Electrical Problem

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 9 years and 8 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Watchman

Electrical Problem

Post by Watchman »

I had to put a new connector on the positive connection alternator cable today and when I started up to make sure it was charging the engine started ran for about 30 seconds then died when I revved it and all lights on the dash went out and now I have no power, the dash lights don't come on nothing. I've checked the battery which reads 12.56v and the fuses in the fuse box are all ok, is there a relay or fusible link somewhere I may of blown?
Any help appreciated.

chefey

Re: Electrical Problem

Post by chefey »

Have you checked to make sure your positive connection is ok, no broken wire inside, and that it is not earthing out. hy did you put new connection on, was the old one snapped< and was all working ok till then.
I see jimi is watching, he is your man to help.

Topic author
Watchman

Post by Watchman »

The wire had come out of the old connection and I couldn't get it back in, I've checked to see if it's earthing out and it's not, the engine did start then cut out and now there is not power to the electrics even though the battery has charge.

chefey

Post by chefey »

Which fuses did you check?

Topic author
Watchman

Post by Watchman »

All the fuses in the fuse box in the engine bay and all the fuses under the bonnet and all are ok.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

If you have no power to anything, lights, ignition, etc. then you have almost certainly blown the fusible link, see here for the location http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/know-your-2-know ... kbartid=25 If it is blown then before replacing it check to see why it blew, I'd be concerned about your alternator/connections as it seems to have blown after you repaired the connection ?
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
Watchman

Post by Watchman »

Thanks Jimi, it was that fusible link all I need now is the wire and connectors to replace it.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

:cool1:
Try Mr T he used to do a repair kit, failing that any decent auto electrician should be able to help you out.
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
Watchman

Post by Watchman »

I can get the bits from the workshop at work I just need the right amperage wire if they have some.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 9 years and 8 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK1”