Japfest Aftermath

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 11 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Craig-rev3
Years of MR2 Ownership: 7
MR2's Owned: 3

Re: Japfest Aftermath

Post by Craig-rev3 »

Dolly Russell wrote:I was told that they stopped people entering the show after 14.30hrs & it didnt matter if people had advace tickets, there was a lot of unhappy people
In a really selfish way, I hope its put some people off going next year so we don't have to queue for 4 hours! :laughing.

In all seriousness, I think the show has become so popular that they need to rethink the venue. I know I would like it to stay at Coombe as its local, but I wouldn't mind travelling further if it meant the venue could take that amount of people without disrupting everyone's day. Afterall you have paid for a ticket to be there for the day, not for just a few hours.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

Rev 3 N/A - RIP :(
Rev 2 Turbo - Sold :(
Rev 1 N/A - Road Legal Track Car :D
Rev 1 V6 - Co-owned side project :D

Brian_UK

Post by Brian_UK »

It would be nice - next year - if we were positioned a little closer to the action - close to where the MX5 club were for example - it would make for some freindly banter :) Brian

d-peg
Years of MR2 Ownership: 13
MR2's Owned: 6

Japfest Aftermath

Post by d-peg »

I've discussed this with a few of the others, I'm putting our complaints in writing with Japfest. If you would like to write a short paragraph or so up here with your full name & location you travelled from, I will include them with the master letter..

Something needs to be said. If at least we all get a written apology for this shambles then it's a start..
92 JDM Turbo - V8 Project Car - LINK
93 UK N/A - V6 SC Project Car - LINK
00 mk3 2zz - Driven Daily :D - LINK
It's not a party till I get my bum out

peteV6R5
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by peteV6R5 »

d-peg wrote:I've discussed this with a few of the others, I'm putting our complaints in writing with Japfest. If you would like to write a short paragraph or so up here with your full name & location you travelled from, I will include them with the master letter..

Something needs to be said. If at least we all get a written apology for this shambles then it's a start..

Stratford upon Avon
After traveling 86 miles to meet up with the MR2OC members so we could convoy in as a club. We left the rendezvous point at 07:45 (same as last year) after traveling approx 800 meters we encounter traffic at standstill. After this it took a further 3 1/2 hours to finally get into Castle Coombe. Last year it took just 15 minutes to travel the same distance. We all speculated that it must have been a serious accident to cause such a delay and most people were accepting this as a potential reason, but no it was just the entrance fiasco that caused the delay.
For a major event to get tied up like this is unforgivable and on top of that a club with 56 cars on its stand being relegated to the back of beyond was the last straw. Regards Will I attend next year, really considering my option after spending close on £100 in total for 4 hours at the circuit is not value for money and my time. Pete Bingham
Highland Drive 13/14/15/17/18/19
JAE 07/09/10/11/12/13/14/15/16/17
Japfest 09/11/12/13/16/19
Wales runs 14/15/16/17/18

Foxystuff

Japfest Aftermath

Post by Foxystuff »

d-peg wrote:Cannot fault the restaurant......
http://www.fratellos.co.uk
Amazing atmosphere, food, wine... (the company was pretty special too :D )

Taxi driver said much the same thing ... no soul..

.. and we did the magic roundabout!

BBC Wiltshire HQ is there too... we walked past it .... twice! :laughing
If you call "pretty special" company a so called lady drinking too much fine wine too quickly, eating like a heathen and talking loudly about sex and Jap cars, I know exactly what you mean. ;)

Onto more serious matters...

I travelled from Cornwall and back in my well-loved motor for the show that I had been looking forward to since last year's show. This cost me two full tanks of fuel and a total of about seven hours driving to queue for in excess of four hours to get four hours in the grounds itself. I missed the first session of drifting (VERY disappointed about that) and had little time to browse the other club stands, which is a significant part of the pleasure. For anyone of sound mind, that equation does not balance and it has left me feeling let down by the organisers. In addition, I was also gutted that our club was moved yet even further away from the action than last year. On a positive note, it was extraordinary that with such unreasonable waiting and queuing time at a predominantly male dominated show, the good spirits attendees kept... However, this is no thanks to the organisation of entry to Japfest.

Rachel Butterfield - Cornwall

TonyleFrog
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16

Post by TonyleFrog »

Dartford, Kent

As a regular attender (this year was my fifth) I always look forward to Japfest as Castle Combe is a great venue for track action. However I am starting to have reservations. Each year our club stand has been moved further and further from the track and, more particularly, the paddock and trade area. We bring 40+ cars to this show, so it seems to me a strange way to treat loyal supporters.

