Broken engine lid cable

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 15 years and 4 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
fillpoke

Broken engine lid cable

Post by fillpoke »

Hi all,
Major problem - can't get to the engine because I'm unable to open the lid due to the cable either snapping or coming adrift. So short of a tin opener I'm totally stuck. Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks also to those who helped me with a couple of previous problems.

FlashHarry
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0

Broken engine lid cable

Post by FlashHarry »

Are you sure its not broken at the end near the pull (just behind the driver seat). If its hear you may be able to get pliers and just pull it to release lid.

If its the other end try opening your boot and see if you can access lock from this side

Topic author
DeeZee

Re: Broken engine lid cable

Post by DeeZee »

I'd go with FlashHarry on this one, and try to pull the cable by hand. Obviously this will only work if the cable hasn't snapped.

My frunk did this once, and the cable was working, but the mechanism stuck. So I just got something in the gap between the panels and jiggled the bonnet up. Once it has some pressure behind it, the bonnet 'popped' up like normal.

Topic author
DeeZee

Post by DeeZee »

I drew you this (honest :tongue: ) In case it helps. Looks like the cable runs all over the show..... I don't think you can reach it from the boot, and looking under my car, you'll need super long and thin arms to reach the mechanism from underneath. Sorry.

Last edited by DeeZee on 09/12/08 22:00, edited 1 time in total.

FlashHarry
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0

Broken engine lid cable

Post by FlashHarry »

Ive replaced one of these and someone was on one when they decided the route! LOL

IIRC it runs underneath the trim just belo9w the back window so you hav eto remove that, the upper cassette box holder, the panel that the release is in too. It then eneters the engine bay on the passenger side and twists like a rolercoaster beforre it finally gets to the lock. Crazy!!

Topic author
paff

Broken engine lid cable

Post by paff »

Not an easy one to get around.

Last time this happened to one of ours there was a hole that had been cut into the engine lid for an intercooler for an SC build, with that hole there was just enough room to get to all 3 of the bolts that hold the atch on and undo them.

I have a mk1 up on my ramp at the moment, if I get achance tomorrow I'll see if there is any way to get some sort of access from underneath easily, unfortunatly is another SC so might be different for access. I migt be able to take a look and see if I can get into mine as well to, depends how my time is doing.

From what I remember you can't access it by opening the boot so that methods gonna be a no go.

Topic author
iLogik

Broken engine lid cable

Post by iLogik »

I might have a spare one mate, need to work out which one I sold, which one I broke and which one I have left.

Topic author
paff

Broken engine lid cable

Post by paff »

Deezee, changed the pic for a mk1 version then :D

I'll have a look tomorrow, I might have a spare mk1 cable lying around that will be fine, was removed after the V6 swap and worked at that time.

Just gotta see if I can find the box I decided to store it in lol

Topic author
DeeZee

Post by DeeZee »

paff wrote:Deezee, changed the pic for a mk1 version then :D
LOL Yeah I spotted my mistake when you pointed out you had a MK1 on the ramps..... Then I twigged.

I can't remember the phone number off the top of my head :wink: but these guys can get into anything :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

Last edited by DeeZee on 09/12/08 22:10, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
paff

Broken engine lid cable

Post by paff »

I get stuck with what to use, the little anglegrinder, the bigger angle grinder or the plasma cutter, all 3 have thier advantages.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Broken engine lid cable

Post by jimi »

If you have long arms you an reach the catch from underneath, it's awkward, but can be done. Depending on where it's broken you may be able to pull the inner cable down from underneath and get it released that way.
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
redwood

Post by redwood »

Hi
just joined to add a little info to this thread as it may benefit someone. My engine cover on my mk1 supercharged got stuck. .the cable seized up.
I managed to open the cover by releasing the latch from the boot with some long tweezer nose pliers that had a bend on the end.the gap is enough to trigger the latch.
If you look at the latch for the boot you will know what to do...The only difference is that the pivot for the latch is slightly lower down.
I oiled my cable and put it back together and it is working fine now.
Can't see how to upload pics otherwise I have a pic of the latch which would help . However it is straight forward.

Topic author
redwood

Post by redwood »

Will try and upload a pic of the latch.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 15 years and 4 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK1”