Restoring a Mk1

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 9 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
sfarrell94

Restoring a Mk1

Post by sfarrell94 »

Hi all,

I already own a Mk2 and love the car, however its the mk1 i've always wanted, i've found one that has been off the road for at least 2 years and hasn't moved an inch in that time. Realistically what will have seized up and need replaced, and what can be repaired. I'm told by the owner that the reason its off the road is because he ran the front pads into the discs and couldn't afford the repair costs at the time.

I know this wont be a quick or cheap adventure, however im willing to put the time into it to prevent the car going to the scrapheap, heres the only picture ive taken of the car so you can get a rough idea the shape its in. http://i.imgur.com/ZbUsRli.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Chris69
Years of MR2 Ownership: 13
MR2's Owned: 5

Re: Restoring a Mk1

Post by Chris69 »

Oof, poor thing has seen a fair bit of neglect :sad:

Glad its being saved, was that the one that's been sat just off the main road going through Bo'ness?

From the brief description I would assume that its been fairly mis-treated and prepare for a pretty big bill for general service items, discs and pads are very basic and not expensive so the rest of it may need could be lightening your wallet quite significantly.

Your main seizure is bound to be brakes; All 4 calipers are probably shot - would go for a re-manufactured set rather than a DIY refurb, the state they would be in you would more than likely get a recurring issue. Would do the handbrake cables while your there.

Oil pump, water pump, starter motor, alternator, all belts more than likely perished too.

Tbh before you get bogged down with the mechanical's and investing just go over it very thoroughly for any rot and rust, particularly around the killer areas, then check over all the panels with a magnet, my first was literally made of spit and kleenex from the doors back.

Good luck.
There is no "it cant be done" only "I cant do it!"

(OO==\°/==OO)

Topic author
sfarrell94

Post by sfarrell94 »

I've priced up a complete braking system replacement, new oil and water pumps, alternators, starter motors, belts and pretty much anything rubber. Along with the price of the car included its sitting at roughly £1700. Thats before the engine and bodywork are even looked at.

Yes this is the one sitting in Bo'ness, its such a shame for an original mk1 TRD to go to waste!

Ripley
Years of MR2 Ownership: 22
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by Ripley »

Did you do anything about the other one Scott?

Save the bunnies!

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

sfarrell94 wrote: its such a shame for an original mk1 TRD to go to waste!
Sorry but there's no such animal as a MK1 TRD, TRD did produce tuning parts for the MK1 but never did complete car conversions like the MK2. It looks like a later 1a (side skirts give it away, early 1a's didn't have them) so not that rare, wheels aren't original, it would have come with 1a triangles.
Sad to say that unless the body work on that car is in reasonable condition it's probably not worth trying to save.
Before going ahead I'd suggest making thorough inspection of the bodywork underneath paying particular attention to the suspension mounting points, sills, rear arches/rear valance and both the A and B pillars.
Having said that if you have the time and money anything can be saved :cool1: good luck with it :th:
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

PaulWoods
Years of MR2 Ownership: 19
MR2's Owned: 28

Post by PaulWoods »

Agree fully with Jimi, as much as i like seeing a Mk1 being saved, that one is nothing special and looks too far gone to me, you would be much better off putting your money into one that didn't need as much work, i bet that one is really nasty where it matters.
http://www.woodsport.org 0191 3770962 / 07951304712

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 9 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK1”