Confusing spark problem

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 10 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
guymalpass

Confusing spark problem

Post by guymalpass »

Hi,
I hadn't driven my MR2 for about a year and when I came to start it up all it would do was turn over. The odd thing is if I leave it for a few hours and try again it will start up for a few seconds but it sounds rough and then dies. After that there is no spark unless I leave it for a few more hours.

I have replaced the coil and igniter and tested the HT leads and signal generators according to the BGB. The fact that will occasionally start up briefly also leads me to believe they are probably fine.

So I'm starting to think maybe its the ECU? I also tried to see if there were any diagnostic codes my jumping T and E1 but the engine light just stays on constantly. Is that a symptom of bad ecu?

Many thanks,
Guy

Torero
Years of MR2 Ownership: 7
MR2's Owned: 2

Re: Confusing spark problem

Post by Torero »

I don't mean to make you sound like a noob but is there a fuel supply to the injectors?

Anything in particular that makes you think it's an electrical issue.

MRPagey
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0

Post by MRPagey »

When you say no spark, how are you testing for spark?
You've checked the HT leads, does that include the king lead that goes from the ignitor to the dizzy cap?
Have you checked inside the dizzy cap to make sure the contacts are good and not covered in white deposit? Is the rotor arm alright?
Does the car have an aftermarket immobiliser or ECU?

mickybo

Post by mickybo »

have you used fresh petrol or are you using the petrol that was left in it 2 years ago?

Topic author
guymalpass

Post by guymalpass »

Thanks for the replies, I have a spark tester that flashes. On the odd occasion the engine starts then sure enough the tester flashes but after it dies then no spark. Yes I pulled the dizzy cap off and cleaned up the rotor and contacts. To eliminate dizzy problems I even tried to get a spark directly from the coil to ground (I know you shouldn't do this really) and nothing. Yes in fairness its the same fuel that's been sat around, if its still a problem when I get the spark sorted I'll drain and replace.

Topic author
guymalpass

Post by guymalpass »

Forgot to mention- also checked the king lead according to BGB and jumped the Fp terminal in the diagnostic port so the fuel pump constantly runs to eliminate relay problems. I haven't checked the injectors, how could i tell if they were good or not?

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by MR2DI4 »

More likely bad fuel or even more likely the fuel pump has packed a sad.

Short the B+ and the FP+ in the diagnostic box and check if the fuel pump is running. You can check by squeezing the fuel return line to feel the vibration or if you have good ears you may be able to hear the pump in the gear shift area of the centre console.

The battery would be stuffed if you left it a year without charging it or running the car.

Topic author
guymalpass

Post by guymalpass »

Yes I have tried shorting the FP and B terminals and there is fuel going down the return line. I stored the battery separately so its in good shape. If the fuel was bad does that explain the spark problem?

mickybo

Post by mickybo »

I had similar symptoms about 3 months ago, turned out my battery was dead, changed it viola, all good. I even jump started it left barely running kept wanting to cut out unless I kept my foot on the throttle, had no power wouldn't even rev.

adamstanford

Post by adamstanford »

batteries still lose charge when not connected to anything and a used battery might be even more so. How old is it?

Topic author
guymalpass

Post by guymalpass »

The battery is about 18 months old, Odyssey AGM type. Freshly charged with a CTEK charger for AGM batteries, I'll have a hunt around for another battery though and give it a try!

MRPagey
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0

Post by MRPagey »

Isn't the little green relay in the boot, bolted to the wall next to the ECU something to do with the spark?

dawesy
Years of MR2 Ownership: 1

Post by dawesy »

Nope [emoji20]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18

Post by jimi »

Bearing in mind that it's a MK1 ;)

To go back the the OP's first post, I'd be concerned that you can't get the ECU into diagnostic mode. I'd be trying it again, make sure you have a good connection to E1 and T, the check connector sockets can get a bit corroded, give them a clean up. Are you sing the correct method ? http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/know-your-2-know ... kbartid=61
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 10 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK1”