Alternator problems + boot lid stuck

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 9 years and 2 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
sirRhodes

Alternator problems + boot lid stuck

Post by sirRhodes »

Hi, I have a few problems with my mk1b
Basically the main one is that it seems the alternator does not charge the battery when it is idling, you can watch the voltage of the battery slowly drop on a multimeter but when I get the revs beyond about 2000rpm (not sure as I cannot see the rev counter from behind the car) does the battery voltage go up to about 12.4V+, I'm guessing the alternator is dead.
Also would the low battery voltage make it struggle to rev, when the battery was at low volts it was idling down at 500rpm (started around 1000rpm) and i have to pump the throttle slightly to build the revs up but once the battery is at a good voltage it revs very easily (and sounds dam good).

With the boot lock the key won't turn it (and the key is starting to crack so I don't dare force it more) I've also tried using the cable inside the car but it doesn't open it, at the moment it isn't properly closed if that makes sense, so you can't open it fully but you can pull it up a few mm.

Topic author
suchafunkymonkey

Re: Alternator problems + boot lid stuck

Post by suchafunkymonkey »

Firstly, the mk1 will initially idle higher and then drop when the engine heats up.

If your alternator isn't charging the battery unless your revving the engine then it sounds like its seizing up. It's better to replace it now rather than wait until it seizes completely or snaps the belt. Replacing is easy enough, you need to loosen the tension bolt so you can get the belt off and then from under the car, undo the pivot bolt and remove the alternator.

Fitting is the reverse, but make sure you have the required tension on the belt before tightening up the tension bolt.

As for the boot lock, take one flat head screwdriver and insert it in to the lock. Apply some encouragement with a mallet to force it in and then turn the screwdriver to unlock it. Buy a replacement lock and fit it.
If it doesn't open using the cable then either the lock is seized or the cable has come off the back of the lock.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

If the battery is bad then the alternator may struggle to raise the voltage and charge it. Disconnect the battery and put it on charge for at least 12 hours, then disconnect the charger, check the voltage across the battery should be around 13.5V (if lower the battery is probably goosed). While charging the battery slacken off the alternator belt and may sure the alternator is free to turn by hand (should turn easily) if not then you need to look at the alternator.
Once the battery is charged then try the car again. With a fully charged battery and the engine running put your voltmeter across the battery and see what voltage you are getting , should be at least 14.2 volts at idle if not try increasing the rpm to 2000 if you still aren't getting over 14v then the alternator is probably U/S.
You need to sort out he charging problems first before worrying about the idle problems.
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

Is the key slot on the boot lock vertical or horizontal ? If it's horizontal then the boot s deadlocked and won't open from the lever inside the car Are you using the correct key ?
MK1's came with 2 keys, a master key and a valet key. The valet key will open the doors and work the ignition BUT will not open the glove box or boot if they are deadlocked. test the key in the glove box lock, if it turns the lock clockwise, key slot from vertical to horizontal that deadlocks it and the key is a master.
The boot lock is the opposite, turn it anticlockwise from vertical to horizontal to deadlock it and clockwise to vertical to take the deadlock off, another 45 degrees to open it.

Topic author
sirRhodes

Post by sirRhodes »

Cheers
Jimi, I've just got a new battery and a reconditioned alternator so that is sorted, it only came with one key but it does lock the glovebox so it is the main one, the key slot is currently vertical and it ever so slightly turns clockwise but not enough and I can't force it anymore as the key is already partly snapped from it.
Suchafunkmonkey, don't really like the idea of breaking into my own car XD but if thats the last method then I guess I'll have to :sad:

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

First move ... get another key cut ;) The try squirting WD40 into the lock barrel (hold the cover open with a small screw driver so it gets right inside. Then trying to unlock it but don't force it jiggle the key about while trying it, may take while but they usually go eventually.Might even be worth trying to turn it anticlockwise to see if it moves easily, if it does then it might be the mechanism that is jammed. You said it was partially open ? have you tried closing it fully then reopening ?

Topic author
sirRhodes

Post by sirRhodes »

I have had a key cut thats on its way out too
Basically when i got it it wouldn't close and lock, with some brute force it now locks but won't unlock
Yeah I've tried closing it down a bit more but it doesn't make a difference.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 9 years and 2 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK1”