Installing an Aftermarket Alarm

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 6 years and 5 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
RichieBUK

Installing an Aftermarket Alarm

Post by RichieBUK »

Hey guys,

Hoping someone with some experience in this field may be able to help me here. I have bought an Aftermarket alarm which for the most part I have figured out. There are a couple of connections which I can't get my head around (from looking at the diagram) and some connections where I am unsure where to find the wires in the car. So...

I have attached the wiring diagram supplied (will attach once I've shrank the filesize!). The only functions I want are the remote central locking, the triggers from the boot/bonnet/engine bay, illuminated entry (car interior lamp), and the door triggering.

Central Locking
The kit comes with the block connector and 2 wires. Where is the best place to connect this to??

Triggers
The triggers for each are already in, courtesy of previous owner. I will use the existing wiring for these.

Illuminated Entry
I figure this is just a connection to the interior light circuit. It is keyed with (-)... What does this mean and which wire would I need to tap into?

Door Triggering
As the courtesy lights are negatively switched does that mean I have to use the green (side door triggering (-)) wire or purple (side door triggering (+)).

The other area of confusion for me is with the power side of the circuit.

Black > ground
Red > +12v constant source
White (remaining wire that isn't annotated) > hazards circuit
Yellow > ...

I understand I have to cut the ignition circuit between ignition barrel and coils and connect the two halves of the wires to 87 and 30 on the relay. 86 is connected back to the CPU by the orange wire. That leaves 85...

The circuit shows the yellow wire connecting directly to 85 but also looks like it branches to the ignition barrel. Does this make sense to this of you who have fitted alarms before? Or does it mean the yellow wire connects to the acc circuit in the barrel (using the barrel as a switch) before connecting to terminal 85?

I have tried Google but I'm afraid I don't understand the jargon that all the videos and walkthroughs use, (I also think I understand better actually looking at all the components in situ).

Sorry for such a long post, this is my first attempt at this and I thought you all would be the best source of information, especially on these cars.

Thanks in advance

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: Installing an Aftermarket Alarm

Post by jimi »

No diagram attached ?
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
RichieBUK

Post by RichieBUK »

Apologies, diagram now on
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

Sorry it needs to be a better quality scan / picture, when I zoom in it's all pixelated and unreadable.
This thread any help http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forums/40/164047 ... 2#p1738022
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
RichieBUK

Post by RichieBUK »

Didn't realise I'd made such a mess of hat one :facepalm:. This should be better?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
RichieBUK

Post by RichieBUK »

Anyone have experience with these?

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 6 years and 5 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK1”