Clutch squeak

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 1 week old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
arctichotspur
Years of MR2 Ownership: 1
MR2's Owned: 1

Clutch squeak

Post by arctichotspur »

Hi guys. I have a 1986 MK1a NA. Today I changed the clutch fluid and bled the clutch. I used dot4 brake fluid. Everything went more or less fine. The clutch pedal is very firm(perhaps a bit too firm) and even from start to end of pedal. I used a bleeding vacuum tool for the bleeding job. 4 or 5 times when bleeding the system I closed the bleeder screw and pressed the clutch pedal several times and filled the clutch fluid container before continuing. The third time I checked and went to press the clutch pedal it had no resistance at all and went to the floor with no effort. After 5-6 presses it came back and was very firm and even.

However after this I got a squeaky noise when pressing and depressing the clutch. Its mainly when depressing it. It comes from the slave cylinder or clutch fork as far as I can see/hear. There is no difference in noise whether the car is running or off. There is no vibration in the clutch pedal when pressing or depressing it. The clutch pedal feels a lot firmer now after the bleed than before.

Hope you have some ideas ;)

Topic author
arctichotspur
Years of MR2 Ownership: 1

Re: Clutch squeak

Post by arctichotspur »

Ok, so I greased all I could on the clutch fork last night only using my fingers. After greasing the squeak was still present. After driving the car and and letting it have a good night sleep it seems like the squeak is somewhat gone. Will however keep an ear out if it returns sometime soon.

Edited 22.03.21:

When going over everything in my engine bay I discovered that the clutch wire was very tight in the "bracket" holding the clutch wire in the engine bay. I loosened this and making it hold the wire less tight. Still no squeak however...But could be worth looking at if some are experiencing same problems after a bleed.
Last edited by arctichotspur on 22/03/21 12:07, edited 1 time in total.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18

Re: Clutch squeak

Post by jimi »

Clutch fork pivot was going to be my suggestion, it would probably take a bit of use to work the grease down to the pivot pin. Hopefully that's cured it :th:
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 1 week old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK1”