fairly serious problems

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 9 years and 3 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
sirRhodes

fairly serious problems

Post by sirRhodes »

Hi, I need quite a bit of help with my mr2 mk1.
Basically when starting it, it cranks fine but then when I release the key it sort of just bangs fairly loudly and slowly but then speeding up until it reaches idle speed and when its idling it sounds pretty bad (and the engine shakes quite a bit) and I can hear the occasional misfire, when I try to rev it, it slowly builds up revs, once it is revving a bit it will then rev fairly normally (builds revs quickly), I also looked at the rev counter and it was saying 2000 rpm but it sounded much much much higher than that.
Looking under the bonnet I have found about 3 wires that are not plugged in.
I have a reasonable idea what may be causing a few of these but not all of them so I need help recognizing what is normal, what is a problem and what is causing the problem.

Thanks for reading, I will be looking forward for some replies

peteV6R5
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 2

Re: fairly serious problems

Post by peteV6R5 »

sirRhodes wrote:Hi, I need quite a bit of help with my mr2 mk1.
Basically when starting it, it cranks fine but then when I release the key it sort of just bangs fairly loudly and slowly but then speeding up until it reaches idle speed and when its idling it sounds pretty bad (and the engine shakes quite a bit) and I can hear the occasional misfire, when I try to rev it, it slowly builds up revs, once it is revving a bit it will then rev fairly normally (builds revs quickly), I also looked at the rev counter and it was saying 2000 rpm but it sounded much much much higher than that.
Looking under the bonnet I have found about 3 wires that are not plugged in.
I have a reasonable idea what may be causing a few of these but not all of them so I need help recognizing what is normal, what is a problem and what is causing the problem.

Thanks for reading, I will be looking forward for some replies
Our resident mk1 expert Jimi will have some ideas I am sure.

It always helps to get some pics up if asking about identification.

trouble is it could be anything fuel pump / electrics HT leads / coil / idle control valve to name just a few items.
Highland Drive 13/14/15/17/18/19
JAE 07/09/10/11/12/13/14/15/16/17
Japfest 09/11/12/13/16/19
Wales runs 14/15/16/17/18

Topic author
sirRhodes

Post by sirRhodes »

ok, I shall look forward to his arrival then ;)
Sorry forgot to take pictures.
I literally just replaced HT leads and spark plugs as before it would barely rev with a very bad misfire and one of the leads didn't seem to fit in place properly.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

Are the plugs leads connected correctly ? ie in the correct order and have you checked the distributor cap and rotor arm condition ?
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

PaulWoods
Years of MR2 Ownership: 19
MR2's Owned: 28

Post by PaulWoods »

A bit of background info needed, what happened to cause this? Did the car break down and this is how it is running now? Or was it running fine and you changed something?

The more info you can give about events leading up to the problems the easier it will be to diagnose.
http://www.woodsport.org 0191 3770962 / 07951304712

Topic author
sirRhodes

Post by sirRhodes »

jimi wrote:Are the plugs leads connected correctly ? ie in the correct order and have you checked the distributor cap and rotor arm condition ?
I think so, I don't think it would've thought it would be absolutely dreadfull if they were mixed up, I put them on in the same order as they came off.
Ok, what should I be looking for?

Topic author
sirRhodes

Post by sirRhodes »

PaulWoods wrote:A bit of background info needed, what happened to cause this? Did the car break down and this is how it is running now? Or was it running fine and you changed something?

The more info you can give about events leading up to the problems the easier it will be to diagnose.
Yeah thats the problem, it's a project car that I've had for a few months now and it hadn't been started for a few years apparently, I could ask the guy I bought it off for any problems he noticed if that would help.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 9 years and 3 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK1”