Cracked Windscreen

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 15 years and 7 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
ed_c

Cracked Windscreen

Post by ed_c »

My windscreen has been leaking through the top into the cabin, which has been irritating and I've been meaning to get it replaced under insurance.

The windscreen is delaminating and looking like its suffering from stress at each of the corners. Yesterday a large crack formed on the passenger side of the window, which is great since its due an MOT next week.

As I understand it the windscreen surround has corroded, so I need to remove the windscreen strip it back to bare metal, treat and then get a new windscreen installed.

Question is if I get RAC glass out under the insurance are they likely to come along and remove the windscreen and then come back and replace it at a later date!?

Cheers
Ed

Topic author
jamez

Cracked Windscreen

Post by jamez »

i had mine done not so long ago, mine was a bit rusty underneath the guy put some rust inhibitor and treater on the frame but said not to worry about it, he was from autoglass tho RAC could be different, Autoglass seemed to be pretty good to me, ring and ask them about it they might be able to sort soemthing out if you want to repair the rust.

Topic author
ed_c

Re: Cracked Windscreen

Post by ed_c »

Jamez, was your windscreen cracked/leaking, I'm thinking I probably have significant corossion for it to be leaking and stressing the glass enough to crack it. I'll speak to RAC Windscreens see what their policy is.

thanks
ed

Topic author
jamez

Cracked Windscreen

Post by jamez »

my windscreen was very badly cracked, and delaminating but not leaking i dont think, but prob best ringthem and see what there policy is, RAC will prob be slightly diff to autoglass, i know the bloke from Autoglas didnt rate RAC much, but then i spose RAC dont rate autoglass lol

Topic author
paff

Cracked Windscreen

Post by paff »

Its a common problem unfortunatly, you really do want to give the glass company a shout and see if they will remove one day and refit another. If you don't get it done it will just get worse.

I'd be surprised if you couldn't come to some sort of arrangement, at least I'm hoping thats the case as I have 3 or 4 to get done myself when I get around to it.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 15 years and 7 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK1”