On top of that, I have a more serious complaint this time round. I have an annual 120 mile journey to meet with the other MR2OC members for the short 5 mile club convoy to Japfest. Now leaving home at dawn is a downside I am OK with but, when it takes getting on for twice as long to do those last 5 miles as the previous 120, I have to seriously question whether it is worth the time and expense for just half a day.

I would like the organisers to explain what went wrong and what their proposals are to prevent it happening again. Having a club stand which is almost deserted (because the majority are all still stuck in a massive traffic jam well over 3 miles away from the circuit) over two hours after the show is open to the public is a total shambles.

If they cannot give some assurances in this regard I regret to say that I have grave doubts whether I will be willing to include Japfest on my list of events to attend in 2013.

Anthony Spencer
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

Topic author
Howlin_Mad
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10

Post by Howlin_Mad »

Lichfield, Staffordshire

To whom it may concern,

This was my 3rd year at Japfest and an event I look forward to greatly and have helped to organise in the past. I'm deeply concerned however about the organisation of this years event regarding the entry to Gate C. I always make the Journey down to the event on Friday and stay in a B&B locally as the event is only a one day show, and I aim to maximise my time at the event. Upon reaching Yatton Keynell from Grittleton at 8:20am, the road to the circuit was gridlocked, far worse than any other year I can remember. Granted, I expected to queue to gain entry to Gate C but it took over 25 minutes to enter the circuit along the last 0.5 mile stretch of road. We were very fortunate (we chose the B&B in Grittleton exactly for this reason), but the same cannot be said for the rest of our club whom we did not see arrive on the stand for a good few hours afterwards. The location of the stand was also the furthest from the paddock and trade stands, which was very disappointing, and had a large ditch in the center of it that some of the other members cars had problems traversing.

On a more positive note, I was pleased to see the introduction of some boarding around for the cars to use on busy sections of the stands, but alas, it is simply not enough to outweigh the fact our stand (of 40+ cars) had only 6 cars on it until after 11am despite them leaving a meet point 4.1 miles away in Chippenham over an hour before the public were allowed in.

I would appreciate an explanation as to how this situation arose, and any steps that the show organisers are taking to alleviate the problem for future years, or I will not be attending again as £60 in petrol round trip on top of the ticket price will be better saved for other events where the rest of my club can park in a more prominent position and arrive on time.

One disgruntled MR2 owner and Japfest attendee.

(Dan, insert real name)
MGB GT For Sale// JDM Rev3 3VZ-FE V6

d-peg

Post by d-peg »

Excellent stuff so far... Keep 'em coming!

mr2extreme06

Post by mr2extreme06 »

Leedstown, Cornwall

This was my first time to this show and was really looking forward to it as i had heard good things bout its past shows. I traveled really early Saturday with the journey taking 3 and half hours which didn't bother me but what did bother me was the 4 hour queue getting into the show it's self which was a massive let down for me and i only got to spend just over 4 hours at the show. For me to spend £120 on fuel and a long drive there and back just to sit in traffic was very disappointing and not something i would like to do again.

Would like a good explanation on why this happened and how you stop this from happening again and also how you will repay all your fellow supporters.

kind regards
Andrew Scott

TonyleFrog
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16

Post by TonyleFrog »

d-peg wrote:I've discussed this with a few of the others, I'm putting our complaints in writing with Japfest. If you would like to write a short paragraph or so up here with your full name & location you travelled from, I will include them with the master letter..

Have you seen this? http://www.japfest.co.uk/2012/05/14/jap ... statement/
An interesting mix of comments here. http://www.facebook.com/JapFestCarShow/ ... 7921220740

I think the organisers were caught out by a combination of the 10th anniversary and the fine weather attracting a record crowd and dropped the ball big time. According to one post I read on another forum, a major isssue was people on foot preventing free flow of cars into the parking areas.

On top of that I think the standard of marshalling was much worse than previous years. In 2011 there was someone at the entrance who asked which club you were from and knew which line to direct you into with a further check when it fanned out from 2 lines to 3. This year, nada. So there was total bedlam at the front because people who needed to go left were in the right hand lane and vice versa. A complete Horlicks.

