Highland Drive 2013 chat thread

Moderators: Ripley, toymr2

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 11 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

peteV6R5
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 2

Re: Highland Drive 2013 chat thread

Post by peteV6R5 »

Ripley wrote:
Kinsy wrote:I'll also need to blag a walkie if there's one going :)
I may have one if I can find the charger :th:
Ross just ordered a pair (always useful) so if Ann needs to lend somewhere else then you can borrow my spare

Highland Drive 13/14/15/17/18/19
JAE 07/09/10/11/12/13/14/15/16/17
Japfest 09/11/12/13/16/19
Wales runs 14/15/16/17/18

TonyleFrog
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by TonyleFrog »

toymr2 wrote:Sorry to disagree, you will need it up north as the garage in Ullapool does not sell super unleaded, as I no longer have the Turbo (rest in piece) you are welcome to the 2 bottles of octane booster I have left which should be enough to do the whole weekend.
Unless there has been a very recent change this is not correct. A PH member who lives in Shieldaig confirmed in February that Lochbroom filling station does sell super. It used to be a Shell garage (check out the colour scheme in Google Streetview) but they sold off all their outlets west of the A9 in 2009. It is now owned by Gleaner. The pertinent question is the octane rating. I'm pretty confident it isn't 99RON though. I have e-mailed them to ask whether it's 97 or 98.
Glen N wrote:I just want to be careful so thought the octane booster may be a good idea,I'm not sure if the car is mapped for v power,plus ill probably be running at 1.1bar for a bit of fun rather then the lower setting I usually use.
The standard tubby ECU is designed to work with JDM fuel and is not remappable. Therefore it is advisable to use V-Power or Tesco Millenium. Are you using a programmable stand alone ECU? In any event I certainly wouldn't want to use anything lower than 99RON when running higher than standard boost. Knock is the last thing you need.

If there is anyone else who needs booster let me know and I'll get a multi pack of Millers which can be divvied up.
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

craigo-craigy
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by craigo-craigy »

I want some of that knock stuff :rofl:

craigo-craigy
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0

Post by craigo-craigy »

Or could i say, only ever put Shell in your MR2-Turbo. The others are fake 99 :blink: Unless a re-map allows for crappy Tesco fuel :laughing

Wabbitkilla
Years of MR2 Ownership: 5
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by Wabbitkilla »

Last couple of times I've been there the petrol station is sell in 97ron. Always best to have octane booster just in case anyway.
"It's a quiet road - except for the traffic"

Glen N

Post by Glen N »

My car is running an Apexi power fc,sorry should have said that earlier :facepalm:

There is a few different settings on the commander for boost pressure,the highest being 17.78psi.....16.36......13.51 which I've used over winter. Am I right in thinking 17.78 is pretty high? Ill be fitting my greddy intercooler this week to help with charge temps but don't want to be running the car at a dangerously high boost just for a little extra power.

alanwheeldon
Years of MR2 Ownership: 14

Post by alanwheeldon »

That's fine fella, mine is about 18psi all year round. Don't worry too much about octane booster, 97 will do for us up there :-)

Ripley
Years of MR2 Ownership: 22

Post by Ripley »

Back to the radios, I have 2 spare handsets. Each takes 4 x AAA batteries. I dont have any rechargables but if anyones wants to get some and use the radios I have a charger :th:

Save the bunnies!

TonyleFrog
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by TonyleFrog »

Glen N wrote:My car is running an Apexi power fc,sorry should have said that earlier :facepalm:

There is a few different settings on the commander for boost pressure,the highest being 17.78psi.....16.36......13.51 which I've used over winter. Am I right in thinking 17.78 is pretty high? Ill be fitting my greddy intercooler this week to help with charge temps but don't want to be running the car at a dangerously high boost just for a little extra power.
17.78psi = 1.22bar
16.36psi = 1.13bar
13.51psi - 0.93bar
alanwheeldon wrote:That's fine fella, mine is about 18psi all year round. Don't worry too much about octane booster, 97 will do for us up there :-)
18psi = 1.24bar

None of the above is particularly high although, from an ongoing reliability perspective, I personally wouldn't go above 1.2bar using stock internals. As for using 97RON, it's a judgement call but I certainly wouldnt want to run my car for over 1000 miles on it at the high boost setting. The other option is to adjust the timing but if I had to run the lower octane fuel (sans booster) my answer would be turn the wick down and take the lead out of my boots...
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

Topic author
toymr2

Highland Drive 2013 chat thread

Post by toymr2 »

It's getting very close now only 2 weeks to go,car's ready to go - what about avery one else

This year I am not doing a handout, however it will be available on here for you to print off - if you do not have a printer please let me know and I will print it for you.
This will include:
Mobile numbers for every one on the drive.
Starting times and routes for every day including places we will be stoping for lunch.
And what's planned for the evening entertainment.

And lastly has every one organised there Viking outfits :-)

Wabbitkilla
Years of MR2 Ownership: 5

Post by Wabbitkilla »

Really looking forward to this, car will have another couple of outings before then so will likely need a clean. This year the car is up and running, leaping out of starts, ready and willing. It's really discrete compared to last years car, no matter what PeteT says :lol:
"It's a quiet road - except for the traffic"

PeteT
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 4

Post by PeteT »

Wabbitkilla wrote:It's really discrete compared to last years car, no matter what PeteT says :lol:
:rofl: I've got my custom made ear plugs at the ready!
2's Owned
1989 Mk1 N/A TBar - Red
1992 Mk2 N/A TBar - Red
1999 Mk2 N/A TBar - Red
1999 Mk2 Under Cover Tubby Tbar - Red - sold to chris3boro
2003 Mk3 - Red

Glen N

Post by Glen N »

Spent hours on Saturday claying,polishing and waxing the car and some idiot has hit the car at work today and driven off. I was working in a dead end street with only a few houses aswell. They managed to clip my wheel and bumper and bend the run strip out of shape. Managed to get most of the scratches off but the bump strip is knackered. Not happy al all,especially with trip being next week. I suppose the bumper will get chips on the trip but folk who damage someone else's cars and drive off are a disgrace :sad:

Topic author
toymr2

Post by toymr2 »

Glen N wrote:Spent hours on Saturday claying,polishing and waxing the car and some idiot has hit the car at work today and driven off. I was working in a dead end street with only a few houses aswell. They managed to clip my wheel and bumper and bend the run strip out of shape. Managed to get most of the scratches off but the bump strip is knackered. Not happy al all,especially with trip being next week. I suppose the bumper will get chips on the trip but folk who damage someone else's cars and drive off are a disgrace :sad:
That's a shame Glen, your car was looking really good at South Queensferry last Sunday, but as you said damage is superficial so you can still make the highland drive :)

See you next Thursday :th:

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 11 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “Highland Drive 2013”