MK1 No Fuel Coming Through

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 12 years old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
OhFurFoxSake

Post by OhFurFoxSake »

Well my MK1 has been sat quite literally gathering dust in the garage for the past 3 years (a major crime I know!) and I decided to pull it out yesterday and give it a good clean up.
I went to start it and it fired up no probs as usual, I let it a run a minute then realised it was all but out of fuel so turned it off and since the battery was a little weak I put it on charge.
I came back to it later and treated it to a gallon of fuel and took it off charge, I went to start it and it just kept whizzing over for ages without even contemplating starting. I pulled a plug out and it was bone dry, clearly no fuel getting through as though the pump has just stopped working. The unusual thing is though I noticed that the fuel gauge has stopped working too (all other gauges are fine) - the two are obviously related.
Does anyone have any ideas what could be going on here? It's really got me stumped, I'm wondering if something could have blown when it was on charge?
Any advice greatly appreciated.

James

Kinsy
Years of MR2 Ownership: 4

Re: MK1 No Fuel Coming Through

Post by Kinsy »

Put more fuel in it. 2-3 jerrycans worth!

Topic author
OhFurFoxSake

Post by OhFurFoxSake »

Kinsy wrote:Put more fuel in it. 2-3 jerrycans worth!
I don't think that's the problem to be honest, I didn't run it ouf of fuel, it was just low. It has a gallon more than when it was running so it should be plenty. Also, the fuel gauge was working fine before and had the reserve light on - it's now doing nothing at all. :confused1:

Kinsy
Years of MR2 Ownership: 4

Post by Kinsy »

It will be lack of fuel.

The car started on what was probably in the pipes. Especially if the car's on a slope it'll struggle to pick up fuel.

I've seen it time and time before! And what's the harm of putting a couple more gallon in exactly?

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

Deepthinkeruk wrote: - the two are obviously related.
Not really, fuel gauge is fed from the same fuse as the rest of the gauges (7.5 amp Gauge fuse) Fuel pump is fed from 15 amp EFI fuse. Are you sure all the normal lights are coming on when you switch the ignition on ? and the rest of the gauges are working ?
Is the fuel pump running ? Try this to check
Slacken the banjo fitting on the fuel line at the top of the fuel filter.
Switch the ignition on (do not try to start the engine)
Use a wire link to short terminals +B and FP on the check connector while watching the fitting you slackened, you should see fuel spraying out (have rag in position to catch it)
If there is no fuel then either your pump has failed or there's not enough fuel in the tank
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

PaulWoods
Years of MR2 Ownership: 19
MR2's Owned: 28

Post by PaulWoods »

As Jimi says the fuel gauge and pump circuit are totally separate, the two faults are not related.

It's extremely common for a 25 year old Mk1 fuel pump to stop working after a long lay up, what can often happen is your 3 year old fuel (which will undoubtedly be off) will have coagulated, it develops a scum like wallpaper paste, and if you drag some of that through the pump it can stop it working, it has also been known to block the injectors instantly.

I have treated dozens of long term stored Mk1's for this over the years.

Your best hope is that it's just low on fuel (doubt it), if you're lucky it will just be blocked injectors (take them out, have them cleaned and replace) , worst case your pump is dead.

Do Jimi's test and you'll know either way :th:
http://www.woodsport.org 0191 3770962 / 07951304712

Topic author
OhFurFoxSake

Post by OhFurFoxSake »

