Gen 7 Celica Seats in a MK1

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 10 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
suchafunkymonkey

Gen 7 Celica Seats in a MK1

Post by suchafunkymonkey »

As I've just finished this mod, I thought I'd share it.

I've fitted leather seats from a Gen 7 Celica (2001+) in to my MK1.
Thanks to Jimi's guide for the MK3->MK1 seat conversion, I had something comparable to use as a guide and then modified it to work with the Celica seats. The base of the Celica seat can be unbolted, which makes measuring and welding a lot easier.
Other than a bolt at each side on the front, I welded my brackets on. There is no chance of getting a bolt through the rear brackets as the gap in the rail is just too tight.

The Celica seats are wider than the original seats and only just fit, but are very comfortable.

The Celica seats seem to be more widely available than the MK3s, with there being plenty in breakers yards. I picked up mine for €50. There were some seats from a MK3, but they were red fabric and I preferred the leather.
I was going to change the colour of the leather, but now that they're in the car, I kind of like them as they are. I still need to apply the leather restorer as there are some cracks that need attention.

Celica Seats:

Original Seats (in less than showroom condition):

adamstanford

Re: Gen 7 Celica Seats in a MK1

Post by adamstanford »

Theyre pretty snazzy man! Do you still get the infinite adjustability that you do in the mk1?

Topic author
suchafunkymonkey

Post by suchafunkymonkey »

You get at least the same amount of adjustment as with the MK1, plus the seats are lower so there is more headroom.

PaulWoods
Years of MR2 Ownership: 19
MR2's Owned: 28

Post by PaulWoods »

Try Mk2 seats as a nice easy upgrade.... 3 of the 4 bolts line straight up, no welding to do, and the 4th bolt just needs redrilling and some good body washers, for that OEM look Mk1 headrests even fit Mk2 seats.
http://www.woodsport.org 0191 3770962 / 07951304712

adamstanford

Post by adamstanford »

Worth a look thanks paulwoods. Dont need the extra headroom, im vertically challenged haha

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 10 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK1”