Odometer not keeping up

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
NornIronMr2

Odometer not keeping up

Post by NornIronMr2 »

Hi all

First proper post here, so hello :D

Had my '89 mk1 for about 2 months now and have noticed the odometer isn't reading miles correctly.

I've checked using the trip against the main mileage count and the trip seems to work fine, whereas the main odometer only seems to go round very slowly and count 1 mile in every 4 or so on average. For example, I've covered roughly 1000 miles since I've owned the car, but the mileage has only went up by around 200 miles.

The car is currently running on 17" wheels which I imagine would have an impact on speed and mileage rating but surely not to this extent. I plan on going back down to 14" wheels at some point and hope this makes a difference but I suspect there's a more significant influence.

Any suggestions as to the cause of this, am I looking at a worn component or foul play by a previous owner? Ideally I need to fix this soon to stop the odometer straying too far from the cars true mileage but I have no idea how long it has been going on for with the last owner.

Chris

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK1”