Passenger Window Stuck

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 6 years and 5 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
RichieBUK

Passenger Window Stuck

Post by RichieBUK »

Hopefully someone will tell me there is a quick and easy fix for this...

So passenger side window won't roll down from drivers switch. Fuses all ok etc. So I thought I'd have a look at the switches starting with passenger side. Remarkably the passenger switch will roll down the window, but not back up again. So does this mean it's a faulty switch?

What tests can I do to figure out the problem? And what can I do to get the window back up again temporarily!!?

Thanks

shinny
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 6

Re: Passenger Window Stuck

Post by shinny »

Typically the fault is that someone has pressed the square lock button on the driver's side switches - that would disable all movement of the passenger window though, so there's something wrong here anyway. Still worth checking you're aware of the button and that you've checked that's not the problem.

Edit: Just realised this is a mk1 thread, not a mk2 thread. Not sure how much of the above applies to a mk1, but Jimi is already here to save the day :th:

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

Just to be clear, passengers window will go down but not up (from the passengers switch) and won't go down from the drivers side ? will it go up from the drivers side ?
The switches are connected in series so a faulty passengers switch could affect both. To get the window up remove the switch by prising up the plastic cover (at the BACK first) then unhook from the front, take the plug out and if you connect a battery positive to the red wire and a negative (ground) to the green wire the window should go up
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
RichieBUK

Post by RichieBUK »

Which green wire as I have 2 going into my plug? Also have checked the door switch and window lock

Topic author
RichieBUK

Post by RichieBUK »

Done. Thanks again Jimi. So it seems window is working but won't wind up... Thoughts?

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

It's the Green wire on pin 2, the plug should have 5 wires laid out like this
1 _ 2
3 4 5
where
1= Green
2= Green
3=Light Blue
4=Red
5=Red/Light Blue

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

If the motor is running and the window won't go up then there's every chance the plastic gear pinion has stripped a couple of teeth. Try getting someone to press the switch while you try pulling the window up (watch your fingers, although the motor should stall before it can do any serious damage to you)

benckj
Years of MR2 Ownership: 5

Post by benckj »

If it's anything like the SW20 the problem will be a broken wire in the drivers door loom at hinge point.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

Because of the way the MK1 circuit is wired if there was a broken wire then the window wouldn't work at all, it's not a broken wire in the drivers door.

benckj
Years of MR2 Ownership: 5

Post by benckj »

That's what I thought with the MK2 (SW20) but due to circuit going through drivers side control some funny things can happen. This is especially true when a wire is partially broken and cannot pass full motor current due to a high resistance. The other fault is a corroded and broken ground wire with loom. Link below if of any assistance.

http://stephenmason.com/cars/mr2doorwire.html

jim

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

RichieBUK wrote: 03/10/17 16:51 Done. Thanks again Jimi. So it seems window is working but won't wind up... Thoughts?
I might have misunderstood what you meant, did the window go up when you applied power and ground to the pins ? or did the motor run but the window didn't go up ?
If so then it could be various things, next thing to try would be plugging the passengers switch back in and lower the window a bit, then unplug the drivers switch (same removal process) your looking for pins 1(green) 3 (light blue) & 6 (red/light blue) on the plug
pins are like this
1 2 3 _ 4 _
6 7 8 9 _ _
Put a link between a good ground and pin 1 and a separate link between pin3 and pin 6.
the window should go up
Have a look at this article of mine in KY2 http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/know-your-2/mk1. ... kbartid=74 the first drawing in the article is the standard MK1 power window diagram, ignore the second it's modified.

Topic author
RichieBUK

Post by RichieBUK »

Sorry for confusion. After attaching the wires to the pins, the window rolled back up. But it won't work with the switch. Would that suggest that power is not getting through to the switch?

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

Could be either one or both switches faulty or the wiring, try the next step in my previous post, the results from that will help to narrow it down

Topic author
RichieBUK

Post by RichieBUK »

No luck there I'm afraid Jimi. No response from passenger window. Definitely power doing in to pin 3 as connecting to pin 8 will wind down the driver's window. Break in the connection between drivers door and passenger door maybe?

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 6 years and 5 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK1”