Mk1 restoration project

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 7 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
lilgampla

Mk1 restoration project

Post by lilgampla »

I'm thinking about restoring a Mk1 mr2 a friend had one for £100 but it needs alot doing to it if I could find one what sort price would I be looking at once restored and cost of parts?

adamstanford

Re: Mk1 restoration project

Post by adamstanford »

This isn't something anyone can answer really. If it's just basic service items
Bushes radiator clutch Cambelt could be hundreds and if it needs major surgery could run you into the thousands. Sky's the limit really. Parts costs tend to be not too bad,some bits harder to find than others.

Without examining the car you won't have any idea and even once bought there's always a hidden treat here and there waiting for you. I thought mine was a minter. When it turned out that it had a great foundation (the shell) but literally every part bolted to it was bodged in one way or another and I'm a good £700 in parts. And mine still has bits here and there I'd like to sort. Mines a daily though and I cover thousands of miles

Mind you for £100 for any running mr2 aw11 I'd be pretty happy. Be it your future track car or your future daily. You can't really not have fun for that money. And if you decide that it isn't for you. Bring it to mine and I'll give you £100 for it any day of the week.

Topic author
lilgampla

Post by lilgampla »

adamstanford wrote:This isn't something anyone can answer really. If it's just basic service items
Bushes radiator clutch Cambelt could be hundreds and if it needs major surgery could run you into the thousands. Sky's the limit really. Parts costs tend to be not too bad,some bits harder to find than others.

Without examining the car you won't have any idea and even once bought there's always a hidden treat here and there waiting for you. I thought mine was a minter. When it turned out that it had a great foundation (the shell) but literally every part bolted to it was bodged in one way or another and I'm a good £700 in parts. And mine still has bits here and there I'd like to sort. Mines a daily though and I cover thousands of miles

Mind you for £100 for any running mr2 aw11 I'd be pretty happy. Be it your future track car or your future daily. You can't really not have fun for that money. And if you decide that it isn't for you. Bring it to mine and I'll give you £100 for it any day of the week.
I'm just looking at making it a combo something that I can use on road but something with enough power that I could take to track

adamstanford

Post by adamstanford »

Well.. Still as above then. Do you have any pics of the car?

d-peg
Years of MR2 Ownership: 13
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by d-peg »

There are common rust points on a mk1 - the rear corners, front ARB mounts, and so on. If you have the time, skills, resources, inclination and energy they are worth tackling …. BUT be prepared to part with a great deal of cash to do the job properly.

As with cars of this nature, now, the rebuild costs do not justify the end value… but that said, they're steadily increasing in value ;)
92 JDM Turbo - V8 Project Car - LINK
93 UK N/A - V6 SC Project Car - LINK
00 mk3 2zz - Driven Daily :D - LINK
It's not a party till I get my bum out

adamstanford

Post by adamstanford »

They certainly are and I'd rather spend a hundred or two on some bodywork as opposed to the same amount on fixing "x" amount of warning lights on a new car..

Topic author
lilgampla

Post by lilgampla »

d-peg wrote:There are common rust points on a mk1 - the rear corners, front ARB mounts, and so on. If you have the time, skills, resources, inclination and energy they are worth tackling …. BUT be prepared to part with a great deal of cash to do the job properly.

As with cars of this nature, now, the rebuild costs do not justify the end value… but that said, they're steadily increasing in value ;)
How hard can it be front end are screwed on but I'm more worried about getting body parts

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

Read and digest, probably the best NK1 buyers guide going, it stood me in good stead when I was looking for a MK1 and it's use led me to buy mine :th: )
Nick Challoner's MK1 Buyers Guide
As already mentioned, some parts are now discontinued by Mr T and are getting very hard to find :sad:
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

adamstanford

Post by adamstanford »

Most body parts (for me at least) I'd just get from a breaker. There are plenty out there being broken. I recently sold a pair of fibreglass wings in red for only £45 iirc.. Not for me as I wanted to keep original and I wasn't impressed with the finish. But that's another matter. Point being just get decent 2nd hand ones. And recondition/repaint what you need to.

Topic author
lilgampla

Post by lilgampla »

If all goes well I'm planning on no rust and maybe a full body respray

headcase
Years of MR2 Ownership: 2
MR2's Owned: 4

Post by headcase »

I got a complete front end doors boot ,well everything apart from rear wings ,if you need anything

Sent from my ASUS_T00G using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 7 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK1”