3.5 V6 success

Considering a turbo or V6 conversion then use this forum
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 8 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
APDevelopments

3.5 V6 success

Post by APDevelopments »

Hi everybody.
Just thought I’d create this post to comment on my finished 3.5 V6 conversion by Rogue Motorsport.
As most of you know that my MR2 is a Lamborghini Murcielago kit car.
I’ve had the car now for 5 years and it’s taken a lot of work to get here where she is now.
Up till Christmas last year the car was a rev 1 two litre turbo but I decided to take the plunge to get. 3.5 V6 conversion.
I did a lot of homework and had a choice between woodsport or rogue Motorsport. My reasons for finally choosing rogue is due to location only. As I live in Maidenhead, 25 miles west of London. Newcastle is just to far away and to transport the car to.
It has taken rogue 7 months to complete the conversion.
Because my car is a Lamborghini kit car there’s a lot more work in getting things to fit correctly.
The cars not just a mr2 with a body kit. It uses the mr2 floor pan only. The rest is space frame and fibre glass.
Anyways. Back to the V6.
Rogue has done a fantastic job with the conversion and even with the extra expense because of mine being a kit car in my view it’s worth every penny.
Firstly I need to comment on the sound. Rogue have only fitted a tiny 4 inch silencer just to take the edge off the noise level and to keep mr MOT happy.
By god it’s loud. :yahoo: It’s supposed to be its a lambo.
I love when you start from cold it ticks over around 2000 rpm till it warms up.
It really "censored" the neighbors off big time and I’ve had plenty of dirty looks. :clapping:
Once it warms up it’s quite civil. Just a quiet burble.
It’s got that super car turn over sound. A nice long turn over before it springs to life.
When you give it a little rev it certainly lets you know what she is :notworthy:
Now I’ve had a modified ecu fitted by rogue.
I’m not sure of the exact details but I’ve been told it’s from the USA and it has monster written all over it. :th:
I’ve been told it has lots of things upgrading performance but also increases max rpm.
You guys probably know more.
I haven’t driven it very far yet but it sounds absolutely fantastic :notworthy:
It has lovely torque and you can drive around in 2nd or 3rd gear in traffic quite happily.
Performance wise. Yep it is fast. Compared to my Peugeot 1.6 daily driver. It absolutely flys.
I tend to drive like a old fart these days so I’m not to bothered about speed. You only get nicked so the sound and smoothness is more my interest.
Now I know my lambo is extremely heavy. Nearly 2 tonne it’s never going to be as quick as a normal mr2 but I can only imagine what it’s like in a car weighing just under 1 tonne.
Frightening fast would be my guess.
I’m not a great lover of turbo engines myself because every one I’ve ever owned I’ve blown it up. I suffer the same as you probably. Just keep turning up that boost. :facepalm:
Anyways I’ve waffled enough.
If you can afford a 3.5v6 and can afford to have it fitted professionally. Go for it. You won’t be disappointed.
:th:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Woody928
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 2

Re: 3.5 V6 success

Post by Woody928 »

Glad you got what you wanted, the 2GR looks to be a great conversion for our cars. The conversions I've been taken out in have been really impressive!

I'm sure you'll have loads of fun with it :th:
Rev3 JDM GTS Turbo 268.6bhp 262ftlb 0.9bar (Current Toy)
Rev4 UK GT T-BAR (Still in the family)

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by MR2DI4 »

I have been biting my tongue but at the risk of being controversial the bigger picture is 295Hp....in a 2 ton car ?

It looks fantastic but Its not a Bugatti Veyron in the engine department is it.

TonyleFrog
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by TonyleFrog »

Hmmm. Could there be sufficient clearance for a supercharger...? :)
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

Topic author
APDevelopments

Post by APDevelopments »

Hi everybody.
Well the summers over and it’s time to send my lambo / mr2 back to Rogue to tidy up some small jobs that have accumulated during the summer.
I’m now in discussion with rogue with the possibility of supercharging this 3.5 V6 engine.
Having this engine fitted has totally transformed the car since the old 2 litre.
But what should I expect if I plonk a supercharger on to the top of it?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TonyleFrog
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by TonyleFrog »

In terms of power and torque, about the same difference as that between a Lotus Evora and an Evora S.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lotus_Evora
Depending of course on which supercharger you choose.
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

MR2DI4
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by MR2DI4 »

There is a point at which the weight of the car is more important than the power in terms of handling and actual real world performance.

Case in point a nice "Car" on trade-me over here at present, an absolute bargain that would thrash everything at a track day with only an 1800cc engine.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listin ... 2205157500

Topic author
APDevelopments

Post by APDevelopments »

Hi guys.
So from around 280 bhp up to around the 350 mark is a good performance modification for the price of the upgrade.
The car isn’t slow now by any means.
it’s midrange performance for overtaking is fantastic.
So with the supercharger upgrade it would be even more spectacular.
Looks like it has to be done. :yahoo:

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 8 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “Engine Conversions”