and its only got 60k on it and next job is cambelt.

I'm not a mechanical novice but def wouldnt want to attempt the conversion, but know a guy who can do it cheaper than garage prices. so do i just sell that engine and go for the tubby?

with all that in mind what Revision engine and gear box etc would i need for my rev 2 :confused1:

Topic author
iLogik

Re: the easiest conversion?

Post by iLogik »

Sell your n/a and buy a turbo. Much easier.

Topic author
BenjiRixon

Post by BenjiRixon »

iLogik wrote:Sell your n/a and buy a turbo. Much easier.
i cant, ive spent tons on it plus its in mint condition with full matching leathers etc.

Protok
Years of MR2 Ownership: 11
MR2's Owned: 4

Post by Protok »

Go test drive a turbo and see if you like it first.
But if you simply want more power and bragging rights; a rev3 turbo clip is your best bet :th:

What's your budget?
Red "Iron Guts" Protok
JAE '11 Food Eating Contest Champion
JAE '12 Food Eating Contest Champion
JAE '13 Food Eating Contest Runner-up
JAE '14 Food Eating Contest Champion

Topic author
iLogik

Post by iLogik »

Buying a turbo won't be as much of a money loss as doing a transplant. Personally I would save a bit more and get a rev3 turbo, better styling and power. It is hard to move on but trust me been and done it many times and it is better to sell up 90% of the time.

Converted car will cost you more to insure too, along with re sale value. Seriously have a think and look up prices.

Topic author
BenjiRixon

Post by BenjiRixon »

Protok wrote:Go test drive a turbo and see if you like it first.
But if you simply want more power and bragging rights; a rev3 turbo clip is your best bet :th:

What's your budget?
ill have to get my mate Jason (welshboyo) to let me take his tubby for a spin, i just fancied more power and something that makes me smile when i put the foot down a bit. ive got about £1500 to spend

so you reckon rev 3 turbo lump and gear box?

Topic author
iLogik

Post by iLogik »

£1500 should do you well, guy has recently written off his rev3, you might give him a shout.

I still say try and sell your n/a for around 1300 and get a rev3 turbo :P

Protok

Post by Protok »

1 very simple piece of advice; Buy cheap, buy twice :th:
Red "Iron Guts" Protok

IanH
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0

Post by IanH »

Or, buy a good condition but standard turbo (can you get standard ones anymore :laughing ), and swap all the good/uprated bits from your current one then sell it on. Depends on whether you are up to swapping parts and if you could cope with having two cars in your possession for a while.

There are other options than a turbo out there though - but I'm not getting into that arguement again. :zip :cheeky: Depends on what your ultimate aim is.

There is a bit more work converting a car between revisions though compared to matching ones - so if you want a rev3 + turbo I would agree buying a turbo would be far less hastle than converting a rev 3 engine transplant into a rev 2.

Topic author
rover76

Post by rover76 »

some folks find it hard to understand how much work peeps put into their mr2's !

i personally would have a fresh engine in mine than change the mr2-knowing how much work i already put into it.

Protok

Post by Protok »

IanH wrote:There are other options than a turbo out there though - but I'm not getting into that arguement again. :zip :cheeky: Depends on what your ultimate aim is.
If I can bite my tongue then so can you :bleh: :laughing :cheeky:
rover76 wrote:some folks find it hard to understand how much work peeps put into their mr2's !

i personally would have a fresh engine in mine than change the mr2-knowing how much work i already put into it.
I completely agree with you Mark, some of us choose to sort out the rest of the car before the engine.
Red "Iron Guts" Protok

Topic author
BenjiRixon

Post by BenjiRixon »

rover76 wrote:some folks find it hard to understand how much work peeps put into their mr2's !

i agree, ive spent to many hours and too much money on my car. i sold it once, missed it so much i bought it back a few months later

Topic author
BenjiRixon

Post by BenjiRixon »

ok so if swapping and matching revisions is too much hard work, what about the V6? would that be an easier option?

Chris69
Years of MR2 Ownership: 13
MR2's Owned: 5

Post by Chris69 »

I dont think swapping and matching revisions is hard work really. V6 is alot more involved IMO.

If you can pick up a rear clip all you need to do is match the one connector in the boot for the right hand side loom. Not exactly difficult, Im not the greatest spark but did it in an afternoon.
There is no "it cant be done" only "I cant do it!"

(OO==\°/==OO)

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 13 years and 8 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “Engine Conversions”