the easiest conversion?

Considering a turbo or V6 conversion then use this forum
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 13 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
BenjiRixon

Re: the easiest conversion?

Post by BenjiRixon »

Chris69 wrote:I dont think swapping and matching revisions is hard work really. V6 is alot more involved IMO.

If you can pick up a rear clip all you need to do is match the one connector in the boot for the right hand side loom. Not exactly difficult, Im not the greatest spark but did it in an afternoon.

i was thinking it coulnt be that hard after reading the sticky on it but thats rev3 turbo going into rev 3 na so i thought thats why it was easy hence me asking.

so what rev engine should i be looking for and do i need the gear box too?

d-peg
Years of MR2 Ownership: 13
MR2's Owned: 6

the easiest conversion?

Post by d-peg »

V6 can be done for well under 1k and with all the guides out there it's easy too.
92 JDM Turbo - V8 Project Car - LINK
93 UK N/A - V6 SC Project Car - LINK
00 mk3 2zz - Driven Daily :D - LINK
It's not a party till I get my bum out

Topic author
BenjiRixon

Post by BenjiRixon »

d-peg wrote:V6 can be done for well under 1k and with all the guides out there it's easy too.
i do love the sound of the V6 mind................... just thinking turbo coz easier to find the engines and easier to do a swap

IanH
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0

Post by IanH »

slickmcrick wrote:
d-peg wrote:V6 can be done for well under 1k and with all the guides out there it's easy too.
i do love the sound of the V6 mind................... just thinking turbo coz easier to find the engines and easier to do a swap
Well, you're welcome to check out the V6 when you visit on saturday - I'll take you for a spin too if you want. :D

Considering that you'll need to change the fuel pump, gear change cables etc as well from the turbo donor, and sorting out ABS parts etc (you can use what you have with a V6 since you'll retain your existing gearbox, linkage, pump, drive shafts etc) there's certainly differences between the two conversions.

Pro's and cons to each route - just worth checking out both options before you decide, if you intend to keep your existing car.

Just for reference I picked up my complete camry donor (road legal and running) for £400. :th: Was almost a shame to break it. :blush:

Chris69
MR2's Owned: 5

Post by Chris69 »

The Tubby conversion is probably more expensive but easier on the whole if you get everything all at once.
You will need the entire rear clip, complete engine, exhaust and turbo, all ancis, wiring loom ecu coil, igniter. Basically the whole bit.
Gearbox and driveshafts.
You will need about 95% of whats in the engine bay BUT if you get it all will be 99% plug and play.

The v6 may be a cheaper option IF you can do it yourself, has a quality engine note but requires more hands on tho like D said, lots of guides out there.

Best Advice is do some research on both. Theres alot of information you wont find on the forums available out there. Wibbles guide in KY2 3sge - 3sge engine swap is an excellent guide for starters, invaluable even for simply dropping the engine out.

Theres not really that much to swapping engines. I was a bit daunted about doing mine, after working on race cars in UNI were everything is just there in front of you it seemed alot more work than it actually is.
There is no "it cant be done" only "I cant do it!"

(OO==\°/==OO)

Protok
Years of MR2 Ownership: 11
MR2's Owned: 4

Post by Protok »

Just to add simply; both engines can break. They aren't either really unreliable but they usually have 100000miles+ on them and that obviously makes them a bit more prone to break.

Even Dan's 3VZ had the big ends go on it and I do not know a guy on here who over engineered a conversion like he did.
Red "Iron Guts" Protok
JAE '11 Food Eating Contest Champion
JAE '12 Food Eating Contest Champion
JAE '13 Food Eating Contest Runner-up
JAE '14 Food Eating Contest Champion

Topic author
BenjiRixon

Post by BenjiRixon »

IanH wrote:
slickmcrick wrote:
Well, you're welcome to check out the V6 when you visit on saturday - I'll take you for a spin too if you want. :D

Considering that you'll need to change the fuel pump, gear change cables etc as well from the turbo donor, and sorting out ABS parts etc (you can use what you have with a V6 since you'll retain your existing gearbox, linkage, pump, drive shafts etc) there's certainly differences between the two conversions.

Pro's and cons to each route - just worth checking out both options before you decide, if you intend to keep your existing car.

Just for reference I picked up my complete camry donor (road legal and running) for £400. :th: Was almost a shame to break it. :blush:
youve just made my weekend :) !

i didnt know you had a V6, i cant wait to see and hear it and pick your brains, the long and short of it is, my rev 2 n/a got smashed into and wrote off coz it needs a new door a wing but im keeping the car and getting £1500 insurance pay out ! so was thinking with the extra cash get some new wheels :D and engine conversion but undecided what conversion

Topic author
BenjiRixon

Post by BenjiRixon »

Protok wrote:Just to add simply; both engines can break. They aren't either really unreliable but they usually have 100000miles+ on them and that obviously makes them a bit more prone to break.

Even Dan's 3VZ had the big ends go on it and I do not know a guy on here who over engineered a conversion like he did.
thats also the other thing im worried about. my engines only got 60k on it and ive really looked after it service wise and i'd be gutted if i done the engine swap and it popped

IanH
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0

Post by IanH »

slickmcrick wrote:youve just made my weekend :) !

i didnt know you had a V6, i cant wait to see and hear it and pick your brains, the long and short of it is, my rev 2 n/a got smashed into and wrote off coz it needs a new door a wing but im keeping the car and getting £1500 insurance pay out ! so was thinking with the extra cash get some new wheels :D and engine conversion but undecided what conversion
Well - My car has in fact been all three. :cheeky:

It was originally a rev 3 na uk car, and a previous owner did a rev 3 turbo engine conversion. When I had some problems with it after a couple of years ownership I decided to go down the V6 route rather than an engine rebuild. Had the V6 for a couple of years now.

I don't mind discussing the various details with you at all - it's always good to get info on things.

Topic author
BenjiRixon

Post by BenjiRixon »

just seen a thread and you were/are doing a V6 for a guy called mick is it? i've seen a wiring diagram guide and it looks major major complecated. dont think i'd be having a bash at it, so i'd have to pay someone to do iy so would cost me more than 1K im guessin

d-peg

Post by d-peg »

I am a complete and utter retard when it comes to wiring and the Paul Woods wiring guide is legendarily simple to follow - even a mongo like me can :laughing .

The engine swap is a doddle as there is available a custom mount for the drivers side from 4veeSix. With an N/A box is even easier as you don't have to worry about the d/s carrier bearing. The only bug-bear is modding the t-pipe to match up with an MR2 exhaust of some kind. I will freely admit i was slow & methodical and the wiring took me 5 hours is all.

HTH

Chris69
MR2's Owned: 5

Post by Chris69 »

Hmmm, v6 seems fairly easy then If bespoke mounts are available and its only maybe a weekend of playing with wiring.
As long as your methodical wiring isnt that difficult, might also help to make some of your own notes as you go along. Have like a step by step for yourself.

btw theres a camry on two-brutal going for peanuts :th:
There is no "it cant be done" only "I cant do it!"

(OO==\°/==OO)

d-peg

Post by d-peg »

Sure is Chris. Saw that one earlier - for £500 it's a bargain start. The bugger points are only really the wiring and exhaust - otherwise plug n play too. To knock up something from the t-pipe to the silencer is nothing while on car & you can probably use the old exhaust bits to do it.

Topic author
BenjiRixon

Post by BenjiRixon »

Yeah seen the camry on there, its a steal big time. ive never done done an engine swap before only very basic stuff. but after seeing so many people do it in their garages who had about the same experience as me a finish it with no probs, makes me want to go for it :th:

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 13 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “Engine Conversions”