Help to source anti-roll bar?

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 8 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Guyc

Help to source anti-roll bar?

Post by Guyc »

All

I an trying to locate both a front (20mm) and a rear (18mm) anti-roll / sway bar with bushings etc from Whteline for a Mk1b AW11 1989. The rears are still available new but the fronts have been discontinued. The manufacturers part number for the front bar is BTF20Z. Does anyone know where I might be able to source one of these bars from, maybe purchased new and never fitted or NOS sat on a distributers shelf somewhere? I have contacted several distrubuters so far, but no luck.

Many thanks in advance.

Watchman

Re: Help to source anti-roll bar?

Post by Watchman »

Sorry for the late reply if you haven't already found one try here.
http://www.mr2mk1toyotaspares.com/#!pro ... 660c60a7a5

Topic author
Guyc

Post by Guyc »

Thanks for the lead - I have asked but they only have original spec bars available, none of the aftermarket ones.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

General consensus of opinion among MK1 owners is that the standard front 18mm ARB is thick enough, but the rear needs upgraded to 18 mm.
A cheap rear upgrade is to use a MR2 MK2 Turbo (rev 1 or 2) ARB (IIRC 19mm) with MK1 front ARB brackets and 19mm bushes, I believe it's virtually a straight fit just needs a very slight elongation of the MK1 bracket holes ;)
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
Guyc

Post by Guyc »

Thank you for that insight. I had read that as the MR2 is mid-engined the front bar needs to be bigger than the rear to stop the rear steppng out (as opposed to a front engined car where the rear needs to be bigger) - not sure of the physics behind that.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 8 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK1”