rear calipers, what makes/models match?

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 9 years and 4 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Grunter

rear calipers, what makes/models match?

Post by Grunter »

Hi all, I am a very recent owner and struggling with a caliper that is looking more and more like it needs replacing. I have been through every possible version of caliper voodoo and the handbrake still wont work.

I am very eager to get this thing on the road and I only really have two days to come up with a replacement on a budget, so to help me with my search, what other cars are out there that will have a matching caliper that I can fit.
From looking at various adverts the early mk2 looks the same, but that could just be a stock photo??

Any pointers of what else will do the job greatfully received..

Topic author
Gaz!

Re: rear calipers, what makes/models match?

Post by Gaz! »

Just buy the big red seal overhaul kit and rebuild it. It will be seized.

Topic author
Grunter

Post by Grunter »

Thanks, Where is the best place to get that and is it available on next day delivery, I was looking at a replacement as it would save time if I could find one at a reasonable cost. I could do with the car on the road for this friday which is why I am rushing a bit..

Topic author
baileydom

Post by baileydom »

Google 'Big Redd'. You can buy a rebuild kit or just get a complete reconditioned Caliper. Or check eBay, there's a seller who will sell you one of a part exchange basis.

Topic author
Grunter

Post by Grunter »

thanks for the pointers.. Have trawled eblag for a cheap replacement to get me going for now and will get the rebuild kit to refresh mine when I have more time to do it.
I wish I had the funds to just replace with recon now and have done with it, but with it needing tyres, exhaust and a battery I am spreding the cash a little thin right now..

I wish I had taken a pic of it as I got it on Saturday night.. It was green then, it turns out it was white underneath all the slime..

SonicSW20
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by SonicSW20 »

Check your local motorfactors. When I lived in Stafford the motor factors there did a refurbed caliper on an exhange basis for about £70. Not found anywhere that comes close to that yet, but I don't live in Stafford anymore.
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 9 years and 4 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK1”