Should I refresh suspension? If so, what?

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Bennet

Should I refresh suspension? If so, what?

Post by Bennet »

Hi there,

I'm looking for some advice on what components I should consider replacing in order to get my mk1 to drive as would have when new.

It's a mk1A, near mint, with 40,000 miles.

It doesn't quite feel "right" to me at the moment. It doesn't feel very stable at motorway speeds, and not very planted in general. Perhaps this is just the nature of mk1 MR2s though... I have never driven another one for comparison.

I've been recommended a four wheel alignment. Before I get this done, should I consider replacing any bushes, or anything else? Knowing the history of the car, it's very likely it still has all the original parts. I asked at a trusted local garage about the benefits of replacing the springs or shock absorbers but they said there's nothing wrong with the old ones.

I do not want to lower the car or decrease the quality of the ride. The low mileage makes me hesitate to rush in to replacing components that may yet have a lot of life left in them.

Any input would be welcome.

Thanks.

Protok
Years of MR2 Ownership: 11
MR2's Owned: 4

Re: Should I refresh suspension? If so, what?

Post by Protok »

4 wheel alignment first, they can usually find out what's not working right and what is worn out.
Red "Iron Guts" Protok
JAE '11 Food Eating Contest Champion
JAE '12 Food Eating Contest Champion
JAE '13 Food Eating Contest Runner-up
JAE '14 Food Eating Contest Champion

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

If all the bushes, springs and dampers are in good condition then leave them alone. A Mk1 is generally very "planted" can be a bit twitchy in very strong crosswinds and a bit "floaty" at the front once you are into treble figure speeds. Definitely get a proper 4 wheel laser alignment done. What tyres / pressures are you running ?
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
Bennet

Post by Bennet »

jimi wrote:What tyres / pressures are you running ?
I can't actually remember what the tyres are, other than in the vaguest terms. The car has been in storage for a couple of years and I've only just got it back out. They're mid range good years. "Touring" something, I think.

They are the ones that came on the mk3 alloys that I'm running. Plenty of tread. Around 30 PSI.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

Bennet wrote: They are the ones that came on the mk3 alloys that I'm running. Plenty of tread. Around 30 PSI.
Which MK3 wheels i.e. 15" all round or 15" front 16" rear ? either way do they still have the MK3 sized tyres fitted ? if so that's your problem, the handling will be absolutely horrible if you still have the MK3 sizes 185 x 55 x 15 Front. 205 x 50 x 15 Rear.
The best size to run with MK3 wheels on a MK1 is 195 x 50 x15 all round, that's what I have had for the last 10 years and the car is well "planted" :D

Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
Bennet

Post by Bennet »

They are different sizes front to rear, as I recall. I'll switch back and see if it makes a difference. Many thanks for your input. :)

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK1”