Mk1 Toyota MR2 Dark Mica Blue 8E3 Paint Matching

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 9 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
CraigMitche11

Mk1 Toyota MR2 Dark Mica Blue 8E3 Paint Matching

Post by CraigMitche11 »

Hi, I am cleaning up a 1989 MR2 T-Bar and need to paint two areas. I am really struggling to get a paint match, and searching around it seems a common problem! I had some made up at halfords, and it's purple, awful.
I know it can be scanned at a body shop and they could spray it a similar colour, but I want to paint it myself if possible to save money.
I was wondering if anyone has been through this before, and knows of a different 'off the shelf' colour that I could buy that is the same shade?

Thanks.

peteV6R5
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 2

Re: Mk1 Toyota MR2 Dark Mica Blue 8E3 Paint Matching

Post by peteV6R5 »

I use autopaint at st helens
http://auto-paint.co.uk/carpaint/

When you order you give:-
a full description
Paint code
upload picture of the car.
so they have multiple reference points to help them mix if correctly.

Had 3 sets of paint from them for my Cosmos Blue (which is a complex mix of colours) and they got it all 3 times :D

The rattle cans give a fan spray (like proper air guns), rather than the cone shape of normal rattle cans.

Got a not bad finish with mine on the bits I have done.
Highland Drive 13/14/15/17/18/19
JAE 07/09/10/11/12/13/14/15/16/17
Japfest 09/11/12/13/16/19
Wales runs 14/15/16/17/18

Topic author
fingers99

Post by fingers99 »

I'd take the car -- or even a part of it! -- to a car paint supplier together with the colour code reference (on VIN plate, front face of frunk). They'll have swatches and years of experience (even blue fades). Most will do aerosols if wanted.

I like Carpaint UK in Green Lane, Liverpool, but no idea what part of the multiverse you inhabit.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

fingers99 wrote: together with the colour code reference (on VIN plate, front face of frunk).
As per the post title 8E3 is the code for Dark Mica Blue, on a MK1 the VIN plate is here http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/know-your-2-know ... kbartid=30
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
fingers99

Post by fingers99 »

Yep, missed that!

Topic author
CraigMitche11

Post by CraigMitche11 »

Thanks for your help guys, I'm in Carnforth, northern Lancashire.

Topic author
Fab4mr2

Post by Fab4mr2 »

I though the car's paint code was supposed to allow paint shops to automatically mix paint to the right color, although not allowing for paint fade, if not all the car is painted. Is that wrong?

Topic author
CraigMitche11

Post by CraigMitche11 »

So, I thought i'd post a follow up.

Firstly, do not waste money on Halfords 'paint match' service. It is amazingly bad. I had a bit of faith, so bought two cans with the correct paint code. Now, I know paint fades and pearl colours are hard to match, but this was ridiculous. It was just a completely different colour. Not even a blue, it was a purple, and looked so so bad! And being Halfords, no chance of returning either can, even the one never used. It's blooming expensive too!

I tried a few body shops, who just wanted to paint the car, and couldn't supply paint. And I spoke to a paint manufacturer who said they could mix it and supply it in a can, but not aerosol, so I'd need to buy a compressor etc.

I did find a great solution though. Ford Ink Blue (From the current model Focus etc) is almost exactly the same colour. By taking your time, and masking well to an edge, by the time its lacquered and buffed, it is the same colour.

Hope this helps someone else!

Topic author
cabbydave

Post by cabbydave »

Theres lots of different paint shades as the pigments change from manufacture to manufacture

Topic author
fingers99

Post by fingers99 »

CraigMitche11 wrote: F And I spoke to a paint manufacturer who said they could mix it and supply it in a can, but not aerosol, so I'd need to buy a compressor etc.
It will depend where you are, what's available. In Liverpool there are several "real" car paint suppliers who are happy to mix and put in aerosol (or sell you cans, chip repair kits), in cellulose (if you're a hobbyist), 2 pack, whatever you like.

But you were obscenely lucky to find a match from another manufacturer's range.

Forget Halfords -- no-one there has any real training, and they're just about all on minimum wage.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 9 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK1”