Boot Lock not working

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 13 years and 2 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
andyroo
Regional Rep
Regional Rep
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 14
MR2's Owned: 15

Boot Lock not working

Post by andyroo »

Removed my boot lock today and for some reson the key will now not turn the lock or the lever in the front of the car also fails to operate,what have i done??

MR2 MK3 Silver 56
Mercedes E220 2016
Lexus IS300H 2014

Phil-B

Re: Boot Lock not working

Post by Phil-B »

I now cannot get into my boot. I just went out to put some stuff in the boot,put the key in the lock and it turned half way so it's now in this position.... _

I then tried to open the boot from inside and it won't open. However the boot lid is sat up slightly but it won't be pushed down and the key won't turn in the lock???

rover76

Post by rover76 »

sounds like you have dead locked the boot.

RickMcRick

Post by RickMcRick »

Yeah, I've seen this happen. If you turn the key the opposite direction it puts the lock in valet mode so it can't be opened from the handle in the cabbin.
If you never use this position, the one time you do it can get stuck.

I've watched Wibble and Ogg trying to fix one so I'll share there technique with you.

You will need:
1 x car with the boot lock in valet mode.
1 x key to said lock.
1 x bottle of cooking oil.
1 x plasit straw.
7 x people.

Use cooking oil (WD40 is too thin) and a straw.
Get some oil in the straw and push into the lock and apply.
Put the key in and waggle it.
Give someone else they key and let them have a go.
Pas the key on again and try again.
7 is the minimum number of people who have to have a try.
Put some oil on the key and in the lock and eveyone try again.
Finally the lucky person gets it open (because the rest loosened it).

Good luck!

Topic author
andyroo
Regional Rep
Regional Rep

Post by andyroo »

RickMcRick wrote:Yeah, I've seen this happen. If you turn the key the opposite direction it puts the lock in valet mode so it can't be opened from the handle in the cabbin.

I've watched Wibble and Ogg trying to fix one so I'll share there technique with you.

You will need:
1 x key to said lock.
1 x plasit straw.
7 x people.

Good luck!
Thanks Rick,i think that is exactly what i have done,will have to wait until i have a free weekend and find 6 people to help me. :crybaby:
MR2 MK3 Silver 56
Mercedes E220 2016
Lexus IS300H 2014

RickMcRick

Post by RickMcRick »

andyroo104 wrote: Thanks Rick,i think that is exactly what i have done,will have to wait until i have a free weekend and find 6 people to help me. :crybaby:
Also the more by standers you can get discussing which way to turn it and how to waggle it helps.

BTW, is this on a MK1? Just double checking as you have a Mk2 in the avatar but this is posted in the MK1 section. It was a Mk2 I saw this done on, but I'm assuming the MK1 could well be the same.

Topic author
andyroo
Regional Rep
Regional Rep

Post by andyroo »

Yes this is on a mk1 Rick,this is almost definitely the problem as the cam on the end of the lock is in the wrong position so will not allow the cable lever to operate
MR2 MK3 Silver 56
Mercedes E220 2016
Lexus IS300H 2014

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

You may have accidentally set the lock to the dead lock position when you removed and refitted it.
It should unlock with the key, BUT bear in mind that the MK1 came with 2 keys, one was the main key that would unlock/lock all the locks, doors, glove-box and boot and operate the ignition, the other was called the valet key and will only unlock the doors and operate the ignition, it will not unlock the glove-box or boot if they are dead locked ;)
The valet key was for giving to a garage or valet parking service, you could lock up any valuables in the boot or glove-box with the main key and they wouldn't have any access to them.
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

RickMcRick

Post by RickMcRick »

andyroo104 wrote:Yes this is on a mk1 Rick,this is almost definitely the problem as the cam on the end of the lock is in the wrong position so will not allow the cable lever to operate
Cool, just double checking. I'm the same, my sig has 2 of my Mk2s on it, but I'm currently driving a Mk1 :)

Phil-B

Post by Phil-B »

RickMcRick wrote:Yeah, I've seen this happen. If you turn the key the opposite direction it puts the lock in valet mode so it can't be opened from the handle in the cabbin.

You will need:
1 x key to said lock.
1 x plasit straw.
7 x people.

Good luck!
I've tried this and can't get in! OK I didn't have 7 people....

Any other suggestions before I call in a lock smith that does cars? :confused1:

RickMcRick

Post by RickMcRick »

@Phil - Yeah, do it again with 7 people. If you don't follow my instructions how can you expect it to work. Wibble and Ogg are both only down the road from you, maybe worth dropping a nice smile in there direction and letting them give it a wiggle. I don't mind coming along to make up the numbers.

Phil-B

Post by Phil-B »

RickMcRick wrote:@Phil - Yeah, do it again with 7 people. If you don't follow my instructions how can you expect it to work. Wibble and Ogg are both only down the road from you, maybe worth dropping a nice smile in there direction and letting them give it a wiggle. I don't mind coming along to make up the numbers.
Why do we need 7?? When you saw this being done how long did it take from start to finish?

I can't even fit that wiper stalk as it's trapped in the boot :rolleyes:

Phil-B

Post by Phil-B »

RickMcRick wrote: I don't mind coming along to make up the numbers.
You mean you would like to come along to have a good laugh watching half a dozen people try to get in an MR2 whilst you sit and sneer at us :search: :laughing

RickMcRick

Post by RickMcRick »

Phil-B wrote: Why do we need 7??
We had 7 people and we got in, you didn't have 7 and you didn't get in, this speaks for it's self ;)
Phil-B wrote:When you saw this being done how long did it take from start to finish?
Errrrm 15 - 20 mins maybe?
Phil-B wrote:I can't even fit that wiper stalk as it's trapped in the boot :rolleyes:
LOL, that's class :)
Phil-B wrote: You mean you would like to come along to have a good laugh watching half a dozen people try to get in an MR2 whilst you sit and sneer at us :search: :laughing
No way man, if I'm the difference between 6 and 7 people I'll do my fair share of waggling ;)

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 13 years and 2 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK1”