ignition timing

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 7 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
sirRhodes

ignition timing

Post by sirRhodes »

Hi guys I am going to adjust my ignition timing, I have found a write up on how to do it and it says to short out terminals e1 and T in the diagnostic box, what does this actually do and is it essential that I do it?

Cheers in advance

Topic author
sirRhodes

Re: ignition timing

Post by sirRhodes »

Oh and since I don't have a timing light is it possible to do it by ear? I think it needs advancing but then is it possible to get it bang on without a timing light?

GazRev1Tubby
Years of MR2 Ownership: 8
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by GazRev1Tubby »

Bridging out the terminals in the diagnostics port, puts the car into 'static timing' mode, where the ecu won't try to correct the ignition timing.
No, it's not possible to do by ear. A timing light is only £20
1996 BPU Supra TT ;)
The deuce will surely be missed, until the second turbo comes online :th:

Topic author
sirRhodes

Post by sirRhodes »

Thanks for the reply.
oh ok, so why doesn't the ecu correct it now if since the timing is out now?
Ok fair enough

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18

Post by jimi »

If you don't have a timing light to check it, what makes you think it's wrong ?

The ECU (normal active mode) alters the timing in response to the inputs from various sensors TPS, Distributor, Temperature, MAP sensor, etc using preprogrammed maps.
It needs an accurate baseline to work from, which is why you link T & E1 (to put it in static mode) and then set the timing to 10° BTDC at idle, to do this accurately you need a timing light. You then take the link out and recheck the timing with the light, it should be 16° BTDC (or more) at idle.
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
sirRhodes

Post by sirRhodes »

well because pretty much all the symptoms that my car has point towards ignition timing (among other things)
So if one of those components is knackered that could throw off the ignition timing?
Soooo would I be right in saying if it is less than 16 BTDC when the link is taken out then there may be a problem with one of those components that the ECU uses to alter the ignition timing?

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

sirRhodes wrote: So if one of those components is knackered that could throw off the ignition timing?
Yes
sirRhodes wrote: Soooo would I be right in saying if it is less than 16 BTDC when the link is taken out then there may be a problem with one of those components that the ECU uses to alter the ignition timing?
If the timing is set to 10° with the link in and then does not show 16° (or greater) with the link removed then yes it could be a faulty sensor (or ECU) causing the problem. Have you checked for stored error codes ?

Topic author
sirRhodes

Post by sirRhodes »

Alrightn fair enough, cheers

I will give that a go when I can
I haven't yet, will I check that by shorting out the diagnostic terminals? If so which one

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 7 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK1”