2gr standard ecu speed limit?

Considering a turbo or V6 conversion then use this forum
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 2 years and 7 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Fuppylodders

2gr standard ecu speed limit?

Post by Fuppylodders »

Hey, apologies for gatecrashing your forum with a non mr2 :blush: quick bit of background, I own a celica st202 with a 2gr with an e153 (Inc. lsd) fitted. My ecu is untouched by fankenstein motorworks, so is standard power output/rev limit.
I'm unsure that my rev gauge reads correctly. But one thing I am certain on is my speedo reads correct (matches perfectly to Waze-that's good enough for me).
I've seen comments of 2gr mr2's hitting 155mph,but I don't know if that's with an increase in rev limit. It's pointless me trying to ascertain what speeds I'm doing in what gears at what rev, because I don't trust my rev gauge reads correctly.
What I'd like to know, is, for those of you with an untouched standard 2gr ecu, what top speed do you get in the e153? (and, I guess, at what rev is that? I've heard a few slightly varying nukbers-6200/6400...)

(edit) Also, would anyone happen to know if the E56 transmission driveshafts fit in to the E153?
Many. Thanks in advance for any info anyone can provide :)

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: 2gr standard ecu speed limit?

Post by MR2DI4 »

All the Japanese imports here are limited to 180kmhr its their domestic limit. Even the Nissan GTRs are limited. Its easy to get round with a HKS SLD but note the instructions included are wrong. one of the switches needs to be set to a 12V pull up not the 5V pullup or your car starts throwing an engine checklight.

Your GPS makes a pretty good speedo these days.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18

Post by jimi »

MR2DI4 wrote: 29/07/21 23:36 Your GPS makes a pretty good speedo these days.
Fuppylodders wrote: 29/07/21 21:59 But one thing I am certain on is my speedo reads correct (matches perfectly to Waze-that's good enough for me).
Waze uses GPS for its speed readout ;)
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
Fuppylodders

Post by Fuppylodders »

Thanks for the answers, but, I'm not hitting the 155, but instead 130 in 5th where it limits out.
My concern is either:
5th gear has been changed out for a higher (?) ratio, which gives me lower top speed
Or
People who have this swap are hitting 155 because its an aussie/us 2gr (I guess they're not limited unlike the japs?) or because the frankenstein motorworks ecu tune raised their rev limit to 7200, which gives them extra breathing space to go past 130 and hit the 155...

But until I know if an unmolested jap ecu that someone else has also revs out at 130mph, then I'm kinda stuck on the fence as to how to proceed (swap out gearbox or send off ecu).

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

Fuppylodders wrote: 29/07/21 21:59 Hey, apologies for gatecrashing your forum with a non mr2 :blush: quick bit of background, I own a celica st202 with a 2gr with an e153 (Inc. lsd) fitted.
No problem with you posting here :th: your username rings a bell, is your Celica the one Woodsport converted ?

MR2DI4

Post by MR2DI4 »

You know the second you hit the speed limit of 180kmhr because it kills the ignition to your engine and your coasting along in silence.

Roll on from 120kmhr to 180 is so fast that I decided to add a speed cut removal. The fastest I have driven the car over here is about 220kmhr which was pretty scary in something this old. Even with a bit more power now it would still top out at 250kmhr.

The MR2 tops out at about 155 (250km/hr) so the gearing is not the problem, the power is the problem, it simply doesn't have enough to go any faster. The car simply hits an invisible wall regardless of any reserve rpms.

Drag is a cubic law, its simply horrible. Each doubling of speed requires 8 times more Hp. Your going to need like 450Hp to get to the 300km/hr barrier.

Topic author
Fuppylodders

Post by Fuppylodders »

jimi wrote: 30/07/21 0:05
No problem with you posting here :th: your username rings a bell, is your Celica the one Woodsport converted ?
Yup, it's that one, I did manage to bring it to the MR2 day at hatton with Celica Club (great turnout, a lot of really nice mr2s there!)

@MR2DI4
Im not quiiiiiiite sure you're understanding my problem, I might not be explaining it clearly...
Most mr2 2gr conversions I've heard (that people mention) can reach 155mph. But I'm unaware if their rev limit has been increased which provides more breathing space to go faster *if* the power allows them to... Or... If they're able to hit 155 on standard ecu rev limit (which I think is around 6200 or 6400). The 3sgte's I believe rev a bit higher than that, so, as long as the power is there, then they can also hit that and be restricted by power, not topping out on revs.
My problem, mine hits 130 and tops out on rev limit, but certainly has the power to go faster-if it wasn't for hitting the rev limit.
I'm wondering what speed an ecu, that hasn't had its rev limit increased to 7200 by frankenstein motorworks, tops out at with its lower rev limit.

MR2DI4

Post by MR2DI4 »

130mph = 210km/hr so thats still way over the 180km/hr limiter so you cannot have speed limiting holding you back.

Yes the 3SGTE is much better, it has a 7250rpm limit or there abouts, its so high I have never hit it, your shifting at like 6500rpm.

210km/hr is no problem on a stock MR2 turbo with a SLD fitted.

You could probably work the current gearing backwards to the ratio's if you simply look at the rpms and speed in each gear. This would tell you if someone has changed something in the gearbox.

Its a lazy V6 that was not designed to rev, its makes good power and torque but it was not designed as a sports car engine.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

That'll why Lotus used it in the Evora and supercharged versions in the Exige and Emira ;)

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

I thought the rev limit on the RAV4 ECU was 6500 ? What rpm is yours showing when you hit the rev limiter ? Any would you could install ( temporarily) an aftermarket rev counter to check the calibration of yours ?

Topic author
Fuppylodders

Post by Fuppylodders »

jimi wrote: 30/07/21 10:58 I thought the rev limit on the RAV4 ECU was 6500 ? What rpm is yours showing when you hit the rev limiter ? Any would you could install ( temporarily) an aftermarket rev counter to check the calibration of yours ?
Mines from am Rx350. Mine shows 7500, which just isn't right either way, as frankenstein set his limit to 7200, and as far as I'm aware, Woodsport doesn't mess with the ecu's (am almost certain he didn't modify mine).
An aftermarket rev gauge? That's something I'd consider doing to figure out what's what. Any recommendations?

*edited to correct the word limiter to gauge
Last edited by Fuppylodders on 30/07/21 20:20, edited 2 times in total.

Topic author
Fuppylodders

Post by Fuppylodders »

jimi wrote: 30/07/21 10:37 That'll why Lotus used it in the Evora and supercharged versions in the Exige and Emira ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

I'm also pretty sure Paul didn't mess with the ECU's.
After market RPM counter, not limiter ;) I was thinking about something like the digital optical hand held tachometers I've used at work, an adhesive strip is stuck to a shaft or pulley and the tachopicks that up and gives a rpm reading, I've also used an inductive type that can sense a gear tooth (for example) passing by.

Track weapon, looks more like a Torque Monster :laughing

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

Possibly something like this coupled with a tacho sensor

Or even

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 2 years and 7 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “Engine Conversions”