High Idle

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Picaro

Re: High Idle

Post by Picaro »

Sounds pretty normal. A 2/3's reading is about right under normal operating rpms and temps. 1/4 reading is fine for warmed up idling. That's generally where all mine have read when operating correctly.

Topic author
adamstanford

Post by adamstanford »

Thanks picaro, one thing that did have me worried! No outward signs of any issues though still starts up and runs great and is still a special little thing to drive

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

Personally I'd say that a 5w/40 is a bit thin for the UK, 10w/40 or 15w/40 is recommended. I also think using a fully synthetic in a 25 year old engine that was designed for mineral oil is a waste of money.
I've been using Castrol Magnatec 10w40 (which is a part synthetic) for years and never had any problems, oil pressure is just under a half at idle and around 2/3 - 3/4 on the move :)
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
adamstanford

Post by adamstanford »

This was left over oil from the corolla. Ill get some castrol in it on its next change i thought id be ok as it was still 40 weight but ill use the other next time. Im a 4k kinda guy anyway so oil doesnt stay in the car long. Thanks!

Topic author
adamstanford

Post by adamstanford »

While i have you mk1'ers and your great advice, what do you think to this rad? http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 10&alt=web

Suitable? Not much more than an o.e. one and i need a new one soon.

Topic author
adamstanford

Post by adamstanford »

Paint question! Havent even looked for the paint code as im at work, but is the paint for an 89 (red) easy to get? I.e. wilco, halfords, interwebs etc. Or is it a toyota job?

Thanks

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

Paint code is 3E5 (Super Red) I wouldn't bother with Halfords, I've never seen 3E5 from there that matched any MK1. I'd go to a proper paint supplier, many of them can mix the paint for you and supply it in aerosols
Can't comment on the rad as I can't see eBay my work blocks it :no:

Topic author
adamstanford

Post by adamstanford »

It is a high-per 2 row 34mm PRO aluminium radiator

£109
Thanks for the paint code! :)

Topic author
adamstanford

Post by adamstanford »

Another quick q for you whilst im shopping. What is the correct battery size for the mk1? Thanks

Topic author
adamstanford

Post by adamstanford »

Anyone know this please? I think its the 005 but the one in the car is not. Its smaller

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

005 is correct, but any 60AH (or better) battery that will fit in the tray and has the correct size/type terminals on the correct side of the battery will do. All motor factors / Halfrauds etc. have selection charts that will tell you what will fit.

Topic author
adamstanford

Post by adamstanford »

Okay thats cool thanks. Thing that strikes me about the 005 is that theyre mega heavy. So was looking to change this.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

Calcium batteries are a fair bit smaller & lighter for the same capacity as a standard lead/acid battery.

Topic author
adamstanford

Post by adamstanford »

Title should be changed to adams many questions! But which coolant is most appropriate for the mk1? Preferably not toyota as id like to just pick some up from local motorfactors.. thanks

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK1”