I'm glad I left quite early as I believe getting out wasn't too clever either. Someone posted on PH that the police were conducting noise checks. Don't know if that was true, but if so it certainly won't have helped.
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

Craig-rev3

Post by Craig-rev3 »

TonyleFrog wrote: On top of that I think the standard of marshalling was much worse than previous years. In 2011 there was someone at the entrance who asked which club you were from and knew which line to direct you into with a further check when it fanned out from 2 lines to 3. This year, nada. So there was total bedlam at the front because people who needed to go left were in the right hand lane and vice versa. A complete Horlicks.
The guy directing people in didn't care, he just directed you into a gap that was available. As a result, I ended up in the right hand lane where another marshal who knew what he was doing, had to stop the traffic so I could creep across the lanes & down what looked like a cliff onto the grass!
TonyleFrog wrote: I'm glad I left quite early as I believe getting out wasn't too clever either. Someone posted on PH that the police were conducting noise checks. Don't know if that was true, but if so it certainly won't have helped.
We were pretty much last to leave on the stand and had no issues with getting out or being noise tested. Although by then they had put traffic lights on the gate....

Craig-rev3

Post by Craig-rev3 »

TonyleFrog wrote: On top of that I think the standard of marshalling was much worse than previous years. In 2011 there was someone at the entrance who asked which club you were from and knew which line to direct you into with a further check when it fanned out from 2 lines to 3. This year, nada. So there was total bedlam at the front because people who needed to go left were in the right hand lane and vice versa. A complete Horlicks.
The guy directing people in didn't care, he just directed you into a gap that was available. As a result, I ended up in the right hand lane where another marshal who knew what he was doing, had to stop the traffic so I could creep across the lanes & down what looked like a cliff onto the grass!
TonyleFrog wrote: I'm glad I left quite early as I believe getting out wasn't too clever either. Someone posted on PH that the police were conducting noise checks. Don't know if that was true, but if so it certainly won't have helped.
We were pretty much last to leave on the stand and had no issues with getting out or being noise tested. Although by then they had put traffic lights on the gate....

d-peg

Post by d-peg »

This is the lead letter i have worked through with Rachel to perfect..

On behalf of The MR2 Owners Club (www.mr2oc.co.uk) please find attached testimonials from our members with our covering letter.

Dear Japfest Organisers,

As I am sure you are more than aware by now, we are not among the minority who feel that the gate organisation for such a large event was beyond what could be deemed reasonable. In our opinion, 30 minutes to queue would be acceptable. Whereas we arrived on the tail end of the queue at 7:45 and did not make it into the venue until 12:10. Many of our members had driven for 4 hours or more to be there to sit in the car for a further 4 hours. This is a joke and although people were good natured about this, it doesn't entitle the organisers to take advantage of people's good nature in this respect.

We are sure you also heard that, as a result of poor traffic management, people were stuck on the M4. It gets a little dangerous when you are stationary and traffic is speeding past you at 70mph.

We also have several members who queued to get in, that after 2:30pm were turned away. This was even having advance bought tickets. Seeing as the queue was not in any way any attendee’s fault we feel these people should receive a full refund on their ticket. Furthermore, the vast majority of our members, through no fault of their own, only saw half the show. A partial refund wouldn’t go amiss here either.

If we receive no assurances that the traffic fiasco will not be properly dealt with, come 2013, we will strongly consider against attending as a club.

In addition, MR2OC seem to be pushed into the further reaches of the track boundaries every time. Where is the fairness in location allocation or is it ‘who shouts loudest’? Again, there is some feeling that the good nature of our members leads us to be disadvantaged. To put a club with very low slung sports cars at the bottom of a wet field with a huge ditch through the middle that damaged at least one members car we feel was also unacceptable. Unlike some others, we have not 4WD to get us out of there if needed.

On a personal note, having attended many car shows and large events, the entry method was by far the poorest I have ever encountered. For what I estimate was 2000 cars on display, 3 people checking tickets at GATE C was not enough. Even including the (2) other gates there was still clearly not enough. Did you evenly distribute standpass entry through each gate?

Kind regards,
Daniel Halvorsen

On behalf of MR2OC

You testimonials will follow this letter.

vanilla.coffee
Years of MR2 Ownership: 39
MR2's Owned: 5

Japfest Aftermath

Post by vanilla.coffee »

To whom it may concern,

I actually didn't go to Japfest this year but waited for ages on the phone yesterday trying to get through to the tax office to advise them of the PD11 value of my company car.
I believe the reason for this long wait is your fault because I reckon the people taking ages to answer the phone probably used to work for your mob.

Then to top it all off, I had to wait ages in a queue in Sainsburys because there was only one person on the checkout which I believe is a strategy Sainsburys have adopted from the Japfest organisation system.

I definitely won't be going to Sainsburys again and it's all your fault.

Regards.

Name an address supplied.
They'll take the internet off us if people keep doing this.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 11 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “Japfest Archive”