How could I find my father's MR2?

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 7 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Saguaro

How could I find my father's MR2?

Post by Saguaro »

Dear All, my Dad bought his first MR2 brand new when they came out, I think this was 1985, and I remember walking out of school and seeing him standing next to it, wow, that will always stay with me. It was dark green over gold skirt. He sold it only a couple of years later sadly. My Dad died two years ago, and I would so love to find his old car. I tried Toyota UK but they weren't much help. I don't know the reg unfortunately. I've looked through my Mum's old photos but other than a side shot, no luck.

I'd really appreciate any suggestions about where to try next. Would DVLA hold any info and release it?

Thank you

Topic author
baileydom

Re: How could I find my father's MR2?

Post by baileydom »

Without the reg it will be very difficult. First step would be to check the plate and see if the car has been taxed or mot'd recently. If it hadnt then its probably no longer on the road. You could try dvla but they aren't likely to be particularly helpful and tbh id be surprised if they even kept a complete owners record for every car in the uk. Sorry.

Post the pic up though and see if anyone recognises it.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

That colour scheme is called Sherwood Toning and was only available on the early MK1's, it's fairly rare and there weren't many about new with that scheme, even less now I'm afraid.

Your going to struggle without the reg number, that's the only real way to identify it. :sad:
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

madbasshunter
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0
MR2's Owned: 10

Post by madbasshunter »

Topic author
Saguaro

Post by Saguaro »

Yes, saw that one, lovely. I will post the picture when I next see Mum, but don't live anywhere near her so it might take a while. I'll try DVLA and see what they say.

Topic author
jcurtis

Post by jcurtis »

If he brought it from new, wouldn't there be some sort of record with Toyota? Keep trying with them until you find someone helpful.....must be an archive of customers

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Topic author
Saguaro

Post by Saguaro »

Thank you jcurtis, I thought the same, and contacted Toyota a while back, they mentioned something about franchise, and investigating further, of course that place has closed now. I was just guessing where he bought it from though. I'd certainly have thought there'd be a record somewhere though. I'd love to find it, no matter what condition.

peteV6R5
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by peteV6R5 »

Was your Dad a hoarder?
What I mean did he keep stuff like old tax discs, old insurance document etc
I have got a few years worth on my old cars (last 20 on my PC as example).

Long shot as we are talking 30 plus years

good luck with search
Highland Drive 13/14/15/17/18/19
JAE 07/09/10/11/12/13/14/15/16/17
Japfest 09/11/12/13/16/19
Wales runs 14/15/16/17/18

Topic author
Saguaro

Post by Saguaro »

Thanks PeteV65R, yes, he did keep quiet a lot of stuff but not sure there's anything from the MR2 sadly. I will have a thorough look through, it's a good call, and I take after him so won't be throwing any of his stuff away! Thank you for the encouragement, I'll keep you posted on what I can find.

Topic author
Saguaro

Post by Saguaro »

Not got hold of any pictures yet, but am proud to say I have just bought my first MR2, Mk3 ( Dad had one of those from new too). 04 plate, and can't wait to pick it up. Will get a miniature replica of Dad's licence plate and mount it to the dash. (In case you're wandering, his Mk3 was in Az, so that's not a car I can have!).

Topic author
Saguaro

Post by Saguaro »

This is incredible, I just looked through my old journal from 1985, and found I'd written the plate number in the back! Searching on DVLA though brings up no car found!

Topic author
baileydom

Post by baileydom »

Glad you managed to make some progress, sorry the car is no longer around though. Not entirely surprising I'm afraid as a great many of the mr2s made are no more.

Congratulations on the purchase of your car though! :). Post in the introduce yourself section and get some pictures up :)

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 7 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK1”