Engine won't start / diagnostic reader

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
DriverD599

Engine won't start / diagnostic reader

Post by DriverD599 »

Hey I need some help, have an '88 MR2 supercharged that's sat for a few years just refilled all the fluids and replaced battery, it tries to turn over but will only run with carb cleaner being sprayed into the intake.. Any thoughts? Also if anyone knows a good diagnostic reader for the computer that'd be helpful. Thanks.

Topic author
chefey

Re: Engine won't start / diagnostic reader

Post by chefey »

If it runs on carb cleaner, then problem will likely be fuel related rather than spark related.
Check fuel pump fuse is ok, can you hear fuel pump running when starter is turned.
You can check for error codes, this link tells you how to do it, mk 1 and 2`s are just OBD, no aftermarket readers.
Can`t find the Mk 1 code checks, but if you download the BGB from the link, it willl tell you in there.
http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/know-your-2-know ... kbartid=23

If Jimi picks up on this he will advise you better than I can. :)

Topic author
chefey

Post by chefey »

Forgot the obvious, how old is the petrol in the tank, it may have gone off f it is a few years since it was last started.

thosb10
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by thosb10 »

Past experiences would have me removing the fuel pipe from the engine side of the fuel filter to see if fuel flowed out as filters can clog up and disrupt fuel flow, if it does not flow remove filter to a certain whether fuel flows from the tank. Then a quick jag of the ignition to see if pump did pump fuel.
Vehicles are just like a giant Meccano set and should not be feared, but respected

Topic author
DriverD599

Post by DriverD599 »

chefey wrote:If it runs on carb cleaner, then problem will likely be fuel related rather than spark related.
Check fuel pump fuse is ok, can you hear fuel pump running when starter is turned.
I checked the fuse and the EFI fuse was blown however after I replaced it it was still not starting. And as for the gas I was sure the tank was empty while it sat but I'll pull it out and clean it when I replace the fuel pump, thanks.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

MK1's aren't OBD compliant so code readers don't work with them. :no:
This article http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/know-your-2-know ... kbartid=61 explains how to read the codes it's for a UK NA so the codes do not apply but the technique is the same. Here's the SC codes
1989 BGB 206.jpg
1989 BGB 207.jpg
As above it sounds very like a fuel problem, worth checking for error codes first.
Easy enough to check if your getting fuel to the rail. Switch the ignition on and bridge terminals +B and Fp on the check connector, slacken fuel feed pipe at the banjo fitting on the rail and you should get fuel coming out (put a rag round it to stop fuel spraying everywhere) If there's no fuel there then repeat the test either side of the fuel filter. You may be able to hear the pump running and fuel returning to the tank.
Don't try starting the car with the link in.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK1”