What engine do I go for

Considering a turbo or V6 conversion then use this forum
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 1 year and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
CamMR2

What engine do I go for

Post by CamMR2 »

Hi Guys,

I got my MK2 N/A rev 4 a couple of days ago. Got a nice clean one as a base to start my long term project. First step is deciding/finding/sourcing an engine and accompanying parts. I have enough confidence to do the swap myself as I was a mechanic until 12 years ago. So I'm looking for your opinions and advice as I'll bet there's a ton of experience in here. I want around 300bhp maybe more in time. What engine do I go for?

2GR-FE
Rough cost of conversion?
Accompanying parts needed?
Conversion difficulty?

1MZ-FE - power too low?
Conversion difficulty?

K20/K24 - possible turbo
Conversion difficulty?

3SGTE - Modified eventually
Conversion difficulty?

Anything I'm missing here? Maybe there's another option I've not thought of.
Thanks in advance for your advice.

ayresyboy
Regional Rep
Regional Rep
Current Model: MK2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 20

Re: What engine do I go for

Post by ayresyboy »

See the sticky for the parts list of various conversions.

https://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forum/283/134937.html

Not many companies are doing conversions now. Rogue have a long waiting list. They charge £12k to £13k for a 2gr conversion.
The other v6's are the 3vz, 1mz and 1mz vvti. Patrick Chambers Motor Services can provide mounts but don't think he does conversions anymore. Woodsport also provides accessories for a v6 conversion. There are also a few online shops based in the states that you can purchase bits from.

I would recommend 2gr having experienced it before. But you may be better selling your one and purchasing an already converted v6, turbo or genuine jdm turbo. It's just a matter of patience for the right one to come up. I had my gen 4 turbo up at £9k but no takers. Values have dropped.

Andy
Last edited by ayresyboy on 13/05/22 8:14, edited 1 time in total.
1997 2GR-FE | 1998 3S-GTE

ayresyboy
Regional Rep
Regional Rep
Current Model: MK2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 20

Post by ayresyboy »

Another option I've always thought would work well is a 1zz turbo. ~250hp

There's also the high revving 2zz ~200hp

Andy
1997 2GR-FE | 1998 3S-GTE

Topic author
CamMR2

Post by CamMR2 »

ayresyboy wrote: 13/05/22 8:07 See the sticky for the parts list of various conversions.

https://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forum/283/134937.html

Not many companies are doing conversions now. Rogue have a long waiting list. They charge £12k to £13k for a 2gr conversion.
The other v6's are the 3vz, 1mz and 1mz vvti. Patrick Chambers Motor Services can provide mounts but don't think he does conversions anymore. Woodsport also provides accessories for a v6 conversion. There are also a few online shops based in the states that you can purchase bits from.

I would recommend 2gr having experienced it before. But you may be better selling your one and purchasing an already converted v6, turbo or genuine jdm turbo. It's just a matter of patience for the right one to come up. I had my gen 4 turbo up at £9k but no takers. Values have dropped.

Andy
Cheers for the advice. I'm going to have a chat with Paul from woodsports on Monday and talk through it.

It would be handy to find someone with a converted one to see what they are like. I'm in Norfolk if there's anyone fairly close.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 1 year and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “Engine Conversions”