a few niggles.

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
adamstanford

a few niggles.

Post by adamstanford »

Hello, i recently bought my mk1b and i am pretty pleased with it all in. However i have a couple niggles i hope i can get some help with.

#1 lighter doesnt work.
The cigarette lighter has no power it seems. Fuse is okay but its just dead. Wont light the lighter or work with any plug in

#2 stereo wiring is shocking
I bought the car with 1 working speaker. So i bought some uprated sony ones to fit in the holes, speaker on the drivers side dash has a v. Poor earth. Once i joined the earth up properly the speaker worked so i had 2. But i also had a horrific screeching noise which got louder when more electrics were used i.e. headlights.

so i pulled the stereo and its wiring adapter and some plank had badly (and i mean badly) stuck some weird blue wires (look like amp wires) inbetween the original ones. Like theyd cut them in half for no reason, im assuming this is the issue however car electrics arent my forté.. anyone recommend a decent auto electrician in the northamptonshire area who can sort this out for me?

#3 wheel refurb.
Mine are the original alloys and arent in bad condition atall (mk1b teardrops) but i will be giving them a rubdown and a lick of paint due to bubbling, the little insert bit near each hole, is it supposed to be black or silver? And would black look rubbish if not? I wish to give them a bit of character but i dont want to detract too much from its original look.

#4 bulb types.
What bulbs are used in the mk1b? All round the exterior, id like a link to a list etc if possible.

Any help on some or all of my troubles would be massively appreciated

Thanks
Adam

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: a few niggles.

Post by jimi »

#1. all you can do is trace the wiring back towards the fuse with a voltmeter. First step, remove the centre console and check at the back of the socket to see if you have voltage there, it may just be a duff socket.

#2. What earth at the speakers ? they should have 2 wires that go all the way back to the stereo.
Front left should have a pink and a violet
Front right should have a green and a blue.
1b also has 2 rear speakers (top corners behind your head) although they aren't great, too small.
See KY2 for the plug wiring http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/know-your-2-know ... kbartid=78

#3. the inset on standard teardrops is a dark grey colour, unfortunately no one seems to know for certain the code for it. I have heard it's 167(Gray metallic)
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
adamstanford

Post by adamstanford »

Thanks jimi ill check out the socket itself didnt think of that!

And by earth i meant negative wire, it had been a long day when i typed those ramblings haha.
Thanks again, yeah ive spotted and read that the rear speakers arent really worth doing so id just be happy with the 2 working ones up front.

Topic author
adamstanford

Post by adamstanford »

As for the paint code ill be happy with something thats 90% close. Ive a good eye for matching and may be able to find a paint thats almost a match! Cheers

SonicSW20
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by SonicSW20 »

I'd run new speaker wires, forget the OEM stuff.

If the noise is related to electrical load, then it is almost certainly a grounding issue. No point chasing that until you sort the wiring behind the stereo though.

Can you take a photo of it and post? Where have the actually cut it?
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

Topic author
adamstanford

Post by adamstanford »

Here is a pic Image

is this saveable? How much would it cost to have new wires put in?

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

Looks like someone has cut off the standard Toyota connector and put in an ISO connector ...... very badly :no:
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
adamstanford

Post by adamstanford »

Yeah an auto electrician in wellingborough told me he can sort all the joints properly for about £40.. seems reasonable

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK1”