European vs US MK1 front strut mounts?

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 10 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
1986MKI

European vs US MK1 front strut mounts?

Post by 1986MKI »

Hi, I own a US spec MK1 and had ordered the only available front strut mounts from RockAuto. When they arrived, I discovered that they do not fit and look identical to the MK2 mounts here in the US. My question is whether the US MK1 and UK MK1 mounts are the same or does the UK version use the same type of mount as the MK2? Here are some pictures of an old mount next to the brand new mount from RockAuto:

Topic author
Picaro

Re: European vs US MK1 front strut mounts?

Post by Picaro »

Rock Auto's listing is screwed up. That is definitely not a MKI top mount. All MKI top mounts are the same worldwide. The only difference there has ever been is for the front ones on the MKIa and MKIb, and even then it was only one stud. You could, however, always remove the extra stud on a MKIb top mount and use it on a MKIa, or you could just drill an extra hole for it in the chassis.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

Picaro is correct, MK1 topmounts are the same worldwide. The mount on the right (top pic) is not a MK1 mount, here's mine
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
baileydom

Post by baileydom »

That is definately a mk2 top mount.

Topic author
1986MKI

Post by 1986MKI »

Thanks! I'm returning them to RockAuto and I will let them know that their catalog is wrong.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 10 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK1”