Headlight issues - Please help

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 14 years and 3 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Jimos

Headlight issues - Please help

Post by Jimos »

Hi guys,

Last week my passenger side headlight decided that it no longer wanted to 'Pop up' The headlight is on however it wont budge. Anything obvious i can check before thinking about taking it to a professional ?

Thanks

Jimos

Topic author
daven_mac

Re: Headlight issues - Please help

Post by daven_mac »

I have a similar problem. The headlights go up and down fine. But on normal dipped beams the passenger side headlight is not on. However it turns on with full beam?!

strange...

Topic author
MGMgrand

Post by MGMgrand »

Speaking from experience on a MK2 (but I think they have similar mechanisms) the motors sometimes get bunged up with road rubbish especially at this time of year. A quick fix is a spray of WD40 towards the motor.

Thereafter I have removed and cleaned the motor/mechanism and replaced.

Hope this helps.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

Can you wind it up manually ?
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

JayUK91
Years of MR2 Ownership: 7

Post by JayUK91 »

My passenger headlight can be a bit dodgy at times, yet other times it works fine.

If it happens to get stuck, i simply lift the frunk, and wind the knob a little behind it to "encourage" it to pop up. It then pops up fine!

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

daven_mac wrote:I have a similar problem. The headlights go up and down fine. But on normal dipped beams the passenger side headlight is not on. However it turns on with full beam?!

strange...
Bulb is probably blown on the dip filament ;)

Topic author
Jimos

Post by Jimos »

Afternoon,

I took out the retractor relay and gave the terminals a clean and it is now working. will have to wait and see if it has cured it or if it just a coincidence. Thanks for the advice guys.

Jimos

Topic author
daven_mac

Post by daven_mac »

jimi wrote:
daven_mac wrote:I have a similar problem. The headlights go up and down fine. But on normal dipped beams the passenger side headlight is not on. However it turns on with full beam?!

strange...
ahhh. I was unaware there were multiple filaments. Thought it all ran from the same bulb.

also, have you any idea where I can find a Haynes manual for a MK1b? or if one exists?

Topic author
MangoMan

Post by MangoMan »

daven_mac wrote:
jimi wrote:

strange...
ahhh. I was unaware there were multiple filaments. Thought it all ran from the same bulb.

It takes a H4 Bulb, 2 Filaments in one bulb. You have to change the Bulb for a new one.

No Manual as far as I know.

This site is quite helpful, and not only for Toyotas... It's in Russian, but quite easily understood: http://www.auto-parts.spb.ru/cat/oem_to ... ent=dr2000

Ciao.

Topic author
daven_mac

Post by daven_mac »

£7.99 for a bulb. steep.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

daven_mac wrote:£7.99 for a bulb. steep.
That is steep, you can buy a pair of Osram Nightbreakers (which are excellent) for around £11, check this thread I posted a link to bulbs on it http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forums/40/129347.html
Haynes did a manual for the MK1 which you can pick up on ebay (but it is based on the US models and there are quite a few differences.
If you have a look at this thread http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forums/199/105677.html there's a link to download the Toyota workshop manual (aka the BGB)

Topic author
GaryG Mk1B

Post by GaryG Mk1B »

I don't know how related this is, I've been having a similar problem with mine, the headlights fold up one after the other and then do not fold away again, I'm fairly sure it's some kind of electrical fault as it started when I replaced a relay, however I've tried fresh relays and that does nothing for the problem, I'm meant to be showing the car in the arena at a local show on the 17th, any thoughts?

Topic author
fingers99

Post by fingers99 »

Jimos wrote:Afternoon,

I took out the retractor relay and gave the terminals a clean and it is now working. will have to wait and see if it has cured it or if it just a coincidence. Thanks for the advice guys.

Jimos
Put some silicone grease on the (now clean and corrosion free) relay terminals and it should stay fine for the life of the car.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

:) the post you quoted was from 4 years ago ;)

GaryG Mk1B
Which relay did you replace (and why did you replace it in the first place) ?

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 14 years and 3 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK1”