Another wave of running problems

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: Another wave of running problems

Post by jimi »

If the clicking is only there when starting from cold and goes away once the engine has warmed up (5-10 mins) then in all likelihood it's the injectors.
Mine has done it for years and it's never got any better/worse. Hasn't caused me any problems so far. I suspect that getting the injectors professionally refurbished would make it go away. Keep meaning to get mine done, just never seem to get round to it :blush:

Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

sirRhodes wrote:oops, there is something on one of the intake pipes that looked like an air flow sensor, underneath that big black box (don't know what that is either).
The black box is a resonator, which is supposed to help quieten the intake noise. I (and many others) removed it years ago with no ill effects at all. It's removal does improve the look of the engine bay

Is this what you are seeing under the resonator box, with the plug on top and 2 red pipes going to it ?

If so then it's the Idle-up VSV. It's a solenoid valve that lets extra air past the throttle butterfly when any heavy electrical load is switched on (at idle) this raises the engine idle speed to stop the engine stalling due to the increased alternator load. It's activated by switching on any of these
Lights
Heater blower
Heated rear screen
Brake lights
Easy to check if it's working, with the car idling normally and all the above off, put your foot on the brakes you should see the idle increase by about 200rpm.

If it's not that and has a green plug, then it's the IAT (Intake Air Temperature) sensor you can see it in the top picture
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
sirRhodes

Post by sirRhodes »

Ah yes its the IAT I am looking at, thanks for letting me know what these are.

No it only starts clicking later on when the engine is warm.

Do you have any idea of what the reluctancy to rev might be?

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK1”