No Power...

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 7 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Pob

No Power...

Post by Pob »

Hi all,

I've just got a '89 that's a bit of a project. It has been stood for about a year, so the battery is dead. I jumped it and all was well, blipped the throttle and it died. It couldn't be restarted due to the battery so I re-connected the jump leads to re start. This time it clicked, so I thought the jump leads weren't making a good connection. Re positioned them, nothing. No click, no dash lights.

Any ideas where I should start looking? I'm going to charge the battery tomorrow (Try to) I've got a horrible feeling the ECU is toast

Many thanks,
Dan

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: No Power...

Post by MR2DI4 »

You start with the same stuff with every engine. Fuel and spark.

A timing light is very handy to have, just clip it on the HT lead and away you go.

You can squeeze the fuel return line and feel for pressure, a fuel pressure gauge is very useful to have in the cabin or if you get 12V to the pump you can listen for it operating if you have good ears.

Its never going to run without both of these. Another cause is the cambelt goes. Some cars you can remove the oil filler cap and actually see the cams rotating, unfortunately on many cars you cannot see the cams.

First thing to fit is a new battery and make sure the terminals are clean. Check the earth to the chassis is good.

The ECU is probably the last thing I would be worried about.

Topic author
Pob

Post by Pob »

Thanks for the reply.

I checked the battery at work and it we as faulty and wouldn't take a charge. Got a battery that was kicking around at work, too small really but it will do for now.

Connected it up and it starts up fine now. The alternator is only giving out 11.4v and carnt keep up so the battery looses its charge. So looks like it either needs repairing or a new one... Does anyone know anywhere in Manchester that can repair it?

Thanks,
Dan

MR2DI4
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23

Post by MR2DI4 »

Fit a new battery and eliminate that as a possible cause of your problems. Batteries are a bit of a nightmare and are the cause of many problems, especially if the car is left for long periods without use. It may start up but the significant current to charge it, or continue to try and charge it because its stuffed can kill your old alternator. Always pays to connect a decent mains charger and bring the battery right back up to fully charged if the car has been left for even a couple of months.

pbmr2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 8
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by pbmr2 »

Get the alternator out and chuck it at one of these people, may as well change the belt while you are at it.
"Time is the true wealth, spend it well."

Rev4 T-bar gen4 swap
Rev4 Moonroof 3sge daily

Topic author
Pob

Post by Pob »

Thanks for all the replies. I've removed the alternator today and had a look. I'm going to need a replacement rather than refurbing it. The windings are damaged inside. What other car shared the same engine/alternator?

Thanks,
Dan

TonyleFrog
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by TonyleFrog »

Pob wrote:What other car shared the same engine/alternator?
The 4A-GE was also fitted to the contemporary AE92 Corolla.

Rather than faff around with that, contact Trevor at TCB.
http://www.tcbparts.co.uk/
Scroll to the bottom of the page.
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18

Post by jimi »

You have to be careful there were 2 different alternators (3 if you count the SC) fitted to the MK1 very early cars(84/85 IIRC) had a 60A alt, the rest had a 70A alt. Most places will try and sell you a 60A one when it should really be a 70A unit.
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

TonyleFrog
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by TonyleFrog »

jimi wrote: Most places will try and sell you a 60A one when it should really be a 70A unit.
In which case - 01579 383879 or e-mail: tcbtoyotaparts@hotmail.com
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

Topic author
Pob

Post by Pob »

Thanks for the advice, I finally got one that fits. Fohrenbuhl looks right but doesn't fit, got a Blue print 70amp. It didn't fit straight away, I had to grind the mounting bracket slightly as the alternator bottom mounting point must be very slightly bigger. Its on, not tested it but fingers crossed

I had a look at TCB and the one listed is coming back as a Electro Auto 60 amp unit...

Thanks again,
Dan

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 7 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK1”