jimi wrote:
Deepthinkeruk wrote: - the two are obviously related.
Not really, fuel gauge is fed from the same fuse as the rest of the gauges (7.5 amp Gauge fuse) Fuel pump is fed from 15 amp EFI fuse. Are you sure all the normal lights are coming on when you switch the ignition on ? and the rest of the gauges are working ?
Is the fuel pump running ? Try this to check
Slacken the banjo fitting on the fuel line at the top of the fuel filter.
Switch the ignition on (do not try to start the engine)
Use a wire link to short terminals +B and FP on the check connector while watching the fitting you slackened, you should see fuel spraying out (have rag in position to catch it)
If there is no fuel then either your pump has failed or there's not enough fuel in the tank
Hi Jimi, thanks for your help with this. I know that the faults aren't technically related with regards to the circuit but for me it's too much of a coincidence for the gauge to suddenly die and the car stop fueling at exactly the same time. I've had the car 12 years and although it's been sat in the garage for the past 3 I do start it up regularly and it always fires up within a couple of turns even when the battery is weak, it's never missed a beat until now.
All the other gauges and lights etc. are working (although I can't be sure of temp'), I've checked all fuses and they are fine.
I'm confident that the fuel in the car isn't 'off', as mentioned before I run the car regularly and it has fuel added every few months. I've added another gallon of fuel this morning and am now sure there is plenty in the tank.
I did the pump check this morning, no fuel came through and the wire link instantly went red hot and started smoking :confused1:

Topic author
OhFurFoxSake

Post by OhFurFoxSake »

I've just taken out the centre console and tested the wires going to fuel pump and sender - nothing from either of them, completely dead. :no:
I really don't know where to go from here :confused1:

Topic author
snowtigger

Post by snowtigger »

Drop the tank, clean tank , replace pump clean fuel lines out with air gun.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

Deepthinkeruk wrote:[
I did the pump check this morning, no fuel came through and the wire link instantly went red hot and started smoking :confused1:
Sounds like the pump has jammed or is seized. The link would be smoking because it wasn't heavy enough to carry the current the pump was trying to draw.
If you want to check the wiring then
Disconnect the pump under the centre console
Put the +B / FP link back in,
Ignition on and test with a voltmeter between the Light Blue wire and the White/Black wire that you disconnected at the pump, you should see battery voltage, if that's OK then I'm afraid the problem is the pump.
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
OhFurFoxSake

Post by OhFurFoxSake »

jimi wrote:
Deepthinkeruk wrote:[
Sounds like the pump has jammed or is seized. The link would be smoking because it wasn't heavy enough to carry the current the pump was trying to draw.
If you want to check the wiring then
Disconnect the pump under the centre console
Put the +B / FP link back in,
Ignition on and test with a voltmeter between the Light Blue wire and the White/Black wire that you disconnected at the pump, you should see battery voltage, if that's OK then I'm afraid the problem is the pump.
F*@#*%$!!! :crybaby:
You're quite right, I didn't want to believe it but that's now definately the case and bizarrely the sender has packed up at the same time! :facepalm:
I suppose it has helped in my decision making as to whether to finally part company with the car anyway.
Anyone interested in a lovely MK1, just requires fuel pump and sender :rolleyes:

Topic author
snowtigger

Post by snowtigger »

£5

Topic author
OhFurFoxSake

Post by OhFurFoxSake »

Okay, bit of an update on this....
After believing the pump was goosed I started the process of getting the car up on stands and dropping the tank. I soon ran into difficulties getting it anywhere near high enough as space in the garage is really tight. It was giving me a headache so I decided to come back to it and get it all sorted in spring next year.
So, the other day I had a brainwave that (in desperation) I'd try running a wire directly to the pump wires in the centre console so I could try swapping polarities to the battery and hopefully free off the pump.
As soon as I hooked it up, it span absolutely fine in either direction! :blink:
Connected everything back up as it should be and the pump still doesn't work even with the diagnostics ports bridged :confused1: I run power directly from the battery and it works fine.
Any ideas where I look now?? I'm really happy that the pump is fine, I didn't want to have to do that job or pay someone to do it but am now back at square 1 :sad:

Chris69
Years of MR2 Ownership: 13
MR2's Owned: 5

Post by Chris69 »

Checked the relay and fuses yet?

sent from my foot to your "censored"!
There is no "it cant be done" only "I cant do it!"

(OO==\°/==OO)

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 12 years old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK1”